}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Battle System/General Battle Questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » Battle System/General Battle Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xaph
Cadet

Post Posted: Tue, June 05th 2007 08:47am    Post subject: Battle System/General Battle Questions

How long does it take reinforcements to arrive in a battle? It seems odd that organisation of troops, divisions, loading of troops, docking of fighters, and fleet preperation could all take place in one RP.

Do fighters and bombers actually pack a punch against larger ships? If so, how much?

How detailed does the system get? If a ship blows up, will other ships nearby be damaged?

Is their anyway that a severely outnumbered fleet can win? And how? (Just answering 'tactics' is not enough)

Alright, just answer this, Ams, once and for all. I don't want anyone else but the Battlemaster's opinion. What does an Ion cannon do in this game? Planetary or otherwise, I don't care. I just want to know what the effect of an ion shot on a ship is.

When you have a massive fleet that contains hundreds of ships, how does that work? I mean, radio chatter, space problems, all this confusion is just ironed out?

New Question:

What's stopping fleets from just standing there and blasting the crap out of the planet?

Why were their planetary invasions at all in SW?

I'll post more as I think of them.

Last edited by Xaph on Wed, June 06th 2007 01:41pm; edited 3 times in total
 Back to top »
Alexus Sienar
Private

Post Posted: Tue, June 05th 2007 08:52am    Post subject:

I'd also like an answer to these questions. They're good questions.
at the end of World War 1, the RN had 60 battleships/dreadnoughts
Alex says:
where did they all go?
George says:
they vanished
George says:
to fight in the last great time war
George says:
(disbanded)

Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Tue, June 05th 2007 09:39am    Post subject:

Quote:
How long does it take reinforcements to arrive in a battle? It seems odd that organisation of troops, divisions, loading of troops, docking of fighters, and fleet preperation could all take place in one RP.

This is a CMAC debate point.

Quote:
Alright, just answer this, Ams, once and for all. I don't want anyone else but the Battlemaster's opinion. What does an Ion cannon do in this game? Planetary or otherwise, I don't care. I just want to know what the effect of an ion shot on a ship is.

This is also a debate point.

Quote:
Do fighters and bombers actually pack a punch against larger ships? If so, how much?

Ditto.

Quote:
When you have a massive fleet that contains hundreds of ships, how does that work? I mean, radio chatter, space problems, all this confusion is just ironed out?

This is why you subdivide the fleet into several smaller units with their own commanders. One commander cannot directly coordinate hundreds of ships.

Quote:
How detailed does the system get? If a ship blows up, will other ships nearby be damaged?

AFAIK, no.

Quote:
Is their anyway that a severely outnumbered fleet can win? And how? (Just answering 'tactics' is not enough)

"Tactics" pretty much is the answer. I'm sure Moff will give an example, but it most certainly is possible.
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Tue, June 05th 2007 04:05pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Current conversion rate is 1 hour transit time/turn. This is under review as some in the administration feel this is too fast, especially with the increased hyperspace speeds.

Quote:

Yes and no. A lone fighter against an Executor will do very little beyond getting killed. A flight of fighters against a corvette, or squadron or two against a frigate, however, can do some damage.

Bombers can be very effective when used correctly. Now, correct use varies by model and target, but don't treat them like heavy bombers or like interceptors. They're fighter-bombers, and must be used as such or you will take losses before you can fire a single shot.

Quote:

Detail is another matter of CMAC debate. I wouldn't mind a little more detail, perhaps extending into splash damage from exploding ships.

Quote:

Yes, there is. Be smart. Know your enemy. Exploit his weaknesses with your strengths, and prevent him from doing the same.

In other words, tactics. :p Battles have devolved into simple slugging matches where the guy with the most turbolasers wins. On the one hand, I kinda like it that way: it makes defeating those people much easier. :p But, as an admin, it's also somewhat disappointing.

Quote:

They damage shields and disable systems.

Quote:

You'll note at the battle of Thyferra, there was roughly one PCC commander for every 100 Imperial ships. In addition, there's a strict organization structure to Imperial fleets with multiple levels of command.

Now, other fleets are more just throwing together a random or semi-organized collection of ships, often in the high-hundreds or even into the thousands in number.

And unless they have a plan for each and every ship, and the ability to work with all of them, that fleet is doomed to fail. Plain and simple.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Xaph
Cadet

Post Posted: Tue, June 05th 2007 04:45pm    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:

Quote:

Yes and no. A lone fighter against an Executor will do very little beyond getting killed. A flight of fighters against a corvette, or squadron or two against a frigate, however, can do some damage.

But in major fleet exchanges, how much of a punch can they pack?

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, there is. Be smart. Know your enemy. Exploit his weaknesses with your strengths, and prevent him from doing the same.

An example? For instance, if I were to do a hit-and-run attack, wouldn't this answer and the first one mean that a fleet will instantly be at my homeworld?

Quote:
Quote:

You'll note at the battle of Thyferra, there was roughly one PCC commander for every 100 Imperial ships. In addition, there's a strict organization structure to Imperial fleets with multiple levels of command.
h all of them, that fleet is doomed to fail. Plain and simple.

But more specifically, how do they manage to move around? How much space can there be with hundreds of ships bouncing around?
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Tue, June 05th 2007 04:52pm    Post subject:

Quote:
But in major fleet exchanges, how much of a punch can they pack?

As I said, you have to choose your targets carefully. Some bombers in this game can carry the most powerful projectile weapon after the AMT-MkI torpedo (the thing that did the T2 ripoff at Thyferra). But if you're asking if just throwing a wing of fighters or bombers at any target guarantees success, no. It does not. Will it be comparable to the broadside of an ESD? No.

But they still have uses.

Quote:
An example? For instance, if I were to do a hit-and-run attack, wouldn't this answer and the first one mean that a fleet will instantly be at my homeworld?

How do you figure?

Quote:
But more specifically, how do they manage to move around? How much space can there be with hundreds of ships bouncing around?

It depends on how closely packed they are. You do bring up a good point, though. CMAC is looking at having future formation submission include spacing.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Xaph
Cadet

Post Posted: Tue, June 05th 2007 04:54pm    Post subject:

Because with one RP, a fleet can be launched at me, regardless of how the battle is going.
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Tue, June 05th 2007 06:55pm    Post subject:

And that fleet would take time to arrive at your position.

Expand

Back to top »
Xaph
Cadet

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 03:02am    Post subject:

Well, it just seems to me (and maybe this is the way you guys want it), the only battle method that works with the system is just making a phalanx and standing there, attacking.

EDIT: New question.

Last edited by Xaph on Wed, June 06th 2007 03:04am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Jace911
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 10:07am    Post subject:

Quote:
What's stopping fleets from just standing there and blasting the crap out of the planet?

CMAC. :P

I've wondered that a bit myself.

"Screw Lucas." - Moff, avid Star wars fanboy

Attack of the Clones, as summarized by Alexus.

Expand
 Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 11:34am    Post subject:

Nothing.

See: Corulag.

-Grand Admiral, Chief of Staff of Nespis Defence Force-

"LOL DILDOS" - Cray | "FFS" - Ams | "Moff, you should know better." - Han

Alex says:
I outnumber him ten million to one
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:
everytime i talk to alexus, i love him a little more

Holder of the 30,000th post

Inventor of the phrase "I'll get my killin' hat." (Seriously. Google it.)

"My gut can't repel comedy of that magnitude!" - Jace911
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 12:04pm    Post subject:

Planetary defenses. Shields. And a lot of luck.

Expand

Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 12:06pm    Post subject:

Wipe them out. All of them.

Eh, Palpy? :wink:

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 12:11pm    Post subject:

Palpy doesn't exist yet. He's still just a Disturbance. :(

Expand

Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 12:17pm    Post subject:

THEN MAKE HIM FLESH ONCE MORE! AHAHAHAHAAA! :twisted:

Um... kittens and bunnies and sugar cookies. Yeah.

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 12:22pm    Post subject:

Actually, I'm just waiting on a name change. :p

EDIT: Okay, back on topic. Xaph has some pretty good questions and I'd rather not get sidetracked.

Expand

Last edited by Ams Jendob on Wed, June 06th 2007 12:23pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Xaph
Cadet

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 01:41pm    Post subject:

Yay Xaph!

Wait...you didn't answer that last one :(
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 02:11pm    Post subject:

Because without them, ESB would be shorter. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Xaph
Cadet

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 02:12pm    Post subject:

Or TPM or AOTC?

Last edited by Xaph on Wed, June 06th 2007 02:13pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 02:13pm    Post subject:

Yeah, those too. Also, you cannot conquer without controlling ground.

Expand

Back to top »
Xaph
Cadet

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 02:15pm    Post subject:

Yet you can just wipe everything out from space...then land a single troop and consider it conquered.
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 02:20pm    Post subject:

Not really. Orbital bombardment destroys a lot of assets that the conquerer could use (the main reason for conquest is resources). Also... unless the planet is utterly destroyed, there will likely be surviving troops.

Expand

Back to top »
Zero
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 02:21pm    Post subject:

Yeah, but slagging a whole planet and it's population from space just isn't proper, awfully boring writing, actually.

Besides, everyone should do it the way the new, improved Empire does. After they take a planet, Ams Jendob comes down personally and gives the native ruler a consolation hug

<Rank image pending...>

Scyntor: Oh and this is my new best friend Zero...no...noooo...don't point the big experimental plasma weapon at the nice rebel leader...
 Back to top »
Xaph
Cadet

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 02:22pm    Post subject:

Ams, how does the ground combat battlesystem work?
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Wed, June 06th 2007 02:23pm    Post subject:

I think he'll want to change his mind about it being on the platoon level :lol:

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » Battle System/General Battle Questions
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: