}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Battle System/General Battle Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » Battle System/General Battle Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 03:40pm    Post subject:

Are you going to just discount every battle in history that disagrees with your idea of the nature of war? 'cos if so, we're going to end up with VERY short textbooks :P

-Grand Admiral, Chief of Staff of Nespis Defence Force-

"LOL DILDOS" - Cray | "FFS" - Ams | "Moff, you should know better." - Han

Alex says:
I outnumber him ten million to one
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:
everytime i talk to alexus, i love him a little more

Holder of the 30,000th post

Inventor of the phrase "I'll get my killin' hat." (Seriously. Google it.)

"My gut can't repel comedy of that magnitude!" - Jace911
 Back to top »
Carlist Rieekan
Master Sergeant

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 03:43pm    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:
Your question is hard, Carlist. :(

Namely because it'll kinda be a hybrid. You will be fighting all over the planet, I assume (obviously, there are scenarios where that would neither be necessary or required).

So it'll be like one battle in one place then move to another place on the planet for another battle?

Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 03:45pm    Post subject:

If it's in real time, be prepared for five year wars, too, Carlist :wink:

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 03:46pm    Post subject:

Nah. Tanks in SW are faster. :p

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 03:47pm    Post subject:

Don't ignore my points, Ams :P

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 03:49pm    Post subject:

Well, don't count on a two day battle for a whole planet... unless the other puts his entire army in one place. >_>

<_<

Ground campaigns will probably take a couple months.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 03:53pm    Post subject:

No, I mean the whole 'battles are fought by hundreds of thousands of soldiers' thing.

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 03:53pm    Post subject:

...good god. :D
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 04:19pm    Post subject:

Hey, if you want to... *evil smirk*

Expand

Back to top »
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 06:38pm    Post subject:

To big comes to mind... I had a viable idea actually... I wrote it down somewheres... the jest of it was based around intelligence, victory points and actual strategic deployment, both for the offensive side and the defensive side, that would encourage guerrilla warfare, squad based conflict and, for those who are into the Redcoat strategy, the ability to actually fight a full scale conflict... but I doubted anyone would want to hear it and Ams is usually stubborn and defensive when it comes to his battle system. :P
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." - Sun Tzu
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carnor Jax
ECP Member/Faction Lieutenant

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 08:41pm    Post subject:

There is also the plausibility of RPing the battles out, or having a CMAC Moderator present at a discussion of tactics between the two commanding officers - losses could be calculated and executed in a single night, and the situation could be resolved without the need for drawn-out calculations and Battlemaster headaches.

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Expand

"I gained [my votes] through "legal" means (read: bribes and threats)."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 09:01pm    Post subject:

Carnor Jax wrote:
There is also the plausibility of RPing the battles out, or having a CMAC Moderator present at a discussion of tactics between the two commanding officers - losses could be calculated and executed in a single night, and the situation could be resolved without the need for drawn-out calculations and Battlemaster headaches.

You see, that is then the failure of the system itself, or as the admins have made me believe, that if it takes RPing then the battle system really is to badly built to work and can't be used, if thats true its a failure of the admins because its their battle system to relieve them of headaches.

I doubt the current battle system is much of a headache to Ams anyways, its more of a headache to us, especially since it has no guide or examples to it and Ams constantly makes rules and other things up without explaining them further confusing everyone.

I still have no clue how to win against an Akula, let alone a fleet of them, with smaller more agile ships in greater numbers. It just isn't a system that has ever made sense to me, even when I was toward being evenly matched it was incomprehensible. Just the sheer scale was a mouth full.

I would much rather have a system that can either balance being outnumbered and having big ships or even a system that at least gives a person a chance who can take a frigate and go toe to toe with an Akula, matching its firepower with speed and maneuverability.

Is it just me or is that not what won the Rebellion and the Naboo so many victories? Who can forget the Millennium Falcon dodging point blank shots from an ISD and attacks from fighters as it made its way into an asteroid field?
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." - Sun Tzu
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carnor Jax

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 09:09pm    Post subject:

Contrary to popular belief, the current battlesystem does factor things like strategy and maneuverability into account when dealing with battles. For example, General-Admiral Cartos' tactic of turning the Potestatem into a dedicated targeting computer increased the efficiency of the Imperial guns, and the fact that the only thing that the rebels ordered were firing patterns (as opposed to maneuvering as well) was something that caused the lopsidedness of the damage.

The battlesystem as it stands is only supposed to be used when the two parties cannot agree on an outcome. It provides an unbiased and completely sterile view of the battle as it progresses, thereby disallowing any theory of favoritism or battle siding when the two commanding officers are so at odds with one another that they cannot see a logical outcome to the battle as it is presented.

And personally, I have develloped no less than five seperate tactics to take on an Akula with minimal losses, with ships no larger than a standard Imperator and no swarm tactics. There is more to the game than firepower alone, the cunning you display and the in-depth tactics you put into your battles have much more effect than you think, and more impact than simply the number of guns you have.

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

Expand

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 09:14pm    Post subject:

Again... how could one ever know this when anyone who is "in the know" says, "there is more to this game then meets the eye," like the old guy who plays the trick where he switches a ball he has in his hands behind his back just before he explains the trick, unfortunately, that explanation never comes.
 Back to top »
Carnor Jax

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 09:16pm    Post subject:

Asking questions is a good way to learn things, not just assuming the entire world is out to get you. The reason I know is because I hound people until I get answers, and I meticulously plan every battle tactic I have before going into battle... I know how to counter, how to discuss and explain virtually every ship or troop position and emplacement, and how to exploit weaknesses that people don't see.

In short: If you want to know something, ask about it.

Expand

Back to top »
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 09:23pm    Post subject:

Yeah... you know, I never thought to ask an Imperial Officer what strategy would be best to destroy an Akula or how to approach an IMC-1000 without my fleet's obliteration, no really. :P
 Back to top »
Thanates Scyntor
Corporal

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 09:25pm    Post subject:

I meant about the battle system, not on tactics... if you can't figure it out on your own, maybe you shouldn't be a naval officer :P

"I do not forgive. Look into my eyes, and you will see only the promise of Hell."

~~~~~~~~~

Brent - Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing... how embarrassing. says:
DT-IVs are MY pets
Dj (VIII is begining to piss me off.) says:
SCREW YOUR PETS!
Supreme Moff Ams Jendob says:
Indeed.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 09:27pm    Post subject:

Thanates Scyntor wrote:
I meant about the battle system, not on tactics... if you can't figure it out on your own, maybe you shouldn't be a naval officer :P

I really... shouldn't... but who else do I have to turn to but me when everyone truly is against me? :P
 Back to top »
Carnor Jax

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 09:29pm    Post subject:

You know, Rachmaninoff was a VERY good officer...

Expand

Back to top »
Jace911
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 09:45pm    Post subject:

Yeah, so was Piett. Guess what happened to him. :P

"Screw Lucas." - Moff, avid Star wars fanboy

Attack of the Clones, as summarized by Alexus.

Expand
 Back to top »
Carnor Jax

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 09:47pm    Post subject:

He got rammed by an A-Wing. Talk about PWNT...

Expand

Back to top »
Trassk
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Thu, June 07th 2007 11:17pm    Post subject:

It's worse than that. :P

PIETT: INTENSIFY LAZORZ
PILOT: OH NOEZ
PIETT: U N00B
PIETT: *dies*
PILOT: *dies*
EXECUTOR: *dies*
279,144 CREWMEN: *dies*
-1,165,126 Per Week

"If Godzilla had a gun..."
–Jase Denora

"THE SHARK'S NOT WORKING!"
-Random person working on JAWS

"Beavers and ducks!"
-Some guy on BANDITS.

"I should face my fears by leaping off a roof?"
-Jace

One Trandoshan's a problem. Two is a fight. Three is suicide.
 Back to top »
Xaph
Cadet

Post Posted: Fri, June 08th 2007 03:10am    Post subject:

Carnor Jax wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, the current battlesystem does factor things like strategy and maneuverability into account when dealing with battles.

Rory, AMS said that it didn't account for them, not us. :P

Quote:
And personally, I have develloped no less than five seperate tactics to take on an Akula with minimal losses, with ships no larger than a standard Imperator and no swarm tactics.

Yes, but as an Imp, you know the ship very well.

Carnor Jax wrote:

In short: If you want to know something, ask about it.

That's what I did with this thread...

Last edited by Xaph on Fri, June 08th 2007 03:12am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Firmus Piett
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Fri, June 08th 2007 03:48am    Post subject:

Jace911 wrote:
Yeah, so was Piett. Guess what happened to him. :P

I live...still...the fact of the matter is that if we were going to keep true to the films in every instance then the Rebels would allways win on the basis of luck.
Jace911
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, June 08th 2007 09:43am    Post subject:

True.

"Screw Lucas." - Moff, avid Star wars fanboy

Attack of the Clones, as summarized by Alexus.

Expand
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » Battle System/General Battle Questions
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: