}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
In Light of Recent Events...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Announcements » In Light of Recent Events...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 04:16pm    Post subject:

Well, obviously the battle system needs to be redone. :P
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." - Sun Tzu
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 04:19pm    Post subject:

...Why do you think we're doing this trial run? :p

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 04:23pm    Post subject:

I have a question, in regard to the capability of an Ion Cannon, isn't it just a ray of energy? Wouldn't one shot take down a shield and second fry a ship's circuitry? Or is it not like an EMP?
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." - Sun Tzu
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 04:26pm    Post subject:

...It's a bunch of ions, hence "ion cannon." :p

So, no, one shot from any cannon wouldn't work against all ships. Fighters have very small ion cannons, capital ships have larger ones. Ground-based guns can be largest of all, but can really cover all sizes.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 04:37pm    Post subject:

That didn't answer my question, wouldn't one shot take down a shield and a one second fry a ship's circuitry and drain its power? Or is it not like an EMP?
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 05:03pm    Post subject:

That's what I said... no. :p

It's not like an EMP at all.

Expand

Back to top »
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 05:53pm    Post subject:

Then how does it disable ships?
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 05:55pm    Post subject:

Ions are charged particles. They cause surges and shorts that disable power and computer function in the affected system.

Expand

Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 05:57pm    Post subject:

And the location of the ion blast hit, would determine which systems?

And are there ways to develop any kind of Anti- Emp and Ion cannon?
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 05:58pm    Post subject:

That sounds like an EMP, which would fry circuitry by overloading it with energy, causing a massive surge of power. It wouldn't have to be big to reset all the computers, but what would happen if it corrupted data by frying hard drives and the like?
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 06:00pm    Post subject:

It's not an EMP. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 06:03pm    Post subject:

I need a small personal shield that can defend against an emp pulse. It doesn't necessary have to be an energy shield of sorts, but something that will save a walking computer. :P
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 06:06pm    Post subject:

Something like that would be possible. But to do it with a starship would be extremely expensive (i.e. out of reach for just about every faction).

Just submit it to CMAC... and anti-ion/EMP stuff isn't cheap at all.

Expand

Back to top »
Volytar
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 06:08pm    Post subject:

Its called insulation...if it was a shield...it would be electrical based...and therefore somewhat vulnerable to EMP or Ionic attacks...to my greater knowledge it would require the droid to be manufactured out of non-conductive materials with insulation for all other parts. Course if the energy it was running on was life energy...like Ssi-ruuk vessels for instance than the matter would be a somewhat different affair I guess...hmm this raises a question...are enteched powersources immune to ion and emp blasts?
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 06:11pm    Post subject:

...Cool, so Skynet T-600s are ion proof. :p

Unforunately, we don't use latex skin on our T-600s in VIII.

Expand

Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 06:12pm    Post subject:

So if an EMP pulse hit, what are Ryan's chances of going loopy?
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 06:13pm    Post subject:

Good. :p

Of course, it's also intensity. If a powerful EMP bomb were to go off in his hand, he'd be screwed no matter what.

Expand

Last edited by Ams Jendob on Fri, May 18th 2007 06:14pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 06:15pm    Post subject:

Human Replica Droids are synthetic i thought, wouldn't that sort of dampen that? :P
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 06:16pm    Post subject:

So, what is the difference between EMP and Ion? Why does an Ion only knock out some systems and not the shield on impact? If I had an EMP gun, which wouldn't be hard to build, what effect would it have on firing it at a starship?
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 06:16pm    Post subject:

They have a lot of metal and conductive materials in them. :p

EDIT: Very little, Brote.

Expand

Last edited by Ams Jendob on Fri, May 18th 2007 06:17pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 06:17pm    Post subject:

How long would it take for Ryan to download his brain into a backup?
Volytar
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 06:23pm    Post subject:

To the best of my guessing I'm gonna assume Ryan is constructed along the lines of the Imperial Design specifications like Guri and take a guess that a massive EMP pulse would do little but send his sensory system haywire...given that its only in Clone Wars (and Battlefront at that) that they ever really use EMP tech its safe to assume it's not as particularily prolific in this day and age....again the design of SW droids is supposed to be as such that direct blasts of ionic energy are the most immediate threats to them - its why battledroids are to inviable as the technology now exists to easily disable them unless the manufacturer has spent thousands of extra credits on insulating - like the Imperial Darktrooper droids and the Skynet Terminators.

Also I can't remember were I saw it but there was a mention of the accuracy of turbolasers - as a rule they are supposed to be highly accurate (as in they fly straight in the direction they are fired in until the bolt dissapates) the reason for innacurate orbital bombardments are gunners beeing impared by a mixture of factors (mainly to do with a plants atmosphere) effecting their sensors that prevent a ship in space getting a remotly decent lock on a targe without the aid of beacons to guide their shots - hence a ISD is rarely good at precision bombardment unless its working in conjuction with ground units.
 Back to top »
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 06:34pm    Post subject:

Thank you, I knew I was right when I said they couldn't do stuff like that. :P
 Back to top »
Nora Stark
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 06:41pm    Post subject:

I've already designed an ion-resistant ship....

Credits: 2,024,526,850
---------------------------
Just Another Broadcast with George Q'Bert - The most watched fake news program in the galaxy!
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, May 18th 2007 06:46pm    Post subject:

A SMALL one. And it was expensive. AT-TEs were also shielded.

Expand

Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Announcements » In Light of Recent Events...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: