}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Imperial Productions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » Imperial Productions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, May 30th 2008 08:12pm    Post subject:

I think we're bigger than three million squads, too. :p

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
The Master
Sergeant

Post Posted: Sat, May 31st 2008 05:07am    Post subject:

The 1.2 million units Lama Su mentioned could be divisions for all we know, but until Karen Traviss is dead, the Republic defended its borders with fewer men than the French Army in 1940.

--John Saxon--
Legitimate businessman, family man

(Also, wants to rule Universe with iron fist)

"*hugs Alexus* You are so my favorite player" - Nev.

Expand

Expand
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sat, May 31st 2008 01:20pm    Post subject:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. It could even be armies for all we know. More PT-giantism, right next to quadrillions of droids and guns that can depopulate a planet in one hit.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Xaph
Cadet

Post Posted: Sun, June 01st 2008 10:03am    Post subject:

Well, this is a galactic scale of a mythos...there's gonna be tons of scale problems :p
dudop
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, June 02nd 2008 12:44pm    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah. It could even be armies for all we know. More PT-giantism, right next to quadrillions of droids and guns that can depopulate a planet in one hit.
Or pop it...
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Mon, June 02nd 2008 01:51pm    Post subject:

No, blowing up a planet is fine. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Kalydon Skirata
Aedile

Post Posted: Mon, June 02nd 2008 01:54pm    Post subject:

I never understood the obsession in Star Wars with blowing planets up...

Field Marshall Kalydon Skirata
Commander of Stormtrooper Spec Ops and of Strike Force Omega

Forum Rules, Code of Conduct, and Technical FAQ

Xbox Live Gamercard
Expand

Adam Sessler calls out the Halo Haters
Expand
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Mon, June 02nd 2008 02:09pm    Post subject:

It's good, family fun. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Kalydon Skirata
Aedile

Post Posted: Mon, June 02nd 2008 02:17pm    Post subject:

It makes little realistic sense though.

Take for example, Alderaan. Why blow it up when they could glass the surface of the planet and leave a burning, painful reminder that will last for decades if not centuries, of the price of sedition and rebellion?
Instead they blew it up and the incident will probably be swiftly forgotten...hell they make no mention of it in either Ep 5 and 6.

Another tactic, and one that makes more sense is to conquer the world and use it for resources, a supply and refueling station for warships, etc etc.

Xbox Live Gamercard
Expand

Expand

Last edited by Kalydon Skirata on Mon, June 02nd 2008 02:21pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Mon, June 02nd 2008 02:32pm    Post subject:

Demonstration of firepower. A world that has been bombarded, or even Base Delta Zeroed can be rebuilt. But to obliterate a planet to dust and rocks sends a clear message about the power of the Empire and leaves no hope of survivors or rebuilding.

Expand

Back to top »
Kalydon Skirata
Aedile

Post Posted: Mon, June 02nd 2008 02:39pm    Post subject:

And...we all saw how amazingly successful the "clear message" was right? :P

Xbox Live Gamercard
Expand

Expand

Last edited by Kalydon Skirata on Mon, June 02nd 2008 02:40pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Mon, June 02nd 2008 03:03pm    Post subject:

Actually, it worked for the most part. :p

Hell, the Rebels actually took the blame for the planet's destruction and most people bought it. It wasn't until Yavin that the Outer Rim and parts of the Mid Rim started to pull away.

Expand

Back to top »
dudop
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, June 02nd 2008 04:48pm    Post subject:

Kalydon Skirata wrote:
It makes little realistic sense though.

Take for example, Alderaan. Why blow it up when they could glass the surface of the planet and leave a burning, painful reminder that will last for decades if not centuries, of the price of sedition and rebellion?
Instead they blew it up and the incident will probably be swiftly forgotten...hell they make no mention of it in either Ep 5 and 6.

Another tactic, and one that makes more sense is to conquer the world and use it for resources, a supply and refueling station for warships, etc etc.
Or better yet, they could have glassed it over (which, Ams, would take even more firepower and not leave survivors) and then mine the glass for resources and supply and refuel warships there. :wink:

I think they blew it up to avoid rebel interference. It was incredibly quick and when they blamed the rebels it made them look like idiots who couldn't think of anything better to do. That sent another message to the rebels themselves. And it did make sense. The laser would pass into the planet's core, superheating the packed-down magma, causing it to expand and fly everywhere. I think people like "planet-booming" so much because it's such a quick, obvious way to kill billions, an act of terrorism. That and pyromania. :wink:
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Mon, June 02nd 2008 04:59pm    Post subject:

Anyone who says they don't love a good explosion is a liar. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Derek Brand
Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, June 02nd 2008 06:49pm    Post subject:

Quote:
which, Ams, would take even more firepower and not leave survivors

I believe you have that backwards. :P A single Star Destroyer could glass a planet in a day or so.

*Stabs Wedge repeatedly* :P Now everybody's happy. - Lazer

In Soviet Russia, Force uses you! :P - Kypjargon

Sarin, you ***** *** pansy, you screw with me, you screw with my GIANT LASER GUN. - Xaph, imitating Commander Shepard
 Back to top »
Shayera Jendob
Huggably, Lovably Able to Kill You

Post Posted: Mon, June 02nd 2008 08:05pm    Post subject:

A couple of hours.

Colonel Shayera Jendob - Chief of Security for Supreme Moff Jendob
Expand
 Back to top »
Don Corleone
Corporal

Post Posted: Tue, June 03rd 2008 02:32am    Post subject:

Quicker if it's a sandy planet *badum-ch*

Post Posted: Tue, June 03rd 2008 02:46am    Post subject:

Rather, glassing a planet would probably take longer. A Base Delta Zero takes a couple of hours from an ISD because you're firing full power shots intended for maximum damage... as opposed to a literal glassing which requires more care and attenuation of the bolts so they disperse their energies properly.

Expand
 Back to top »
The Master
Sergeant

Post Posted: Tue, June 03rd 2008 11:38am    Post subject:

So you're fine with the massive firepower scales from SD.net but not the part that suggests that armies/fleets in the SW universe are really big, eh Ams? :P

EDIT: Not trying to be rude, just having a giggle :P

--John Saxon--
Legitimate businessman, family man

(Also, wants to rule Universe with iron fist)

"*hugs Alexus* You are so my favorite player" - Nev.

Expand

Expand

Last edited by The Master on Tue, June 03rd 2008 11:46am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
dudop
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Tue, June 03rd 2008 12:52pm    Post subject:

Shayera Jendob wrote:
Rather, glassing a planet would probably take longer. A Base Delta Zero takes a couple of hours from an ISD because you're firing full power shots intended for maximum damage... as opposed to a literal glassing which requires more care and attenuation of the bolts so they disperse their energies properly.
That's what I was trying to say. That would be quite a task, and would require a massive fleet to avoid escapes.

Hey, I thought Shy was a character owned by Ams. He's always threatening people with her. But if you're Ams you would be using the other username... :?
Shayera Jendob

Post Posted: Tue, June 03rd 2008 02:46pm    Post subject:

500 megatons for an SD's turbolaser bolt doesn't bug me. 5 teratons or whatever does. :p Also, the disparities bug me. Fighter guns rate 2 kT TNTe (8.4 TJ), but fighter shields rate 50 Petawatts? Does that not strike anyone else as a WTF moment?

And really big militaries are fine, too. After all, the Stormtrooper Corps had two billion men and women* serving at its height. The Imperial Army was probably even larger, the Imperial Navy had millions of starships with 25,000 ISDs.

I just don't like the "ZOMG 5 TRILLION CLONEZ" or "A GOOGOL DROIDS LOLZ". People are forgetting that all kinds of literature state they're often supporting local anti-Seperatist movements and they don't often do Napoleonic assaults on the droid forces, matching man for... droid. It's more go in, blow something up or capture a city, not exterminate every mechanical object on the surface. :p

Now, 3.2 million is a tad low, and that was most likely the initial production batch. But this crap about having to have armies of clones on every planet in the Galaxy is PT fanboy BS.

*Lucas said that there were female Stormtroopers units shortly after the release of ANH. It's just that very few were assigned to the Death Star; in some cases, entire legions may have been all or mostly female.

Of course, this has since been retconned to death... or has it?

Expand

Last edited by Shayera Jendob on Tue, June 03rd 2008 03:03pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Jacen Tranada
Corporal

Post Posted: Wed, June 04th 2008 09:09am    Post subject:

Quote:
500 megatons for an SD's turbolaser bolt doesn't bug me. 5 teratons or whatever does. Also, the disparities bug me. Fighter guns rate 2 kT TNTe (8.4 TJ), but fighter shields rate 50 Petawatts? Does that not strike anyone else as a WTF moment?

Is the answer yes?

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, June 04th 2008 11:54am    Post subject:

Well... how can you shoot down the shields? :p

Expand

Back to top »
Tiara Tranada
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Wed, June 04th 2008 09:40pm    Post subject:

Point and shoot and when they flare out it means they're down :P

Colonel Tiara Tranada
Agent Stentax 666

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, June 04th 2008 11:18pm    Post subject:

That's like trying to destroy a reinforced concrete pillar with BBs. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » Imperial Productions
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: