}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Fate of SWVIII
Goto page 1, 2  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Announcements » Fate of SWVIII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should the fate of Episode VIII be?
Do a minor reboot, allowing people to retcon their characters
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Reboot the game entirely from the start, keeping the same carryovers from SWVII
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Restart the entire timeline, starting the game in the same universe totally anew, with new characters and factions, sometime after the Battle of Endor
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Close SWVIII and start a new RPG under a new name, timeline and/or setting
61%
 61%  [ 8 ]
Close SWVIII and don't open anything else; I'm done with RPing
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Leave it open in current form; complete the economy refit
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Leave the game's plotlines intact, but change the type of game (for example, towards a factionless, assetless, pure-character RPG)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Wed, June 03rd 2009 04:21pm    Post subject: Fate of SWVIII

Hi guys,

I know I haven't been around for a while until the last few days, but CMAC has elected me to speak for us, apparently because I'm the most attractive or eloquent or something. :p

As you all know, SWVIII is in dire straights. Activity is zero. We want to know what anyone who's still out there thinks. It's up to you if you want to continue. If you don't, then CMAC doesn't see a reason to continue the RPG in its current form. So, please vote - admins included - and please explain your reasoning and give any other comments.

It's not a good time for us. I'm not going to say we can pull out of this, but we may have a chance to exist together as a community in some form, whether it be SWVIII or not. We have the means and tools needed to create or refit the game; we just need the players. It's been four years, and that's a lot of work and relationships to let disintegrate. But, it's entirely up to you. CMAC will do whatever the majority vote is. If we decide to start another RPG, we'll discuss that option more in depth later. Thanks. :)

Last edited by Nevin Antilles on Wed, June 03rd 2009 04:25pm; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top »
Derek Brand
Sergeant

Post Posted: Wed, June 03rd 2009 08:13pm    Post subject:

I thought hard about this, and it seems to me that we're too concerned on material items in this game (IE 'I own this planet' or 'I made this ship and sold it') and the game has turned into an econ war, instead of a role playing game. Granted there are still excellent posts on character development and story, but we seem to be too concerned with the faction side of the story, rather than the characters.

Another issue is the battle system (Don't worry, Moff, I'm not blaming you). Actually, it's more the fact that we have a battle system that's the problem. It implies that we can't be trusted to weave an epic tale of space fantasy and combat without saying 'I bring X ships to blow up your Y ships and I win. End of story'. Instead we need a computer to do it for us. If we could simply try to work on creating a great story instead of working to better our own characters at the cost of everyone else's, I think we could form something great.

After considerable deliberation, I say we turn back the clock and go back to VII and try not to come back down this road. VIII's been great, but it's beginning to become a bit bloated and weighed down with unnecessary clutter. It's time for change.*

*=Barack Obama does not endorse this message. :P

EDIT: And no, this is not a 'good-bye' speech. I'm not going anywhere. ;)

*Stabs Wedge repeatedly* :P Now everybody's happy. - Lazer

In Soviet Russia, Force uses you! :P - Kypjargon

Sarin, you ***** *** pansy, you screw with me, you screw with my GIANT LASER GUN. - Xaph, imitating Commander Shepard

Last edited by Derek Brand on Wed, June 03rd 2009 08:14pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Tiara Tranada
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Thu, June 04th 2009 01:00am    Post subject:

I say we finish the refit ... I think that once we're fully open for business again that people will come back.

Colonel Tiara Tranada
Agent Stentax 666

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Thu, June 04th 2009 11:43am    Post subject:

Indeed... but the concern is we may not be able to finish the refit before everyone shrugs their shoulders and leaves for greener pastures. :(

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kilvec Ordo
Lieutenant

Post Posted: Thu, June 04th 2009 01:30pm    Post subject:

I chose the 'new setting' thing. I'd walk to greener pastures, but you guys are to fun. :)

Kilvec Ordo

Chief Commander of the Citadel Krytocracy

"You just broke physics."-Peyr Baelish

"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of Kilvec's nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Gustaf Koehler." -Alexus
 Back to top »
Luke Skywalker
CMAC Associate

Post Posted: Thu, June 04th 2009 02:34pm    Post subject:

I've gotta go with a new setting too. Don't get me wrong, I feel terrible about leaving this place behind and letting go of my characters, but I just... Can't get excited about Star Wars anymore. The entire universe is boring to me nowadays, and as you can probably guess, that makes it hard to RP in it.

Not to say that I'm completely writing off Star Wars, but I'd sooner take part in something completely different than another SW-universe.
ECP Member

Post Posted: Thu, June 04th 2009 04:27pm    Post subject:

This is a terrible, and sad day.

With those that are left, perhaps we could close the RPG, with an "afterwards".

Like we all get a chance to write the ending to our characters. (And it can all be compiled into a large post...)

I.E. : Arlyn and Ryan grow up and produce a healthy, large family and live happily ever after on Coronus, while staying in contact with the Rebellion and Nespis from time to time.

I.E2. : Rebellion falls to the Empire, but gains momentum as Jendob starts a civil war; Luke kills Palpatine, Han saves the day, and the galaxy begins anew.

My storyline on Coruscant, is virtually tying up loose ends with the galaxy any ways.

I do, however, have a suggestion for the next forum, as I do not want to lose contact with all of you. I think some of us deserve the status quo of equals, and the administration and the formation of CMAC has caused rifts, and political games that have interrupted the community from time to time.

I wish to see it as a broader council, something that has six or seven roles. All of these "Battle Masters", "Economic Masters" :P, etc, drags down the abilities and the time-effort one individual can make. If we role play something else, if we start anew, lets do so, as equals. Everyone has one voice, one vote, one say.

We have all earned that...
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Thu, June 04th 2009 04:29pm    Post subject:

I voted to start anew, btw.

I think we've cornered ourselves in this game, but everyone deserves a gold star.
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Thu, June 04th 2009 04:29pm    Post subject:

How's your Klingon? :p

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Thu, June 04th 2009 04:59pm    Post subject:

bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'

:twisted:
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Thu, June 04th 2009 06:34pm    Post subject:

Vengeance is a dish best served cold? :p

Expand

Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Thu, June 04th 2009 06:48pm    Post subject:

Revenge*
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Thu, June 04th 2009 07:19pm    Post subject:

...How did I miss your first two posts, Alex? :?

Quote:
This is a terrible, and sad day.

With those that are left, perhaps we could close the RPG, with an "afterwards".

One idea we've had would be an AU of the AU, but with some ties to VIII. :p

Of course, we have another idea for people that aren't requiring a Star Wars setting to play. >_>

Expand

Back to top »
Carlist Rieekan
Master Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, June 05th 2009 04:27am    Post subject:

I would say we complete the economy refit and press on. We need a new major event though, as I don't know about anyone else but that's the kind of thing which gets me excited about the game.

Back to top »
dudop
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, June 05th 2009 11:56am    Post subject:

I like the idea of this game, but I haven't been here long enough to feel attached to it. I would like a start-over simply because my current situation sucks, one character is essentially null-and-viod while the other is useless until the reboot finishes. I still like Arlyn's idea of having final posts, or else some sort of anything-goes storyline wrap-up.

As for Derek's complaint against the Battlesystem, I think that without it there would be too many disagrements. The whole "My Nebulons are better than your Dreadnauts" and "No, mine are better, you lose" would get out of control real fast.

I don't like the idea of being equals, even if my place is near the bottom. If I was the equal of all of you, it would just drag everyone down. You frakking liberal. :P
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, June 05th 2009 01:21pm    Post subject:

Down! Down Dudop, or no more Rush for you. :p

Quote:
Another issue is the battle system (Don't worry, Moff, I'm not blaming you). Actually, it's more the fact that we have a battle system that's the problem. It implies that we can't be trusted to weave an epic tale of space fantasy and combat without saying 'I bring X ships to blow up your Y ships and I win. End of story'. Instead we need a computer to do it for us. If we could simply try to work on creating a great story instead of working to better our own characters at the cost of everyone else's, I think we could form something great.

We have that. You can role-play battles. >_>

The battlesystem is only there for when there is sharp disagreement or someone believes they're being treated unfairly. And unfortunately, it got so complicated because the original goal was realism... and that works fine when you have a fleet comprising four ISDs and a dozen lighter ships. However, it fails miserably and woefully when people bring 700, 1000, or 3,000 ship fleet to the part--not counting fighters.

Quote:
As for Derek's complaint against the Battlesystem, I think that without it there would be too many disagrements. The whole "My Nebulons are better than your Dreadnauts" and "No, mine are better, you lose" would get out of control real fast.

That too.

Expand

Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Fri, June 05th 2009 04:50pm    Post subject:

I would like to start a new RPG under a new setting. I've had so much fun over the years of VII and VIII. I first came to this RPG as a young idiot (I was about 14, lol) Since then I've made my characters and I've RPed and we've had fun. But I'm such a different person now, I feel like those characters aren't me anymore. I think it's time for a fresh start.

It's time for change.

We don't live in a black SWVIII and a Jewish SWVIII and a Red SWVIII and a Blue SWVIII and a Rebel SWVIII, we live in a UNITED SWVIII

AND PEOPLE DONATED TO THAT SWVIII.

PEOPLE ACROSS AMERICA, GIVING TEN DOLLARS, TWENTY DOLLARS THIRTY DOL

-Grand Admiral, Chief of Staff of Nespis Defence Force-

"LOL DILDOS" - Cray | "FFS" - Ams | "Moff, you should know better." - Han

Alex says:
I outnumber him ten million to one
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:
everytime i talk to alexus, i love him a little more

Holder of the 30,000th post

Inventor of the phrase "I'll get my killin' hat." (Seriously. Google it.)

"My gut can't repel comedy of that magnitude!" - Jace911

Last edited by Velora Antana on Fri, June 05th 2009 04:50pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, June 05th 2009 04:57pm    Post subject:

So, do you guys want something SW? Or totally different?

If we go SW, do you want something similar to VII/I? That seems to be popular... ah, **** it. I need to make a new poll, don't I? :p

Expand

Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Fri, June 05th 2009 05:04pm    Post subject:

I like Polls. I met a lovely one who was studying Economics at Warwick. She was from Łódź.

-Grand Admiral, Chief of Staff of Nespis Defence Force-

"LOL DILDOS" - Cray | "FFS" - Ams | "Moff, you should know better." - Han

Alex says:
I outnumber him ten million to one
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:
everytime i talk to alexus, i love him a little more

Holder of the 30,000th post

Inventor of the phrase "I'll get my killin' hat." (Seriously. Google it.)

"My gut can't repel comedy of that magnitude!" - Jace911
 Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Fri, June 05th 2009 06:37pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I've had so much fun over the years of VII and VIII. I first came to this RPG as a young idiot (I was about 14, lol) Since then I've made my characters and I've RPed and we've had fun. But I'm such a different person now, I feel like those characters aren't me anymore. I think it's time for a fresh start.

Man, you have no idea how much I agree with that.
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, June 05th 2009 06:39pm    Post subject:

Well, I already gave you my idea on how to get Nevin out of the way... :p

Expand

Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Fri, June 05th 2009 08:58pm    Post subject:

Can I get... Carnor out of the way....

:P
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, June 05th 2009 09:10pm    Post subject:

No. Carnor still likes Carnor. :p

*whaps Arlyn on the nose with a newspaper* Bad girl!

Expand

Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Fri, June 05th 2009 10:33pm    Post subject:

Where is that little man, any ways? :P
Petyr Baelish
Aedile

Post Posted: Sun, June 07th 2009 12:18pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I've had so much fun over the years of VII and VIII. I first came to this RPG as a young idiot (I was about 14, lol) Since then I've made my characters and I've RPed and we've had fun. But I'm such a different person now, I feel like those characters aren't me anymore. I think it's time for a fresh start.

Agreed. I voted for new setting. I can't really do Baelish anymore.

2084rpg.net - Business, science, intrigue, and rebellion.

"Pazaak bores me. I often suspect my opponent of cheating. I prefer predictable games, such as galactic economics."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Announcements » Fate of SWVIII
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: