}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Chief of State's Office (surface)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Denon » Chief of State's Office (surface)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Fri, January 18th 2008 03:54am    Post subject: Chief of State's Office (surface)

The rigid stonework lined the spacious, open office. There was a wide wooden workspace, free of any other adornment, centered between two wall-spanning windows. The westering light of Denon's sun cast a shadow parallel to the desk that was almost as dark as the grain. The glow cast by the viewscreen was the only other source of illumination. All-in-all, Nevin was seated in a rather bare room, and the longer he remained, seated in an unwelcoming chair, he felt further and further lost inside of it.

He ran a hand through his walnut-colored hair and then propped up his occasionally-nodding head on his free hand; with his eyes he lazily scanned the screen. Numerous messages scrolled past; reports of fleet movements, near-misses with Imperial forces just a little too far away from their orders populated the electronic monitor.

Nevin had trudged through the day only to hasten the end. And now, he felt it closer. As his wrist chronometer beeped to remind him of the time, he pulled up one more feed of interest from the computer system: his calendar. It was mostly, completely empty; Nevin had been gone for months and he was never particularly one to write down dates.

However, there was one thing that he could not forget. His appointment with Leia was in thirty minutes. He stood from the chair, the action taking more resolve than strength, and he deactivated the screen. Grand Admiral Nevin Antilles walked out of the office his last.

The sun had already set behind the skyscrapers of the city-planet. It was not totally dark yet, yet no vestige of the burning star could be seen. Cities such as Denon and Coruscant, Nevin noted, had always had that odd, artificial sunset.

He was sitting in another chair, this time much more comfortable than that of his own office. Organa Solo's office was lavishly furnished with plants and flowers: living things. There were a few pieces of unusual art, such as a peculiar painting on the far wall and the dim golden spheres under the electric lamps. The centerpiece of the room was the immense polished metal conference table. Off to the side, sofas and other chairs were arranged in a more intimate setting, but datapads were always built into the armrests, reminders of the business setting Usually there were guards on the inside of the doors, but Leia had obviously expressly ordered solitude for the impending meeting.

A few moments later, Organa Solo entered. Antilles stopped his fingers from their involuntary drumming on one of the golden artworks. “Be careful with those,” Leia said with a chiding tone, but her face could not conceal the smile. Any formality between them had more or less disintegrated years ago.

Nevin also smiled the best he could. “Sorry,” he apologized curtly. “I know how much you value weird things.”

“Well,” Leia laughed as she moved behind a metal counter, which was situated within reach of her meeting table. “I do keep you around, hm?” She looked over the man for a moment before the smile faded into its normal neutral-polite form. “Can I get you anything to drink?”

Nevin shook his head. “No, I'm good,” he assured her. Normally, Nevin would have taken advantage of the opportunity; but his sole desire was to get out of the building as fast as he could. “I just wanted to talk, really... about... well, the Alliance.”

Leia poured a dark, aromatic liquid into a small transparent glass. She also poured a second one anyway. Her chestnut eyes were focused intently on the young man. “Could we start with where you were?” She inquired, though Nevin could tell from the look on her face that her question had come across more blunt than intended.

Nevin averted his gaze and observed once again the infectiously interesting sunset. “I don't really want to talk about it.”

Leia took her cup and passed out of the kitchenette towards where Nevin sat. “Well, I want you to talk about it.”

Antilles felt his defenses go up, and his gaze once again pierced the woman. He was waiting for an explanation.

“I'm sorry, Nevin,” she sighed as she sat down in one of the deep chairs across from him. She placed one container on the table and pushed it over towards him. “But everyone has been saying how... quiet you have been about all this. I mean, officers, media... and you were gone for a long time.”

Nevin simply muttered and looked to the window. “So, the Alliance is a bunch of gossipers now too?”

Leia sipped her beverage, but her eyes observed him from over the rim of the cup. After she swallowed, she cradled the drink in her hand. “That's sort of avoiding the point, isn't it?”

Once again, Antilles shrugged his shoulders. “I'm really not trying to be a mystery man here. I just don't want to talk about it.”

Sighing, Leia leaned back into her chair. “You know I'm a friend, Nevin. We've seen some pretty strange things. If you haven't found out, Luke's back, and Han was nearly set out of the Alliance with his tail on fire. Something dark is moving here, and it's not just limited to my family.”

Nevin's attentive, icy eyes returned to her. “Like what?”

She placed the cup down on a side table, and leaned forward. “I'm not sure...” she trailed off, looking straight to him. “But, I think you might know. I've felt it since I came in the room; since you called me.”

“But I don't know anything,” Antilles began.

“I've felt it in your speaking right now,” Leia continued. “Why haven't you tried to contact me earlier?”

“I've seen generators go around in circles less than this,” the young man grumbled under his breath.

“I'm just looking for answers. I just want you to tell me what happened, that's all,” she explained to him, her voice smooth.

“You won't get any from me,” Nevin persisted.

“What if it was an order?” Leia asked promptly. She needed to know what was wrong, and if one method wouldn't work, she was prepared to try another.

“What if I wasn't an officer anymore?” Nevin retorted.

Leia started. “You don't mean that.”

Nevin bit off the rapid response that begged to be heard. Instead, he stood up and walked away from the sofa. Leia also rose and shadowed him. “I don't know! I just – it hasn't felt right since I came back here!”

“From where?” Leia pleaded, trying to bring peace back into the conversation.

He gave no answer. He didn't want to tell her; it would just lead backwards, unwinding towards the innermost memories that he hadn't told to anyone. They were verily memories that he wished he hadn't experienced. Half of them he hadn't even sorted out in his own mind. How could it be beneficial to reveal the ravings of, perhaps, a lunatic to the Chief of State?

Then Leia sighed. “Fine. If that's what you want... then I guess I don't have any authority to make you tell me. But I'm just asking to understand! How important this is; I can't tell you how important it is!”

“For you!?” He growled. “You know, the Empire was pretty selfish too. One way towards the public, different towards the officers...”

“How dare you?” Leia said, her brown eyebrows raised in surprise. “You know as well as I do that isn't true.”

“I don't know much of anything,” he sighed as he made his way to the door. He took off his rank insignia and tossed it casually on the ground as he pressed the button; Leia realized that he had just been wearing casual clothing all along. “Thanks for the tea,” he breathed as he left the room.
Private First Class

Post Posted: Fri, January 18th 2008 04:00am    Post subject:

Leia watched in enthrallment as Antilles stormed forth from the office. She came to the door and closed it, knowing the man was already far away. She looked at the rank insignia, and, surprisingly, she felt tears begin to well up.

But they were not tears of loss. Though Antilles had provided immeasurable benefit to the Alliance, and unfathomable doom to others, that was not why she wept.

She knew how he felt. She knew not what he felt. But not all actions of a man were truly from his own willing. In that instant, she forgave anything he had said; but before that, she was already to her desk, pulling up the comm.

Code:
Luke Skywalker

Last edited by Nevin Antilles on Mon, July 07th 2008 01:03pm; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top »
Luke Skywalker
CMAC Associate

Post Posted: Sat, January 19th 2008 12:08am    Post subject:

Information had been buzzing in his head for days now. Every moment, Luke would be thinking of something else, be it a recent event he read about or just trying to figure out what had happened to him. Although it felt as if the incident had happened so long ago, he couldn't forget it. Especially not with such a looming shadow over the Galaxy...

And that shadow was exactly the reason why he was on his way to see Leia. She mentioned she had some new information that might help. Luke was happy to see any progress at all, since after spending so much time in meditation, he had nothing to show. Nothing other than a sneaking suspicion.

A loud hiss brought him back to reality. He was standing before the doorway to Leia's expansive office. Slowly, he wandered inside, still going over his thoughts in the back of his mind. Shortly after entering, he noticed his sister sitting on a nearby sofa, not even looking at him. In that instance, he knew she was troubled.

"What's wrong?" he asked, taking a seat beside her and leaning in slightly. She slowly tuned her head and their eyes met. He didn't need the Force to tell him that there was something wrong. It was obviously hiding behind her eyes.

"I - I don't even know," she stumbled through her words. He prodded again, this time trying to aim for the source of her confusion.

"It's... It's something with Nevin Antilles."

The name sounded familiar to Luke. He remembered reading a report about a missing Navy Commandant going under the name Antilles. Just recently, he had reappeared, but no further information was given. It was certainly odd.

"What is it?" he asked, continuing his pursuit of answers.

"He's... Something's wrong with him," she began, now staring into the floor as she spoke. "Something happened, and he won't tell me, but I can feel it, Luke. Just like I felt it in you."

As she spoke of him, she returned her gaze to his face. However, his eyes had found their way to the floor as well. He remembered all to well the struggle he had gone through, and he certainly didn't want to bring it up again. He needed more time to understand it...

"Is that what you think is causing such a disturbance in the Force?" he questioned.

"You've felt it getting stronger too?"

With a nod, he confirmed her question. "So all this is coming from a single person under the same kind of influence as I was? It went unnoticed in me for as long as it did, yet this is almost evident enough to see with our own eyes. It doesn't make sense."

"Because it's worse. It's not in him, but he knows something about it... whatever it is. I don't know, but it's horrible and it's getting worse. And something about it is driving him mad. He resigned," she said, trembling a little as she spoke of it. Luke reached around and placed an arm on her back, trying to comfort her as best as he could.

"I was hoping maybe you could talk to him. He wouldn't talk to me about it, and part of it might be cause he doesn't want anything to do with the Force," Leia continued after a long moment of silence. "But he knows something we have to know."

As he removed his arm from her, he placed it back over his knee, leaning away from the seat at the same time. "That might be a good idea. Hopefully he'll be a little more inclined to talk to me," he said while his mind spun with information once again.

"He didn't have the highest opinion of you before," Leia noted with a smirk, "but that wasn't really you."

"Let me know where I can find him. I'll see what I can do."

After she had given him the proper information on a datapad, he tucked it away somewhere safe, then decided to try and reassure her a little, "Everything will be alright. I'm sure of it."

"I don't know what else could go wrong," she replied through a weak smile. Her eyes eventually wandered from his until they were staring into nothing.

"We've been through worse, haven't we?"

She nodded with her response, "Got that right."

"I'll be right back here the moment I figure anything out. We'll get this under control, yet," he stated as he stood from the sofa. Luke knew that she was going through a hard time, and didn't want to worry her any more with this mystery. He'd worry about it on his own.

"I trust you," she said. "Though I don't think we have much time."

He assured her with another smile before he turned to leave. However, he stopped just a few steps from the doorway with another thought on his mind. A thought that had been plaguing him for days.

"The Galaxy feels different than it used to... But it's not unfamiliar," he explained. "Do you ever remember feeling this way before?"

Before she could even open her mouth to respond, he knew what the answer was, but part of him hoped he would be wrong. "Luke, I haven't felt this way since the first war."

Just as he expected.

"Me neither," he said as his eyes fell from her face. He spent a short second staring into space before he repeated himself, then turned toward the door again.

"Be careful, Luke," came Leia's concerned voice once again. "I don't want to... not again." Although she had trailed off in mid-sentence, he knew what she was worried about. But he had already promised her that she would never lose him again. And he intended to honor his word.

"I'll be fine," he stated with a smile. They shared one last moment staring at each other, then he finally left the room. The datapad she had given him instinctively returned to his hands as he studied the data.

This Antilles had the answers he needed, and he intended to get them at any cost. They didn't have any time to spare.
Private First Class

Post Posted: Sat, July 05th 2008 10:19pm    Post subject:

Another block of viridian text meandered towards the top of the datapad, casually continuing the chain of other such paragraphs. The lines of the report seemed never to end. Commander-in-Chief Ackbar's weekly digest report was certainly thorough and interesting – to a computer, perhaps – but she always found it difficult to process in her own, mortal mind. It seemed all to flow together; a dangerous vorodoon avian had been successfully restored to the Denon East Zoo...more progress was being made in Security's efforts to increase Denon's safety... some asteroids were found to contain valuable porphura ore...

A change in the air pressure in Leia's ears broke the monotony. Removing her tired hand from its position as a pillar for her bored face, she turned her eyes away from the contrasted screen. After her eyes again adjusted to seeing the full gamut of color, Leia saw something unexpected, for the first time that day. She wasn't sure whether to be happy or unnerved.

“Don't you ever spend any time at home?” Luke's familiar voice came, the accompanying body locating itself at the front of the desk.

Leia felt her lips move up in a smile as she switched off the datapad with a bit of glee. All of the involved muscles protested; they had been stuck in the position of a lazy frown for probably the past four hours. “It's not easy when your home's blown up,” she said bluntly, thoughts flicking back to the attack on her household. It seemed like it was months ago, but she knew it was much more recent – she just didn't want to think it remained so close.

“I guess that would be a problem,” Luke conceded, his own smile bearing to match his sister's. After a moment, however, his face drooped, losing some of its youthful exuberance that so often graced it. Something more grave and pressing was on his mind. “I spoke with Han.”

Her now-focused eyes fended off the purple spots. She now fully appreciated the undertone of Luke's greeting. “Did you?” She asked. In reality, she was just stalling. She hadn't expected Luke to cut to the point so quick. Being blunt wasn't usually his way... but, perhaps he had changed in the time he'd spent away. She couldn't blame him, really.

“He's worried, you know... about you,” Luke developed. From his tone of voice, it was quite obvious he shared Han's worry.

And, once again, she couldn't blame him. Certainly much had happened recently. Leia's daughter, Leia's house, Leia's husband, Leia's brother, Leia's husband, and Leia's newborn son, had been taken from her. It was nothing but the will of the Force that all had been returned to her... all except one. Leia knew both Han and Luke should be in her arms. She should be taking him around to his uncle and his daddy, introducing him to his brother and sister. But, that was never going to happen.

Sometimes Leia was thankful for filler like Ackbar's reports. They kept her mind off of such things.

Naturally, her brother and her husband had to be curious. She was no longer pregnant – that much was obvious. But, both of them had carefully skirted around the issue. Both of them feared the worst. She could literally feel it rippling around them when they talked to her, forming almost-hidden eddies of doubt and anxiousness. The truth that only Leia knew could be more frightening for them both; the newborn was now in the arms of another mother for its own safety.

But Leia wasn't ready to reveal that yet. She wasn't ready for herself to come to terms with that horrible thing. She would feel the blame for all her life, yet she would also feel secure that her child was safe now. Still, it wasn't time for her to think about all those implications. She had to force herself to worry about what was immediately apparent.

“When isn't he?” Leia asked, her voice light in an attempt to shade the darkness in her thoughts. “And you, for that matter.”

Luke gave a few short laughs. “Good point. But this time, I think he has a pretty good reason,” he paused. “After all, you have been avoiding him lately.” Again, she couldn't blame her loved ones for being concerned, could she?

“Well, do you blame me?” Leia asked, flipping her own mental question around. “I mean; all that's happened, you of all people... “ she allowed her sentence to trail off. If there was another person in the galaxy who knew and understood what Leia had experienced, it was her brother Luke.

At least... he understood most of it. Of course, she couldn't blame him for trying.

Last edited by Nevin Antilles on Sat, July 05th 2008 10:42pm; edited 5 times in total
 Back to top »
Luke Skywalker
CMAC Associate

Post Posted: Sun, July 06th 2008 11:18pm    Post subject:

"I know, but all he really wants to do is help. We all do. You've had a hard time." She was avoiding his point, the same way she usually did when she was afraid to confront it. Although Leia was by far one of the strongest women Luke knew, it took nothing more than her husband to keep her from being herself. Funny how the Galaxy worked.

"I know. I know it," she admitted, looking away from his eyes and back toward her desk. She needed to listen to him, so he continued to prod.

"Maybe it's time you just sat down and talked with Han. It would certainly make him feel a lot better." Luke paused for a moment before adding, "And would probably help you too."

"That sounds good, on paper, Luke," she defended. Her eyes wandered around the datapad before her while her hand glided along with them. Eventually, the hand stopped and began picking at the silver finish over the casing. Although her eyes never turned back to meet his again, she continued, "He hasn't exactly been the most approachable either, even before he left."

Luke's lips curled up as a grin forced its way to his face. "Yeah, but he's always been that way. It's not really saying much."

"Not to me, he's not."

She had a point, but either way, she was still avoiding what he was just trying to tell her. She was obviously determined, but so was Luke. He was worried about her, and wasn't going to let her stubborn nature get in the way of trying to help. After all, it never stopped him before. She would understand in the end.

"He wants to talk to you Leia. I'm sure you're afraid to confront him, but it's what he needs. It's what you need," he reiterated, trying to be a little more assertive with her.

"Are you taking applied psychology at the Institute or something?" Leia asked from behind a cocked eyebrow and a slight smirk, each word dripping with sarcasm.

Luke couldn't help but chuckle a bit, but it didn't last. His tone quickly returned to being as serious as usual, although he tried to remain compassionate. "Like I said, I'm just trying to help you and Han. You're both my family."

Her smirk remained for a short while, but it eventually faded, as expected. It was obvious that she was running things through her head, and it wouldn't be long before--

"So.. when exactly did he ask you to talk to me?"

"Yesterday."

"One downside of being family is you can't really hide secrets for too long," she noted with a returning grin.

This time, it was Luke's eyes that shifted toward the floor as he ran through his memories again. "Isn't that the truth..." Especially in his own family. He knew that from experience.

Before he found himself reliving the painful reminders of his father, Luke snapped himself out of his own daze as quickly as he could. His head turned back to look at Leia again, a new idea suddenly popping into his mind. Perhaps he was taking the wrong approach toward her. "Either way, just try to work things out, for Han's sake if not your own."

Unfortunately, he knew about the other pressing matter to break to her, and knew that he couldn't put it off much longer. "Try to work things out, since... Well, I'd hate to do this to you, but I'm going to be leaving again soon. This Nevin Antilles... I need to spend some time with him to find out anything."

Her reaction to the name was obvious. At the moment he had said it, her eyes narrowed and she apparently wanted to insert her opinion on the matter. However, she couldn't even finish repeating his name before Luke's comlink was beeping for his attention.

Luke swiveled his head down as his hand pulled it from his cloak. In a single motion, his finger flicked the button to activate it and swung it up before his mouth.

"Yes?" he asked expectantly.
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Mon, July 07th 2008 01:13pm    Post subject:

Nevin Antilles pushed through the late afternoon rush of people on Denon's streets. It was more crowded than average around the spaceport, making it even more difficult to speak above the thousands of voices and sounds of a workday coming to a close. “Hey, Skywalker,” he finally managed to speak intelligibly into the comm. “This is Nevin.”

There was a moment of silence, before the voice on the other end continued, albeit with a more quiet and secretive tone than his greeting had indicated. “Nevin,” Skywalker echoed. “Good to hear from you. Have you come to a decision?”

“Yeah,” Nevin stated. He was still uncertain about the whole matter of embarking on this quest for answers, and that came through in his voice. He mentally shrugged. Skywalker had to know that already anyway. “I got us a ship. I'm heading back from Central Spaceport now.”

“That's great,” the Jedi told him. “I'm assuming it's... low-profile?”

Nevin smirked. “Well... it's certainly unassuming.”

And probably non-operational...

“I'm sure it'll work fine,” Skywalker assured. “How long will you need to prepare?”

“Well,” The smirk continued to grow. How do you “prepare” something that is already spoiled? “I think they're as ready as they'll ever be; so, whenever. Bay sixty-four.”

“Alright,” Luke acknowledged. “Gather whatever you need and we'll meet at the hangar tomorrow morning. If you have any other concerns, just ask.”

Where would Nevin start to list his concerns? “Right,” he said instead.

“Again, I'm glad you made this decision,” the other voice came over the line, tone proud.

It was getting a bit too sappy for Nevin. “Yeah, well, we'll see how it plays out, huh?” He bit, affirming to the Jedi that he still wasn't entirely convinced of the entire idea.

“We'll make sense of everything. I'm sure of it,” Luke encouraged.

Nevin wasn't so sure. “I'll meet you there,” he said as he switched off the comlink.
CMAC Associate

Post Posted: Mon, July 07th 2008 05:05pm    Post subject:

"Sorry," Luke promptly apologized as he tucked the comlink back into his robe. He could tell Leia was annoyed by the interruption, and wouldn't have bothered if it had been anyone else, but the shadow in the back of his mind was still there, and Nevin was part of it. He could feel it.

"So you did talk to him." she inferred, her eyes piercing into him intently.

"Yeah," Luke began, putting together his explaination quickly thereafter and continuing. "He's definitely hiding something important. But I couldn't get it out of him. Not yet, anyway. I figured that if I could help him a little, maybe even... train him, he'll take me into his trust and we could get some answers."

She cocked an eyebrow, curious at his thought process. "Do you expect to find 'answers' when you leave?"

He took a moment to think, if only to help convince himself, but couldn't come up with something. Although he was certain that his investigation into Nevin would uncover something, he didn't know what it would be. He didn't know if he would come out with any more "answers," or merely more empty strings of the growing web. If he couldn't even convince himself of that, then why would he lie to his sister?

"Honestly, I don't know what I expect to find..."
Private First Class

Post Posted: Mon, July 07th 2008 05:06pm    Post subject:

Leia looked at Luke with deep concern. “You're not going to be away for long... right?” She asked, her voice embodying her fear of her brother being taken from her yet again.

“Don't worry,” Luke advised with a small, reassuring smile. “I have a feeling it won't be too long.”

“Make sure it isn't, Luke,” Leia pleaded. Ridiculous and unnatural events had stolen Luke away for years. Now, finally, everyone – mostly everyone – were in her life again. She was not willing to let Luke slip away again.

Luke's smile grew. “I'll send you the ID signature of the ship as soon as I can. If there's an emergency, you'll be able to find me.”

She nodded slowly before standing from her seat. Leia had to be as sure of his safety as possible. “And send a report back every couple days?”

“Of course,” Luke promised. Leia tried to smile, returning some of Luke's own encouragement, but it was not at all assuring. “Take care of yourself,” he said before turning away, heading towards the door.

“Wait,” Leia exclaimed abruptly. She moved around her desk, approaching Luke. She threw her arms around him in embrace and pulled him close. In any event, she was not going to let him leave, this time, without a hug.

Luke returned the embrace for several moments before pulling away from his sister. He exited from the office, faint smile still on his face.

Back to top »
dudop
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, September 29th 2008 02:22pm    Post subject:

Dudop's shuttle landed not far from the capital building. He got out and walked down the crowded street. When he finally got there he was stopped by a security guard.
"What's your business here?" He asked.
"I have a message for The President."
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Denon » Chief of State's Office (surface)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: