}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Swine Flu...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Off-Topic » Swine Flu...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, April 26th 2009 03:58am    Post subject: Swine Flu...

I figured since we have people from all over the world here, I thought we'd be able to discuss this, and keep tabs on the worldwide news agencies.

(CNN) -- A potentially deadly new strain of the swine flu virus cropped up in more places in the United States and Mexico on Saturday, in what the World Health Organization called "a public health emergency of international concern."

I would post the entire article, but new information would likely be available. My heart goes out to those in Mexico City, and especially to those who have lost someone to the infection. : (
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sun, April 26th 2009 11:13am    Post subject:

While my sympathies do go out to those in Mexico... this is just going to be SARS and avian flu all over again. Months of "OMG WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1" followed by several sporadic, isolated outbreaks and very little else. I feel for the people that actually get it, but this is just going to spark a wave of mass hysteria.

Yet another case of the news creating a panic to report on. The days of the media having a hint of responsibility in its reporting are long since gone.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p

Last edited by Ams Jendob on Sun, April 26th 2009 11:15am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, April 26th 2009 01:55pm    Post subject:

Agreed. HN51 was a great big nothing, it's not the end of the world and neither is swine flu. The important thing is not to panic.

I do feel terribly sorry for whoever has it though.

-Grand Admiral, Chief of Staff of Nespis Defence Force-

"LOL DILDOS" - Cray | "FFS" - Ams | "Moff, you should know better." - Han

Alex says:
I outnumber him ten million to one
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:
everytime i talk to alexus, i love him a little more

Holder of the 30,000th post

Inventor of the phrase "I'll get my killin' hat." (Seriously. Google it.)

"My gut can't repel comedy of that magnitude!" - Jace911
 Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, April 26th 2009 03:16pm    Post subject:

The Avian flu was different, this has three specific influenza (bird, pig, and human), all tied together. And not only is it jumping from human to human like wildfire, it's mutating. There are only 20 confirmed cases, and that's up 12 within 24 hours, and hundreds that were direct contact, are reporting the same symptoms.

No deaths have resulted yet, but we are only in the preliminary stages. It took 1,000 infected people for 81 to die, and that number is likely to climb. Making it a 10% lethal rate?

If you recall the Spanish Flu of 1918, 40 million, dead within a year.

This is likely to kill 300 - 600 million, as no immunity exists. And if it has hit NYC, and California, centers of commerce for the rest of the US, it's safe to assume the virus will appear everywhere. It's already possibly in New Zealand...

Though hand washing, and that bullshit, was stated, I'd be keeping your eyes open...even if the media is blowing this out. Seems to me, there was an attempt to keep it hush hush. There was a lot of confusion, but it's not every day, a country shuts down it's capital.
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, April 26th 2009 03:18pm    Post subject:

Then again, I am overly paranoid. But better so, than being United States Health Victim Zero Zero Zero, Zero Zero One.
Han Solo
CMAC Artist

Post Posted: Sun, April 26th 2009 04:13pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure what to think of it. It appears that this thing in Mexico has spread to areas that were already prone to sickness and other health issues and that's why 81 people died from this disease. From what I gathered of the cases in the US, they are very mild and treatable with Tamiflu and Relenza(both household flu medicines).

So, is there a real need for concern? I'm not so sure. We should keep an eye on it, but it just looks to be another media field day.

"You know, if you could apply that smuggler's brain to real politics, you'd be my equal."
"Meaning I wouldn't be able to just draw my blaster and shoot the politicians? What kind of a deal is that?"

---Leia and Han
 Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, April 26th 2009 04:40pm    Post subject:

Tamiflu and Relenza are only effective the first 48 hours, at most. And even then, it's not a real guarantee. That's why I'm spooked.

As for the 81 deaths, they've had it longer, and it's been brewing longer. It's only at the first baby-stages here. That why NYC received 1,500 additional medical vaccinations, though those are just precautionary. (As at this time, no immunity or true vaccination exists). Tamiflu/Relenza, only stops the virus from replicating.

The confirmed-infected people of Kansas, New Zealand, NYC, and California have all been isolated, but they had days to interact with other people and spread the virus. If this strain was able to collect Pig, Human and Bird Influenza, the worst scenario, is if it morphs with something else...
Carlist Rieekan
Master Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, April 26th 2009 06:35pm    Post subject:

Sounds like another media field day, like Han said. I do sympathise with those affected, though.

Unless we start seeing the death toll in Mexico start rising a lot higher, im not worried.

Last edited by Carlist Rieekan on Sun, April 26th 2009 06:36pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sun, April 26th 2009 06:52pm    Post subject:

Alex, calm down. Panicking only leads to stress, which leads to a weakened immune system. :p

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Han Solo
CMAC Artist

Post Posted: Sun, April 26th 2009 08:36pm    Post subject:

Alatáriël Pallanén wrote:
Tamiflu and Relenza are only effective the first 48 hours, at most. And even then, it's not a real guarantee. That's why I'm spooked.

That's not what CNN said earlier. They seemed fairly confident that Tamiflu is effective against this thing, but we'll see.

Quote:
As for the 81 deaths, they've had it longer, and it's been brewing longer. It's only at the first baby-stages here. That why NYC received 1,500 additional medical vaccinations, though those are just precautionary. (As at this time, no immunity or true vaccination exists). Tamiflu/Relenza, only stops the virus from replicating.

But of those 81 deaths, only 20 have been confirmed to be a result of the new strain of flu. That's not all that high considering the deaths that occur every year as a result of the regular flu outbreak.

I'm not trying to brush this thing off, I'm as concerned as anyone else, but like Moff said, it's too early to start panicking. We don't even know what this thing is gonna do and for all we know, this thing could be history come next week at this time. We just have to sit back, watch it closely and react to developments accordingly.

"You know, if you could apply that smuggler's brain to real politics, you'd be my equal."
"Meaning I wouldn't be able to just draw my blaster and shoot the politicians? What kind of a deal is that?"

---Leia and Han
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sun, April 26th 2009 08:45pm    Post subject:

Right. If you go bonkers over every "crisis" the media puts forth...

Expand

Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Mon, April 27th 2009 04:37am    Post subject:

This 'crisis', I believe is different. :P The death toll went from 81, to 106. (suspected, but blood tests are still pending), from 8 confirmed cases in the US, to 20. Overnight.

MSNBC:
Quote:
There is no vaccine against swine flu, but the CDC has taken the initial step necessary for producing one — creating a seed stock of the virus — should authorities decide that’s necessary. Last winter’s flu shot offers no cross-protection to the new virus, although it’s possible that older people exposed to various Type A flu strains in the past may have some immunity, CDC officials said Sunday.

Quote:
“We expect there to be a broader spectrum of disease here in the U.S.,” said Dr. Anne Schuchat, interim deputy director for the agency’s Science and Public Health Program. “I do fear that we will have deaths here.”

CNN:

Quote:
"Given the reports out of Mexico, I would expect that over time we're going to see more severe disease in this country," said Dr. Richard Besser, the CDC's acting director.

WHO:

Quote:
Information is insufficient to make recommendation on the use of the antivirals in prevention and
treatment of swine influenza virus infection.

BBC:

Quote:
The WHO - the UN's health agency - has said the swine flu virus could be capable of mutating into a more dangerous strain.

I'm not saying this could just turn to bantha fodder in a week, but I like being ontop of the ball here. That semester of Journalism affects one that way. :P

Better to know the reported facts, than face this blindly. Glad all of you are open minded though, and I think it'll be different once it hits the Eastern Coast harder. It's in my backyard, pratically. :(

And immune systems are useless, as most of the people that died, were fit, healthy young adults. Not the typical infant and elderly. We will know if this gets nasty, within a week.
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Mon, April 27th 2009 04:43am    Post subject:

Oh! And I'm only going crazy on here, because you guys are some of the people I care about.... and I don't want to be on a forum all by myself... :cry:
Carlist Rieekan
Master Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, April 27th 2009 07:06am    Post subject:

Deaths have jumped to 103 overnight. While that isn't exactly nothing, unless we start seeing the toll sky-rocket, im still not that concerned.

Six possible UK cases. :(

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Mon, April 27th 2009 11:42am    Post subject:

We'll all be fine. :p

Besides, those cases in New York are already being treated with something like a 99.9% chance of full recovery.

This isn't 1918. It's not gonna be the Spanish Flu all over again.:p

Expand

Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Mon, April 27th 2009 11:51am    Post subject:

Spanish flu was also pretty bad because it came just after the largest war in history (to that date) which involved millions of people being underfed, redirection of medical supplies to soldiers, and millions of people travelling around the world without quarantine regulations...

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Mon, April 27th 2009 12:19pm    Post subject:

Exactly.

Expand

Back to top »
Carlist Rieekan
Master Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, April 27th 2009 02:36pm    Post subject:

There's now over 2200 people infected, with deaths pushing towards the 150 mark.

Back to top »
Han Solo
CMAC Artist

Post Posted: Mon, April 27th 2009 03:02pm    Post subject:

And all of the deaths appear to still be centered in Mexico. I've been hearing rumors that something may be mixing with the virus in Mexico to turn it deadly. Once it reaches beyond their borders, that factor is eliminated and that's what is resulting in milder cases for the rest of the world. This is just rumor for the moment, but interesting nonetheless.

And I say we quarantine NYC. The confirmed count rose to 40 this morning for the United States and that's all due to those students that got sick at that high school in New York. Keep your cooties to yourself! You're only 3 hours away from us and I don't want this thing coming here.

---Leia and Han
 Back to top »
Shayera Jendob
Huggably, Lovably Able to Kill You

Post Posted: Mon, April 27th 2009 07:13pm    Post subject:

Hell... I say we make NYC its own state. Free upstate from the stranglehold of downstate politicians. :p

Colonel Shayera Jendob - Chief of Security for Supreme Moff Jendob
Expand
 Back to top »
Leyao Quon
Private

Post Posted: Tue, April 28th 2009 03:43am    Post subject:

Some suspected cases here in Australia too. Not sure on numbers only saw it in a headline.

Field Marshall Leyao Quon
 Back to top »
Kilvec Ordo
Lieutenant

Post Posted: Tue, April 28th 2009 10:45am    Post subject:

This has extreme potential to be bad. Let's hope not.

Kilvec Ordo

Chief Commander of the Citadel Krytocracy

"You just broke physics."-Peyr Baelish

"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of Kilvec's nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Gustaf Koehler." -Alexus
 Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Tue, April 28th 2009 12:11pm    Post subject:

It won't go bad.

And if it does, I'll pay for all your funerals.

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
dudop
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Tue, April 28th 2009 12:59pm    Post subject:

*too sick to post*
*at all*
*no, really! why don't you believe me?*
 Back to top »
Han Solo
CMAC Artist

Post Posted: Tue, April 28th 2009 02:32pm    Post subject:

Haven't you ever heard the story of the boy who cried wolf?

---Leia and Han
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Off-Topic » Swine Flu...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: