}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
The Next RPG
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Announcements » The Next RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should be the next SWRPGS RPG?
AU GCW Star Wars setting
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Canon GCW Star Wars setting
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Pre/Post-GCW Star Wars setting
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
Other Star Wars setting
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
New (IX) Trek setting
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Other Trek Setting
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other Sci Fi setting
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Other setting
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Multiple RPGs (please describe)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Tue, June 09th 2009 04:34pm    Post subject: The Next RPG

Well, as general consensus decided in the last thread, SWVIII is very likely to be closed indefinitely. This may be permanent, or we may, hopefully, one day revisit it.

This is the second poll in what is probably a series of three polls. The last poll decided the fate of SWVIII (closure with opening a new RPG), and the next poll will decide the type of RPG we'll be playing (pure character/mixed, etc). Here, we'll be deciding what kind of RPG we want to see next. We value everyone's input, and we want every single one of you to always remain a part of this family, but there are some things up front that we can or cannot do.

Firstly, you can vote for whatever you want, but please don't go suggesting something that is well known that most of our base have no interest in. I can say that at least half of you like Star Trek, for instance, but I know not everyone would like, for example, Farscape. So, try to keep something in mind that most people would like.

Secondly, I can't say whether we can run two games concurrently. We do have the fact that every RPG outside of SWVII and SWVIII we've hosted has failed. The best chance would be focusing on one game, I think. However, I'm not going to rule out the possibility that we could have two games.

Thirdly, the admin structure will remain. Han, Moff, Zara and myself are the owners of SWRPGS, therefore, CMAC will always have to exist in some form. I know Alex suggested a more-or-less adminless RPG, but that's just not possible. All admins that are on SWVIII will be given first choice to be admins on the new game. That's entirely voluntary. If we don't have enough admins, we may recruit more.

However, we're definitely going to be taking your input into consideration much more than was at the start of SWVII. SWVII began on the heels of a sudden game closure; this time, we can plan. Your input will be taken heavily into consideration during these polls.

Once again, thanks to everyone for helping us decide this. Please post your opinion when you vote. Be sure to describe your ideas, whether they be for a totally different setting, or if they include plotlines or timelines. Even if you're not sure what you want, please post anyway.

Thanks!

Last edited by Nevin Antilles on Tue, June 09th 2009 04:39pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Tiara Tranada
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Tue, June 09th 2009 08:49pm    Post subject:

Woo first vote...

I voted for "Other Sci-Fi Setting" because I doubt that people will vote for another Star Wars one and I want my vote to actually count :P

I'm not a big Trek fan, the only one I actually like is Voyager and I don't think it could really support the whole community we have here.

I would suggest an AU RPG based in the Firefly universe, set after the events of the movie when the Alliance's hold on the border worlds is crumbling. A new browncoats movement has sprung up and seized a host of border worlds. Miranda has become the new capital for these Independents after the PAX was removed from the atmosphere.

Colonel Tiara Tranada
Agent Stentax 666

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Tue, June 09th 2009 11:50pm    Post subject:

I don't know anything about Firefly. :(

Honestly, I wouldn't mind doing several RPGs in an ideal world... but that could be very difficult. I'm leaning toward a wide-scale Trek game, myself. But I could go for lots of stuff.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p

Last edited by Ams Jendob on Tue, June 09th 2009 11:51pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Han Solo
CMAC Artist

Post Posted: Tue, June 09th 2009 11:56pm    Post subject:

From what I said in the last thread, I don't think it should come as a surprise for what I voted for. Star Wars, of course. Preferably post-GCW.

As for Firefly, I don't know enough about the universe to play. Trek I could stomach, but my first love is still Star Wars.

"You know, if you could apply that smuggler's brain to real politics, you'd be my equal."
"Meaning I wouldn't be able to just draw my blaster and shoot the politicians? What kind of a deal is that?"

---Leia and Han
 Back to top »
Zero
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Wed, June 10th 2009 05:50am    Post subject:

I'm all for a new game, since we need to do something...

I'm just wondering, would it be possible to use our characters from VII/I in this new continuity? I've grown quite accustomed to Zero and it would be nice to RP as Jase again

<Rank image pending...>

Scyntor: Oh and this is my new best friend Zero...no...noooo...don't point the big experimental plasma weapon at the nice rebel leader...
 Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Wed, June 10th 2009 12:30pm    Post subject:

I'm torn between New Trek and Post-GCW. Echoing Jase's point, I have become attached to Nespis, and I would want to try and restablish it in a new SW RPG. Is that... leeegal?

-Grand Admiral, Chief of Staff of Nespis Defence Force-

"LOL DILDOS" - Cray | "FFS" - Ams | "Moff, you should know better." - Han

Alex says:
I outnumber him ten million to one
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:
everytime i talk to alexus, i love him a little more

Holder of the 30,000th post

Inventor of the phrase "I'll get my killin' hat." (Seriously. Google it.)

"My gut can't repel comedy of that magnitude!" - Jace911
 Back to top »
Kilvec Ordo
Lieutenant

Post Posted: Wed, June 10th 2009 02:13pm    Post subject:

All you saying you don't know enough of Firefly, behold the magics of Hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/firefly?c=Science-Fiction

You can watch the whole series for free there, so dig in.

I too voted for 'other Sci-Fi' genera. My list of favorite possibilities stands from the previous thread. Firefly, Halo, or Mass Effect.

Kilvec Ordo

Chief Commander of the Citadel Krytocracy

"You just broke physics."-Peyr Baelish

"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of Kilvec's nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Gustaf Koehler." -Alexus
 Back to top »
Han Solo
CMAC Artist

Post Posted: Wed, June 10th 2009 02:27pm    Post subject:

I have the whole series. Just didn't get around to watching it yet.

"You know, if you could apply that smuggler's brain to real politics, you'd be my equal."
"Meaning I wouldn't be able to just draw my blaster and shoot the politicians? What kind of a deal is that?"

---Leia and Han
 Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Wed, June 10th 2009 02:42pm    Post subject:

I voted for a Star Wars game, though I still feel as though if we approach this like VIII (Admin, faction, etc), we face the same problem. We have at most 7 players who will respond, and rejoin. Do we really need 3 people policing the other four...

This shouldn't be some stressful project, this should be fun and inventive. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

I think this has made me realize how special VI/VIII have been, and losing our characters is a sad tale. We should just time warp 17 years into the future, and go from there. It would be fun to play as Arlyn's children. :P

If we restart (any RPG), we need a new way to play the game. It needs to feel, look, and play new. It just might slump back into boringness.

Last edited by Alatáriël Pallanén on Wed, June 10th 2009 02:59pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Wed, June 10th 2009 03:54pm    Post subject:

Also, we could reuse some stuff if we keep SW. I feel really sorry for CMAC making all this lovely art and so forth and it going to waste :(

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, June 10th 2009 06:10pm    Post subject:

Well, I voted for Trek... mostly because I'll frankly play anything short of really hardcore canon SW. AU SW, Trek, a flipping hybrid of BSG and ST and SW and steampunk (that is... you have the ship designs and probably character names with steampunk tech :p) if you guys wanted.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Luke Skywalker
CMAC Associate

Post Posted: Wed, June 10th 2009 06:24pm    Post subject:

Alatáriël Pallanén wrote:
I voted for a Star Wars game, though I still feel as though if we approach this like VIII (Admin, faction, etc), we face the same problem. .... If we restart (any RPG), we need a new way to play the game. It needs to feel, look, and play new. It just might slump back into boringness.

This. This, this, this, a hundred thousand times this. I know that the next thread will talk about the type of RPG, but I feel this needs addressing now if we're picking a setting. We need a smaller scope. SWVIII was way too big. I mean, there were forums with no posts in them. And for a new player (or even some of the regular players) it made it impossible to try and figure out what was going on. I've been a member here for over four years, and I don't think I ever knew what the state of the galaxy was in that time. But anyway, I'll focus on that discussion more when we get the next poll going.

As for this thread, I voted for another sci-fi setting. Ideally, I'd prefer to play in a completely unique setting. Something we created. It would give us a lot more freedom to work with and would certainly keep us from having to rule anything as non-canon. :P

But obviously, the problem lies in making a new universe. It's a lot of work, and why should we go through that when we can just take an established universe and be off the ground? I'm just throwing the idea out there, but I don't expect it to take off. I'll watch to see what develops out of this, anyway. Maybe I'll play, maybe I won't, but for now, I'll be waiting.
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, June 10th 2009 08:24pm    Post subject:

Quote:
But obviously, the problem lies in making a new universe. It's a lot of work

No kidding... :p

Still, the vast majority seem to want a Star Wars game--and even though the polls don't say it, the posts do--set in an AU.

Expand

Back to top »
Tiara Tranada
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Thu, June 11th 2009 02:11am    Post subject:

I actually like Zara's idea and it wouldn't be that hard to make if we all chipped in. It means that we can have as many crossovers as we want :D

There is even a blank map of the Star Wars galaxy that we can populate with our own stars...

http://img247.imageshack.us/i/alapfp1.jpg/

Colonel Tiara Tranada
Agent Stentax 666

Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Thu, June 11th 2009 11:29am    Post subject:

Honestly, before last night, I wanted to vote for ST or other. However, CMAC got together last night to discuss settings for a post-GCW AU type RPG, and I'm kind of convinced it would be a good setting. I'll have to talk to the others before we post any details, though.
ECP Member

Post Posted: Thu, June 11th 2009 11:32am    Post subject:

Perhaps an SW RPG set in one sector, or something similar? Or, hell, 'Wild Space' which is so unexplored I was able to totally invent loads of stuff for my last Sienar plotline.

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Thu, June 11th 2009 12:51pm    Post subject:

Eh. You guys seem to like the Galactic stuff.

The scaling issue comes in when we try to throw economics and combat into the mix. In pre-PT EU, four ISDs was Daala's OMGHOLYSHIT Death Fleet of Doom. She was going to lay waste to the NR with those four vessels. Thrawn's battlefleet was a handful of ISDs, less than a dozen medium cruisers, and around twenty light cruisers. This strike force brought the Republic to its knees.

Then you have the 1000 ship blockade of Naboo. The million-droid army at Geonosis, with tens of millions more in ships. 200,000 clones deployed all at once. The Battle of Coruscant was supposedly waged with many thousands of vessels... all at once. And we're not counting fighters like they do in Star Trek. :p

VII started out small. 25 Rebel ships versus 17 Imperial ones, plus fighters. We grew... we involved... we had a plan. Then some joker sells Acclamators for 100 credits a pop and buys a thousand of them for himself. :p

Thus was born the first rollback in SWVII/I history, since CMAC decided it needed to set the prices from there on out.

Then came the first income revision, switching from a totally arbitrary system where no planet made over a quarter billion credits to a population-based one where, roughly, a citizen provided one credit of tax income per year. And then things began to take off in terms of asset development. The Empire no longer had to wait two weeks to purchase an ISD: Coruscant alone provided 14-20 a week.

Of course, we were a "realistic" SW RPG... in reality, the Empire had posted large fleets to every sector in the realm. So, I had no complaints about entire Navies being fielded in the thousands of ships. The only problem was when people started to throw the entire Navy at a single target. :p

Of course, the superships cropped up in there too, but... eh. :p

Now, as far as this conjectured new game is concerned, we haven't worked out how to handle economy and assets. I'm sure some would prefer we didn't altogether... but the whole point behind the VII/I econ-asset system was what I'd seen in other RPGs where players just invented billion-man armies at the blink of an eye... with insane skill capability too. One such claim was "One of my men can kill 50,000 Stormtroopers before going down." Or was it half a million... in any case... yeah. I didn't want that to happen in my games. :p

Now, of course, I like playing with fleets and armies and organizing stuff too. So it'll probably be around, and actually have some meaning, in one form or another. But it was the strict adherence to the materials system of this game that led to its downfall, too... so we must walk carefully.

Expand

Last edited by Ams Jendob on Thu, June 11th 2009 12:53pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Thu, June 11th 2009 01:14pm    Post subject:

I advocate (and I'm sure Zara and Han do too) a much looser system that has no set values, similar to the system we were developing for KotOR... but, like I said, those type of specifics should wait until the next poll.
CMAC Associate

Post Posted: Thu, June 11th 2009 01:43pm    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:
Eh. You guys seem to like the Galactic stuff.

Galactic Stuff is fun, yeah. When it works. The problem with this RPG wasn't how everything was overscaled (well, it was, but we'll leave that for now), but the galaxy was just physically too big. We need to leave some planets out. It might not be canonically correct, but it gets way too bloated otherwise. And then you just have a bunch of people doing their own plotlines in different corners of the galaxy without ever getting a chance to actually RP with anyone.

Don't get me wrong, epic conflicts are great fun, but we don't have enough people in this RPG to really make them work well enough.
ECP Member

Post Posted: Thu, June 11th 2009 02:18pm    Post subject:

I didn't say anything Galactic...

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Thu, June 11th 2009 03:35pm    Post subject:

Your mom did... >_>

:p

Expand

Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Thu, June 11th 2009 04:21pm    Post subject:

I do agree we should cut down on the number of planets, and especially the number of forums. We should keep things as simple as possible.
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Thu, June 11th 2009 04:44pm    Post subject:

Yeah, definitely.

Expand

Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Fri, June 12th 2009 12:24am    Post subject:

Alrighty, here's what we came up with after a couple days of brainstorming. We think it's a very good idea based on everything we've heard, but everyone is going to have to compromise a bit, as we would with any new RPG. So, have an open mind, and read on.

The RPG will start at/around 41 ABY. Up until about 12 ABY, things will remain canon. When Admiral Daala tries to unite the Imperial warlords; however, this time, she succeeds and the Empire is able to seriously contend with the newly forming New Republic for a much longer period of time, building their strength along the way.

However, in 20 ABY, the sudden, mysterious departure of almost half the Empire's military to the Unknown Regions - including some of the most hardcore Imperials - leaves the superpower in a bad position, spread thin across many worlds. It is not long before the Empire and the Alliance enter a truce. Out of this emerges a new Empire, led by forward-minded leaders, attempting to rebuild its worlds peacefully. The reason for and location of the other Imperial forces' abandonment still remains unknown...

As time goes on, the differences between the Alliance and the Empire become narrower and narrower. In 29 ABY, the Alliance and the Empire enter in the Galactic Union, a joint government with the two factions as member states. Finally, the galaxy is united in peace and genuine friendship, divided like provinces within a single country.

In early 41 ABY, rumors start to spread of a new power arising in the Unknown Regions, spreading tendrils out into the rest of the galaxy. This is where the game starts.

Let me pause from explaining the narrative for a minute. At this point, the only two factions in the galaxy allowed will be the Empire and the Alliance. The entire galaxy is effectively united, and other factions are small or insignificant enough at this point that they'll be non-playable (unless you want to be independent). The Galactic Union is to the Empire and the Alliance as the European Union is to the countries of Europe, except even more united.

After some time has gone in in-game, the True Empire will return to the galaxy, in full force and ready to take back its rightful claims. The stress and division of loyalty between the residents of the Galactic Union will eventually tear it apart. The True Empire will also have been infiltrating the galaxy for some time, planning its return. In the midst of this chaos, this is when new factions will form from small groups of breakaway planets - and this will be the only time, excepting very special circumstances.

When the game starts, no one IC will know the True Empire is coming back, but OOC, we'll be planning for it.

Since I know someone will ask about it, the Jedi Order will be alive indeed. However, due to influence due to the union of the Empire and the Alliance, they will not be quite as pristine as their canon counterparts, and will have drifted closer to grey.

The battlesystem will be nothing like SWVIII's. There will be no assets, no fleets, no maintenance, and no specifications. All battles will be decided by RPing and common sense. The prototype template for this system was created by Zara and I on KotOR, and it is a great system filled with fun that we believe will work very well on the new game. It's kind of difficult to explain, but it is outlined very well, and numerous examples will be present when the game actually opens.

So, as you can see, most of this is ironed out. If you guys like it, we'll get a forum up as soon as possible so we can start planning out the nitty-gritty. :)

Last edited by Nevin Antilles on Fri, June 12th 2009 12:29am; edited 3 times in total
 Back to top »
Luke Skywalker
CMAC Associate

Post Posted: Fri, June 12th 2009 12:41am    Post subject:

I generally like it, and I'm hoping we can keep things different enough in order to prevent it from getting stale. I'd especially like to see the new battle system in working order, since things will no doubt be a lot more exciting that way.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Announcements » The Next RPG
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: