}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Starship Troopers 3: Marauder
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Off-Topic » Starship Troopers 3: Marauder
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sat, August 16th 2008 05:49pm    Post subject: Starship Troopers 3: Marauder

So, who liked it? Honestly, I was expecting it to be crap and was rather critical of it during my first watching. But at the end, I really liked it. I watched it a couple more times... it actually improves the more you see it.

The message of the film was rather interesting, as was the much more intrigue-filled plot. And Jolene Blalock proves she can act in a role other than a Vulcan. Wooo! :p

I'm not saying it's the greatest sci-fi film of all time. Being made a low budget, there are some rather clear cracks. Still, the use of traditional rendering methods instead of making everything CGI lends a realistic look to most parts of the movie.

So... yeah. Who else liked the latest adventure of Johnny Rico? :p

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kalydon Skirata
Aedile

Post Posted: Sat, August 16th 2008 06:00pm    Post subject:

No. Just no. Let's leave it at that.

Field Marshall Kalydon Skirata
Commander of Stormtrooper Spec Ops and of Strike Force Omega

Forum Rules, Code of Conduct, and Technical FAQ

Xbox Live Gamercard
Expand

Adam Sessler calls out the Halo Haters
Expand
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sat, August 16th 2008 06:03pm    Post subject:

:shock:

Was it at least better than the second one, in your opinion? :p

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kalydon Skirata
Aedile

Post Posted: Sat, August 16th 2008 11:26pm    Post subject:

Haven't watched the second one all the way through, but for me part 3 was full of cheese...so full of cheese. And not in a good way.

Xbox Live Gamercard
Expand

Expand
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sat, August 16th 2008 11:27pm    Post subject:

But it's intentional. :p

The whole thing is tongue-in-cheek.

Expand

Back to top »
Kalydon Skirata
Aedile

Post Posted: Sat, August 16th 2008 11:54pm    Post subject:

It kinda left me really disappointed after when I first heard that it would have Marauder power suits, I hoped it would finally adopt the ever so awesome ideas from the TV series "Roughnecks - The Starship Troopers Chronicles"...and then it turned out to be nothing like that.

Alas, it failed in that respect, and Roughnecks remains to this day, my favorite.

Xbox Live Gamercard
Expand

Expand
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sat, August 16th 2008 11:58pm    Post subject:

Actually, I was rereading the novel a couple days before I saw the movie... I was thrilled when I saw the suits and their capabilities. They actually got something from the novel right. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Kalydon Skirata
Aedile

Post Posted: Sun, August 17th 2008 12:03am    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:
Actually, I was rereading the novel a couple days before I saw the movie... I was thrilled when I saw the suits and their capabilities. They actually got something from the novel right. :p

You should see the TV show, Marauders, infantry power suits, GOOD military tactics including use of air support, orbital bombings, NBC weapons, etc.

And another good thing about it? No cheesy over the top super macho heroes to spoil the plot.

Xbox Live Gamercard
Expand

Expand

Last edited by Kalydon Skirata on Sun, August 17th 2008 12:04am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sun, August 17th 2008 12:40am    Post subject:

Well, it's deliberately over the top. It's when it's trying to be serious and comes out over-the-top that things are wrong. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Sark
Private First Class

Post Posted: Sun, August 17th 2008 11:40pm    Post subject:

I liked it. : )
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, September 10th 2008 05:58pm    Post subject:

Besides (Yeah, late reply), who doesn't love a general-slash-pop star? :p

Expand

Back to top »
Raslan Karl Langsdorff
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, September 19th 2008 04:39pm    Post subject:

That Christian woman was so insanely annoying. And so was the cook, who did at least die.
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, September 19th 2008 04:49pm    Post subject:

Which is why it's called satire... she's supposed to be annoying. :p

But at least it's not like that one stupid horror movie, the Mist or whatever, where someone like that is portrayed as utterly insane and bloodthirsty.

Expand

Back to top »
Adria Reyna
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Sat, September 20th 2008 05:24pm    Post subject:

Its not that, its that the cast of the entire film can't act at all, and they're annoying in a sense that isn't satirical, they're annoying in a sense that watching the movie becomes tiresome - its better than the second one, but its shockingly awful still and not in the funny way that the first one is...it all seems so forced.

+ Mandalorians were somewhat win allready before Traviss came along, bound them in leather and rode them like ponies +
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sat, September 20th 2008 05:26pm    Post subject:

*flogs Adria*

Expand

Back to top »
Kalydon Skirata
Aedile

Post Posted: Sat, September 20th 2008 07:45pm    Post subject:

You know, call me crazy...but I don't consider the second one all that bad.

Not great at all, but I don't believe it to be the god awful mish mash of crap that many say it is.
I mean, they have their improved weapons (mentioned at the end of the first movie that somehow disappeared and de-volved for the third film) that seem to work so much better on the bugs, the bugs adapted their new secret weapon (mind control bugs) as they did in one of the variations of the novel I believe as well as the Roughnecks series, and it took a serious tone on things...which I do like.

Xbox Live Gamercard
Expand

Expand
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sat, September 20th 2008 08:15pm    Post subject:

Well, that's the big complaint: it's too serious. The first one was lighthearted, almost SW-ish. Then you have the second one with "More meat for the grinder."

Fortunately, they fix it with the pop star-slash-Sky Marshal Omar Anoke. :p

Expand

Back to top »
dudop
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, September 22nd 2008 06:09pm    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:
The first one was lighthearted, almost SW-ish.
To put it simply and politely: What? :?
Adria Reyna
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, September 22nd 2008 06:25pm    Post subject:

Unfortunatley I'm with Dudop on not seeing the lines between SW and SST...SST 1 was a pure comedy, no matter how hard anyone tries to say otherwise.

SST 2 was a continuation of a comedy that turned serious and thusly showed the incredible shitness of the actual film

SST 3 was an attempt to reinsert that comedy, but because they didn't have the insane budget from the first one, and the acting was...quite possibly the worst in all three films...it doesn't manage to pull it off with any charm. The Popstar-Skymarshal was amusing, but not enough to save the film...the one person I hated the most in that movie was Rico's XO, who either couldn't speak english, or just couldn't put any emotion into her lines at all. The rest of it played like a bad religious movie, expecially the 'I've got religion, I've got it hard' line that made me cringe...and the Marauders were AWFUL.

SST canon should be as Mongoose Publishing made it...a mix of the book, the original film, and the animated series. If you've ever read the background for the Minatures Game or the RPG you'll know what I meen.

+ Mandalorians were somewhat win allready before Traviss came along, bound them in leather and rode them like ponies +
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Off-Topic » Starship Troopers 3: Marauder
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: