}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
RPG Beginner Guide
Goto page 1, 2  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » RPG Beginner Guide
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solomon

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 04:26pm    Post subject: RPG Beginner Guide

As a new RPer, I have absolutely no idea where to begin, and I think I'm missing parts and functions of the game. They may be obvious to most, but to someone with two days experience, I'm lost.

I also signed up to the Alliance as Garm Bel Iblis, but again, but in a Galaxy that has battles with hundreds of ships (ie, Thyferra), I have NO idea what to do as an Alliance member or where to start.

Has anyone put any thought into developing a better rookie's guide or a step-by-step approach to getting started and on track?
 Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 04:33pm    Post subject:

Um... :P

calias2@hotmail.com

feel free to add me on msn and I'll answer any and all of your questions.
Koto-Si News
Private First Class

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 04:40pm    Post subject:

If all is as it was, then you should need the proper viewing capabilities, and in that is the ability to see things like Alliance High Command and etc. Meh, I've confused myself. Ignore me.
 Back to top »
Solomon

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 04:44pm    Post subject:

Thank you, MUCH obliged.
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 07:35pm    Post subject:

You can also talk to the admins. :)

It's our job, too. :p

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 07:37pm    Post subject:

Hey Solomon,

This link should help immensely. :)
Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 07:40pm    Post subject:

You could also reach me at m_mcney@hotmail.com if you wanted to start a custom faction or you wanted to know the layout of the RPG, like what not to do and what to do, or even if you wanted a different point of view I'm always here to help. :)
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." - Sun Tzu
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 07:41pm    Post subject:

Talk to the admins. >_>
<_<

:p

Also, Brote... he's got a canon Rebel character.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 07:43pm    Post subject:

Are you asking me not to lend my help out? :?
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." - Sun Tzu
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Surge Skyes
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 07:44pm    Post subject:

Ew... canon.

Grand Air Marshal Surge Skyes

CEO of Skyes Cargo

AWC-180II Red Hawk

1,019,052,120 Cr

6,000 Per Week
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 07:46pm    Post subject:

It's a JOKE, Brote. I know, scary coming from me to you. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 07:51pm    Post subject:

Oh, lol... :P
 Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 10:04pm    Post subject:

Admins or... Arlyn. >.> <.<
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 10:18pm    Post subject:

We have cookies. Arlyn just has bug juice. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Surge Skyes
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 10:41pm    Post subject:

I have freighters to ship the cookies by the billion. :P

CEO of Skyes Cargo

AWC-180II Red Hawk

1,019,052,120 Cr

6,000 Per Week
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 11:09pm    Post subject:

I have freighters to ship them by the quadrillion. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Jane Williams
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 11:14pm    Post subject:

I have a planet of musicians...

[New Image to Come]

Next in line of succession - Tom Williams
 Back to top »
Natalie Pearson
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 11:38pm    Post subject:

I have pie ... and I'm not sharing...

Superior Moff Natalie Pearson
PalpySlut Second Class

"... it's "Voila," you inbred piece of --hey look, a butterfly... " - Rory
 Back to top »
Surge Skyes
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 11:47pm    Post subject:

Why the hell do we always do this with a new player? And am I the only one that notices it scares them away? :P

CEO of Skyes Cargo

AWC-180II Red Hawk

1,019,052,120 Cr

6,000 Per Week
 Back to top »
Tiara Tranada
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Mon, May 21st 2007 12:07am    Post subject:

I got a thousand credits that say it won't :P

Colonel Tiara Tranada
Agent Stentax 666

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Mon, May 21st 2007 12:10am    Post subject:

Well, to start, this is basically normal here. We're fairly laid back and friendly, Solomon; although, we get strange from time to time. :p

I'm Ams. I'm the guy responsible for making sure no one plays with anything they don't have, and for taking care of battles. I'm also the least serious of the CMAC (that's a triumvirate of head admins here. Basically, the buck stops with us) members... usually. It's not generally good when I get serious.:p

Nevin is our resident geek admin, and is current on sabbatical for academic reasons. He's also Leia Organa Solo, so you'll probably work with him a lot.

Han is our chief artist and senior mod expert. She's also the conscience of CMAC along with Nevin.:p

Kal Skirata is our senior mod. Really good guy, you'll like him. :)

Petyr Baelish works with me on designs. Another good guy, if quiet. :p

Darth Vader... is Darth Vader. I can't really explain that better. A good guy as a player, leader of the Empire. He's alive in this. :p

Arlyn... well, to be nice, Arlyn is the Rebel Security Chief. She does some side work I won't detail, but Alex (the man behind the woman :p) is a nice guy.

Brote is Brote. Interesting fellow.:p

Then there's the rest. No, I'm not listing you all... I like you all, but hey... let's be reasonable. :p It's a good group, a friendly community. We have the occasional flare-up, but we're working on that. And we're glad to welcome you into the fold. :D

Expand

Last edited by Ams Jendob on Mon, May 21st 2007 12:17am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Solomon

Post Posted: Mon, May 21st 2007 02:41am    Post subject:

Yeah, it sounds like you guys all have a really tight community here, and I know that's an awesome base for an RPG. I have also read the three major RP and character guides. But there really isn't a place or a person to help deal with the questions that would give a new guy a structure in which to deal with. Quite frankly, I may as well put some of them here. Questions for the Alliance, I'll put elsewhere. ;)

As a new player, could I claim a planet or group of planets for my own? As a canon character, could I claim my independent canon fleet? As a single player, could I approach neutral players to join my personal group?

In other RPs, I emloyed several tactics in battles that didn't rely on strictly number rolls. Are numbers more important than finese(sp)?

I mean, as a total rookie, I feel like I'm given a lot of rules, but little structure.

Last edited by Solomon on Mon, May 21st 2007 02:42am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, May 21st 2007 04:53am    Post subject:

Trust me, thats how we all feel, the games a lot about discovery.

To your first question, yes, you could with a character that was your own and you developed them correctly, you could go into the Alliance for example become planetary governor or something and have a succession.

As for canon character, its rather shunned to do non-canon things with canon characters, unless you explain it and send a complicated and competent storyline to CMAC.

There is OTHER groups in this game besides the Empire and the Rebellion, such as the Ssi-Ruuvi, the Nespis Republic, the Black Sun, the Hapes Consortium (though its dead :P ), and of course my Imperium (which is in the middle of a civil war and has quite a few factions to it), there are many more that you have to discover on your own because I can't remember them all. So yes, you could approach anyone to join a private group of your own design, but you are in only one faction at a time, I think thats the rule.

As for tactics, really controversial tactics :P, big ships with big firepower means your probably going to win a battle, I've had plenty of people outnumbered in fleet size and was still not a match to the new generation of Russian named Imperial Supership, the Akula. If your good with figuring out overwhelming tactics through outnumbering, then perhaps you will go far, but I've never personally seen it happen.
 Back to top »
Jack Williams
Private First Class

Post Posted: Mon, May 21st 2007 05:45am    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure the rule was revised to be that you can have characters in two factions, as long as both faction leaders know and approve of you having a character in the other faction.

Personal Funds: 2,776,343 credits
 Back to top »
Volytar
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, May 21st 2007 06:15am    Post subject:

I am the one Ams is obsessed with trying to kill off - I'm also the one who bitches when people start acting like they shouldn't canonically. Just so you know....
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » RPG Beginner Guide
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: