}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
An Open Letter from the Community...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » An Open Letter from the Community...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, June 13th 2008 02:18am    Post subject: An Open Letter from the Community...

...to the Admins. We've had two people depart from our ranks in the past few weeks. Frankly, that bothers me greatly. It bothers the rest of CMAC, as well.

One player mentioned that they felt there were some issues in VIII that took away some of the enjoyability, which was a contributing factor in his or her departure. So, I want to know... from all of you... what do you like here? What don't you like? Are the rules too strict? Are they too lax? What can we do to provide a better, more enjoyable role-playing environment?

We want to hear from you. We've always taken the advice and suggestions of our players under consideration in the past, contrary to popular belief. :p But now, we're more interested than ever. Tell us what you want from the game. Be open and honest, we will not condemn you for it nor will others be permitted to do so. Tell us, please.

I look forward to hearing from all of you, whether you're a seasoned player or a brand new neophyte to the whole thing. Just talk to us, and we'll respond. Help us make VIII a better place for everyone. And admins, don't be shy either. Let's show each other what we all want.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, June 13th 2008 09:57am    Post subject:

We need more plots. :P

I'm excited for the Galaxy Ball, but it seems like everyone's waiting on that to start the ball rolling. Guys, you can do your own thing to pass the time. You don't have to wait for the ECP plot to start before you can roleplay your own ideas (Unless your idea happens to be during a Rebel/Imperial war...in which case you do have to wait, so I can understand that). :) The only people I can think of who are doing something besides the ECP plot are Kal (Trying to find his girlfriend) and Alex (Doing something regarding Coronus, Sark, and a few other characters).

Another issue to me is that, for factions like the Empire or Rebellion, lower-ranking military characters are limited in what they can and can't do. For example (As far as I know) I can't take Kol's squadron off to fight some random pirate group in the Carida or Kuat system because one, I have no orders to do so, and two, if I lost any fighters, Kol would be punished IC for destruction of Imperial property.

Expand
 Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Fri, June 13th 2008 12:19pm    Post subject:

I don't think people have a shortage of a plot ideas. It's just notoriously hard to start a new plot. For instance, I have been planning to start a new plot with Han, Tensig and me... and it's been "planning" since the end of 2007 with about 5 posts made since then.

Last edited by Nevin Antilles on Fri, June 13th 2008 12:22pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Carnor Jax
ECP Member/Faction Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri, June 13th 2008 01:55pm    Post subject:

As far as the Stormtrooper Corps goes, all it takes is a quick IM requesting something to do. I can usually engineer something, at least for the Imperial camp, that will get a couple characters involved and keep them busy. Especially if it is within one of my direct commands.

Seriously, though, if you want something to do... talk to someone else. You can work out storylines amongst yourselves, talk to ECP about setting something up, or just go off and do your own thing. The worst that will happen is an in-character reprimand, and perhaps someone else coming in and saving the day. That's it. Take a little chance, and have fun.

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Expand

"I gained [my votes] through "legal" means (read: bribes and threats)."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dudop
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, June 13th 2008 03:10pm    Post subject:

If I condemn him, will Ams condemn me for it? xD. What's a neophite? Apparently it includes me...

I sorta wish I started with more money. I can't even afford a TIE/ln. I think some people may think the rules are too strict, or simply not understand them, or not even understand Star Wars in the first place. I wouldn't really want those people around. How bad is it if they leave, you're not selling anything. :wink:
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, June 13th 2008 03:18pm    Post subject:

You can't buy a TIE/ln, anyway. :p

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dudop
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, June 13th 2008 03:24pm    Post subject:

Oh, I knew that... :lol: I don't have the credits to actually move, is what I'm saying.
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, June 13th 2008 03:53pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Another issue to me is that, for factions like the Empire or Rebellion, lower-ranking military characters are limited in what they can and can't do. For example (As far as I know) I can't take Kol's squadron off to fight some random pirate group in the Carida or Kuat system because one, I have no orders to do so, and two, if I lost any fighters, Kol would be punished IC for destruction of Imperial property.

That's more to do with the battlesystem... I'll gladly do random encounters for people that want them. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Sat, June 14th 2008 12:11am    Post subject:

If an encounter's approved by a logical superior (navcom for instance), most of the major factions wouldn't care too much*, OOC, if you end up losing a small ship (like a Lib) in a plot-driven encounter. IC, it's a different story, but it could spice things up.

*At least, I know I wouldn't.
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sat, June 14th 2008 12:16am    Post subject:

I meant more a pirate thing than any faction.

Expand

Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Sat, June 14th 2008 12:21am    Post subject:

I know, but I was talking about like if someone in a naval position wanted to have a non-War plot with a battle against NPCs.
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sat, June 14th 2008 12:22am    Post subject:

I suppose something could be worked out between factions. Especially if a battle just ends in one side retreating instead of total annihilation of the other side. O_o

Anyway, what are some other issues you folks have? :p

Expand

Back to top »
The Master
Sergeant

Post Posted: Sat, June 14th 2008 04:39am    Post subject:

I actually can't think of a thing. Yet...

--John Saxon--
Legitimate businessman, family man

(Also, wants to rule Universe with iron fist)

"*hugs Alexus* You are so my favorite player" - Nev.

Expand

Expand
 Back to top »
Luke Skywalker
CMAC Associate

Post Posted: Sat, June 14th 2008 11:38pm    Post subject:

Nevin Antilles wrote:
I don't think people have a shortage of a plot ideas. It's just notoriously hard to start a new plot. For instance, I have been planning to start a new plot with Han, Tensig and me... and it's been "planning" since the end of 2007 with about 5 posts made since then.

I'd say that that entire thing has been our faults. Me and you are both the ones notoriously hard to post, and we both know it. :P It'd be nice if we could find a way to speed things up, but we never really do.

As for the rest of the RPG, I'm not really sure if it's being a problem to the gameplay or what, but in my own opinion, I think this entire game has turned into far too much of a tactical exercise. I think some people are getting way too caught up worrying about how many credits, or how many ships, or how many weapons, or what kinds of lasers, or how fast they are, etc, etc, etc. Then they have less time to focus on actual role-playing. I'm here to play my characters, not balance their credit accounts. Note that I haven't actually had any first-hand experience with these kinds of details short of just my characters' credits, but two out of three CMAC members agree that this game has too many technicalities, so I can't be all wrong. :P

But on the other side, there's my KotOR-based RPG. I tried to tune down the unnecessary details, but since the entire RPG more or less failed, I'm not sure what else to say. Maybe it's a required piece of the puzzle after all.

$0.02
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sat, June 14th 2008 11:40pm    Post subject:

Everything in moderation, really.

Honestly, and please don't take this wrong, but it seems most of it is everyone wants to have the best. The best troopers, the best guns, the best tanks, the best walkers, the best fighters, the best ships. If you can't singlehandedly annihilate a battalion of Stormtroopers, or one-shot an AT-AT, or blow away a squadron of ISDs with each ship... and yeah, I picked Imperial examples because that's the benchmark everyone uses. It's... kind of annoying, to be honest, when I'm asked to help people design things to defeat my own faction. :p

So, yeah... all this focus on assets and designs and one-upping is probably part of this... "tacticalization" of the game. Honestly, it needs to stop. CMAC is honestly sick of designs... one time, there were five submitted over the course of a couple hours: I went to bed with five left in the queue, and when I checked VIII in the morning, there were ten. I won't release names or what those designs were... but please stop sending them in. :p That's why most admins don't like to do designs anymore... they just don't stop. Admittedly, I have contributed more than my fair share. But I've scaled back lately, and now I'm trying to help fix the gaps in the manufacturers list (which comprises the totality of my submissions in the past four or five months) and other canon items.

So, please... buy existing. :p

And remember... we aren't a nationsim, we aren't a naval combat sim or ground combat sim. We're an RPG.

Anyway, please continue to come forth with your suggestions, ideas, concerns, and whatever else you'd like to say.

Oh, and if you find yet another canon design that I missed (that isn't made by KDY, Sienar, Damorian, or Loronar)... please feel free to bring it to my attention. I'm working on Telgorn right now.

Expand

Last edited by Ams Jendob on Sun, June 15th 2008 12:49am; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top »
The Master
Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, June 15th 2008 04:46am    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:
Honestly, and please don't take this wrong, but it seems most of it is everyone wants to have the best. The best troopers, the best guns, the best tanks, the best walkers, the best fighters, the best ships. If you can't singlehandedly annihilate a battalion of Stormtroopers, or one-shot an AT-AT, or blow away a squadron of ISDs with each ship... and yeah, I picked Imperial examples because that's the benchmark everyone uses. It's... kind of annoying, to be honest, when I'm asked to help people design things to defeat my own faction. :p

Sorry, I don't do it on purpose. I try and aim to have stuff that's slightly worse than yours, but since I have barely any benchmarks at all I just have to guess. Seriously, that is all that happens. I promise.

Ams Jendob wrote:
CMAC is honestly sick of designs... one time, there were five submitted over the course of a couple hours: I went to bed with five left in the queue, and when I checked VIII in the morning, there were ten. I won't release names or what those designs were...

Wasn't me, I promise that too :P

--John Saxon--

Expand

Expand

Last edited by The Master on Sun, June 15th 2008 04:48am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Kalydon Skirata
Aedile

Post Posted: Sun, June 15th 2008 09:38am    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:

For my own experience, I try to do higher end stuff because I hope for the best, yet plan for the worst. I always think of the worst case scenario when crafting a new weapon or power armor.

Field Marshall Kalydon Skirata
Commander of Stormtrooper Spec Ops and of Strike Force Omega

Forum Rules, Code of Conduct, and Technical FAQ

Xbox Live Gamercard
Expand

Adam Sessler calls out the Halo Haters
Expand
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Master
Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, June 15th 2008 09:58am    Post subject:

And we should remember that there are no purchaseable canon ships/vehicles even capable of looking askance at most Imperial hardware, so designing our own is all we can do...

--John Saxon--

Expand

Expand
 Back to top »
Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, June 15th 2008 10:28am    Post subject:

I think there should just be a limit to the number of new designs a faction can have.

Expand
 Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Sun, June 15th 2008 12:15pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I always think of the worst case scenario when crafting a new weapon or power armor.

When that happens, "the worst" actually becomes our denial of it. :p

And 307 has actually a pretty good idea. Maybe a sort of maximum quota per month?

Last edited by Nevin Antilles on Sun, June 15th 2008 12:16pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
The Master
Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, June 15th 2008 12:22pm    Post subject:

Three per month, and maybe 1 extra but with doubled research costs?

--John Saxon--

Expand

Expand
 Back to top »
Kalydon Skirata
Aedile

Post Posted: Sun, June 15th 2008 12:35pm    Post subject:

Nevin Antilles wrote:
Quote:
I always think of the worst case scenario when crafting a new weapon or power armor.

When that happens, "the worst" actually becomes our denial of it. :p

I was talking worst case in the game. :P

A good example would be the discussion me and Moff had weeks ago about troop transports and dropships. I suggested that the Empire replace the aging Sentinel...or at least add something to compliment it that's more suited for rapid deployment of infantry.

The Sentinel, as tough as it is, isn't the thing you want to be flying around in the middle of a hellstorm of blaster fire and rocket rounds or heaven forbid sniper fire, especially considering that the troops in it are sitting, it has to land to drop the ramp, and troops file out in a narrow line.

I suggested we bring back the LAAT or a modern equivalent. The side doors allow all or nearly all of the troops to disembark in a second or two, and the ship doesn't even need to land. It could slow down, hover 5 or ten feet off the ground, troopers hop out, and voila the ship is back in the sky to provide air support.

The situation I imagined for this discussion was a single squad of troops and their dropship, dropping into Vietnam styled conditions. Worst case, as I said.

For my own troops however...I need the best. Since I joined the game back in VII I factored in training time, cost, etc for the troops I call the Imperial Marines. I have only 2,000, and for Kal's backstory they've been in training for at least 10 years as a special forces and black ops group.

Imagine lose a soldier...I can't replace that soldier. Sure I could pull a trooper from the Navy or Stormtrooper Corps with the approval of the respected COs of each branch, but that replacement wouldn't have the same knowledge or training as one of my Marines.

So naturally, for them I try to get them the best gear I can. I know I can't make them invincible, nor would I want to for balance and fairness. But I only have those 2,000, no more, no less, and I can never get any more so I do all I can to try and make them last as long as they humanly can.

Field Marshall Kalydon Skirata
Commander of Stormtrooper Spec Ops and of Strike Force Omega

Forum Rules, Code of Conduct, and Technical FAQ

Xbox Live Gamercard
Expand

Adam Sessler calls out the Halo Haters
Expand
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Sun, June 15th 2008 01:51pm    Post subject:

Maybe the best answer would be for CMAC and/or some other committee to get together and make a list of canon/original designs that meet some of the needs of the game, then distribute them through companies players can buy them from. I'd be willing to put up with Moff's designs long enough to do that. Also, (or perhaps alternatively), we could make some designs up, and then factions could pay to buy the plans and then they could produce them themselves. I'm not talking about, like, superships or anything, but, like, common blasters or speeders.

Then, we could give each faction a quota on designs per month. I also like Alexus' idea of ramping up the research costs for designs exceeding that quota, but those would have to be limited too, since the Empire and the Alliance can afford to pay.

Last edited by Nevin Antilles on Sun, June 15th 2008 01:52pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sun, June 15th 2008 02:01pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sorry, I don't do it on purpose. I try and aim to have stuff that's slightly worse than yours, but since I have barely any benchmarks at all I just have to guess. Seriously, that is all that happens. I promise.

Well, I wasn't aiming that totally at you. And no, you weren't part of that design explosion, either.

Quote:
And we should remember that there are no purchaseable canon ships/vehicles even capable of looking askance at most Imperial hardware, so designing our own is all we can do...

No offense... but maybe there shouldn't be. Instead of matching ISDs one-to-one, why not two-to-one. Works for the Rebels in canon. :p

Why not use special tactics, like TRS or other fighter attacks (fighters aren't woefully useless in groups, they have some effect. You just can't do the Wedge Antilles approach and carve up a Superiority fleet with one X-Wing :p). Why does there have to be exact parity between a smaller faction and what's more or less the leading superpower of the game? Are Cuban aircraft built in the 1960s as good as American jets from the same period? As widely produced?

I realize that sounds kind of Empire-centric, but you know... we do have the resources to make sure our evil death ships are the baddest evil death ships around. :p

Quote:
Maybe the best answer would be for CMAC and/or some other committee to get together and make a list of canon/original designs that meet some of the needs of the game, then distribute them through companies players can buy them from. I'd be willing to put up with Moff's designs long enough to do that. Also, (or perhaps alternatively), we could make some designs up, and then factions could pay to buy the plans and then they could produce them themselves. I'm not talking about, like, superships or anything, but, like, common blasters or speeders.

Absolutely.

Quote:
Then, we could give each faction a quota on designs per month. I also like Alexus' idea of ramping up the research costs for designs exceeding that quota, but those would have to be limited too, since the Empire and the Alliance can afford to pay.

Good point.

Expand

Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Sun, June 15th 2008 02:58pm    Post subject:

Also, when the new site comes out (I swear to God, it's like a day's worth of work from being completed, I'm just extremely busy), quotas for designs will be something we can probably implement. How do we think we should handle players' designs when they're not a part of a faction? A smaller quota?
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » An Open Letter from the Community...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: