}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
An Open Letter from the Community...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » An Open Letter from the Community...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carnor Jax
ECP Member/Faction Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri, July 18th 2008 11:06am    Post subject:

There are different weapons, better weapons in certain situations. The ISD is designed to be above mediocre in all fields... but there are vessels better at starfighter interception than the ISD (Lancer, for one). Using a benchmark and just putting more of everything is the epitome of idiocy, as the people that use the original benchmark know its weaknesses intimately, and can abuse those to great effect.

Uniqueness and radical design should be what fuel starship development, not looking at the past and simply making it bigger.

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Expand

"I gained [my votes] through "legal" means (read: bribes and threats)."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Master
Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, July 18th 2008 11:21am    Post subject:

However, a lot of people starting out in designing things do tend to just take inspiration from existing designs (I was certainly guilty of it) because it's easier to go with a sure thing than risk using a turbolaser about which you know nothing. I am doing my best to try and be adventurous though, now :P

--John Saxon--
Legitimate businessman, family man

(Also, wants to rule Universe with iron fist)

"*hugs Alexus* You are so my favorite player" - Nev.

Expand

Expand
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, July 18th 2008 12:46pm    Post subject:

But always XX9s. There are generic model heavies, you know... >_>

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dudop
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Sat, July 19th 2008 03:17pm    Post subject:

Derek Brand wrote:
and needs room for this super-shield generator you seem to think it has, it can carry twice the amount of stormtroopers than an AT-AT with room to spare?

I think you need to get a different calculator. Or better yet, stop trying to use game mechanics in Empire at War as substitutes for IC specifications.
I never said it had a super shield generator, I meant that it had shields slightly above average for its size... unless average actually sucks and I don't know as much... and I believe the name "AT-AT" is contradictory, it seems to be more focused on weaponry and armor than number of troops. The HTT is also somewhat wider. Of course, more... reasonable stats could be made.
Quote:
Only a full-sized starship could carry the power sources and shield generators to deflect that kind of firepower. No troop transport, especially not one that only operates in atmosphere (where shielding is weaker) can stop a glancing blow from an XX-9
Sorry, I meant XX-10. They're built to take a few shots to stop anything bigger than a T2-B. I did not know that shields were weaker in air, it never occurred to me that there might be a difference. Not even a glancing blow? I think there were a few glancing blows at Yavin...
Derek Brand
Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, July 20th 2008 07:13pm    Post subject:

WTH is an XX10?

Quote:
I think there were a few glancing blows at Yavin...

You're absolutely right...glancing blows which shattered an X-wing with each hit.

*Stabs Wedge repeatedly* :P Now everybody's happy. - Lazer

In Soviet Russia, Force uses you! :P - Kypjargon

Sarin, you ***** *** pansy, you screw with me, you screw with my GIANT LASER GUN. - Xaph, imitating Commander Shepard
 Back to top »
Xaph
Cadet

Post Posted: Sun, July 20th 2008 08:41pm    Post subject:

So what does this have to do with the game, or the point of this thread? I remember a few valid points I brought up which were ignored as soon as Ben started hurling insults at me.
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sun, July 20th 2008 08:58pm    Post subject:

Good point, Xaph. This isn't exactly the "brainstorm designs" thread. :p It's for voicing concerns... not adding to them. And Xaph, Ben... play nice or cookies and juice at snacktime.

Also, an XX-10 is the defensive ground-based turbolaser tower from EaW. Just uh, thought I should answer that before dragging us back on track. >_>

So... what else? We have "not enough plots", "too many plots", and "no room for the little guy."

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Han Solo
CMAC Artist

Post Posted: Sun, July 20th 2008 09:14pm    Post subject:

Xaph wrote:
So what does this have to do with the game, or the point of this thread?

THANK YOU!

This thread has been way off topic for pages now. Let's get back to what it was initially intended for and save the weapon and ship debate to another thread.

"You know, if you could apply that smuggler's brain to real politics, you'd be my equal."
"Meaning I wouldn't be able to just draw my blaster and shoot the politicians? What kind of a deal is that?"

---Leia and Han
 Back to top »
Kalydon Skirata
Aedile

Post Posted: Sun, July 20th 2008 09:51pm    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:

So... what else? We have "not enough plots", "too many plots", and "no room for the little guy."

I don't believe a Star Trek RPG helped the activity situation over here... :?

Field Marshall Kalydon Skirata
Commander of Stormtrooper Spec Ops and of Strike Force Omega

Forum Rules, Code of Conduct, and Technical FAQ

Xbox Live Gamercard
Expand

Adam Sessler calls out the Halo Haters
Expand
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Master
Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, July 21st 2008 04:06am    Post subject:

Is that where everyone's gone?

You know something is wrong when me and Rory are the most active RPers on the board :P

--John Saxon--

Expand

Expand
 Back to top »
Adria Reyna
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, July 21st 2008 07:34am    Post subject:

I hardly think the Trek RP is to blame...seeing as noone is active over there either...well not much.

I'm not active in general...just beeing lethargic and lying around...I was going to let the ball drag out a little longer...but seeing as everyone appears to be snoring in the dirt I might as well move it on to the first phase.

+ Mandalorians were somewhat win allready before Traviss came along, bound them in leather and rode them like ponies +
 Back to top »
The Master
Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, July 21st 2008 12:47pm    Post subject:

I've tried to start several conversations (I even hinted at one with you, which you ignored) but whatever.

--John Saxon--

Expand

Expand
 Back to top »
Adria Reyna
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, July 21st 2008 02:30pm    Post subject:

Yes...but you didn't start one...

+ Mandalorians were somewhat win allready before Traviss came along, bound them in leather and rode them like ponies +
 Back to top »
The Master
Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, July 21st 2008 02:36pm    Post subject:

Do I have to do everything suddenly?

You are so needy, Adria :P

--John Saxon--

Expand

Expand
 Back to top »
Adria Reyna
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, July 21st 2008 02:50pm    Post subject:

SILENCE CLASS-TRAITOR!

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Mon, July 21st 2008 05:01pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I hardly think the Trek RP is to blame...seeing as noone is active over there either...well not much.

The ST game isn't intended to distract from VIII. More just a side-attraction.

Quote:
I'm not active in general...just beeing lethargic and lying around...I was going to let the ball drag out a little longer...but seeing as everyone appears to be snoring in the dirt I might as well move it on to the first phase.

We can dance if we want to? :D

Can we leave our friends behind?

Expand

Back to top »
Carnor Jax
ECP Member/Faction Lieutenant

Post Posted: Tue, July 22nd 2008 09:02am    Post subject:

Because your friends don't dance, and if they won't dance well... you get the idea.

Actually, come to think of it, nobody is a friend of mine. I should kill you for suggesting that, Ams. I might yet.

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Expand

"I gained [my votes] through "legal" means (read: bribes and threats)."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dudop
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Tue, July 22nd 2008 05:31pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"no room for the little guy"
Hey, what if there were a planet that nobody owned, that were really super craggy so it could be used for the same rp ideas as a gas giant or rocky planet.[/quote]
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Tue, July 22nd 2008 07:38pm    Post subject:

...What?

Expand

Back to top »
dudop
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Wed, July 23rd 2008 03:25pm    Post subject:

Like, on Bespin everybody flies around because there's no ground. Instead of having no ground, this planet could have ground that's really far down:

__EL____ -> -> c-<
\
|
|
|
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
... Does that make sense? :oops:
Adria Reyna
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Wed, July 23rd 2008 06:31pm    Post subject:

Yes...its called a planet with a solid surface...you know...like...most of the other planets in the galaxy that aren't gas-giants?

Back to top »
Derek Brand
Sergeant

Post Posted: Wed, July 23rd 2008 10:18pm    Post subject:

Umm...Dudop, that has got to be the biggest tangent I have ever seen. And I just finished Geometry.

*Stabs Wedge repeatedly* :P Now everybody's happy. - Lazer

In Soviet Russia, Force uses you! :P - Kypjargon

Sarin, you ***** *** pansy, you screw with me, you screw with my GIANT LASER GUN. - Xaph, imitating Commander Shepard
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, July 23rd 2008 10:52pm    Post subject:

Eh, I was working on some while my net was down this morning. Did you know an ISD is indistinguishable from a star at a little less than 38,000 kilometers, and effectively invisible beyond 60,000 kilometers?

You use tangent functions to find that. :p

Anyway... I want to hear about what you think about the game. What do we need? What do we get rid of? What's going well? Tell us!

Expand

Back to top »
dudop
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Thu, July 24th 2008 10:03am    Post subject:

dudop wrote:
Like, on Bespin everybody flies around because there's no ground. Instead of having no ground, this planet could have ground that's really far down:

__EL____ -> -> c-<
\
|
|
|
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
... Does that make sense? :oops:
Oops, it totally exploded. Hit the quote button on that post and it will look right...
Ysanne Isard
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Thu, July 24th 2008 03:04pm    Post subject:

LOOOK! Something is happening in the ball thread...everyone who cares! LOOK THE OPPOSITE WAY!

Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » An Open Letter from the Community...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: