}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Coruscant Air Defense
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Coruscant » Coruscant Air Defense
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carnor Jax
ECP Member/Faction Lieutenant

Post Posted: Tue, June 20th 2006 03:17am    Post subject: Coruscant Air Defense

Grand Marshal Carnor Jax stood at the observation platform atop the Imperial Air Traffic Control tower. His faceless black helm swept the airspace before him, his hands clasped beneath the crimson-lined sable cloak over his shoulders, calmly waiting. Behind him stood a company of his personal warriors: the Black Hole Troopers.

Their armor, modeled after that of the Imperial Stormtrooper, seemed to suck the sunlight from the air as they stood at parade rest. Flanking their immaculate formation, like a red emphasis accentuating the black, were two files of Crimson Stormtroopers, Imperial Royal Guardsmen that were circulated back into the trooper ranks.

Jax xpoke calmly into his commlink, then snapped to attention as the sound of ion engines begain building in the distance. Behind him, as one, the troopers behind him mimicked the Grand Marshal's move in step, the sound of boot treads ringing against the durasteel platform. "Commence flyover."

Jax looked up in time to see a full squadron of TIE Defenders fly in formation so close their wingtips almost touched, then flared away in a starburst of black and grey. Closely following them, three wings of TIE Interceptors and a swarm of TIE/ln fighters, all flying in perfect formation. The populace below cheered at the airshow as the fighters wove through intricate maneuvers, dropping colorful explosive charges and adding pyrotechnics to their flyovers.

Jax smiled beneath his helm. These pilots were chosen at random and given one week to prepare for their show today, and most didn't even require that amount of time. The modifications he had made to the training regimen since the declaration exactly one year ago today showed through, and as a result the TIE Fighter pilot was among the most efficient anywhere in the galaxy.

"Company, about face." With a tap of toes to durasteel, and the shuffle of rubber treads the conglomeration of troopers turned around in perfect military formation, the flyovers continuing to the delight of the civilians. "Company, forward mach!" They broke into step with the Grand Marshal assuming a position at the tail of the group. As they walked to their awaiting transport Jax paused and looked back over his shoulder, up at the stars.

He paused until he found the one he was looking for: Corellia. He had made a promise before then, and he had spent the past year preparing for collection on that promise. He motioned for the transport to take off as he approached his waiting TIE Defender. Strapping himself into the cockpit he kicked the engines into drive and disengaged the aftermarket repulsorlifts, kicking himself into a spiraled dive that took him past the Imperial Palace before heading outsystem.

As soon as he reached the edge of the gravity well he kicked his engines into autopilot, and after one minute thirty seconds the hyperdrive kicked in to take him to his next destination... the core of his focus. Yinchorr.

Home to the Imperial Crimson Guard, IntelForce, and much more.

Carnor Jax is enroute to Yinchorr.

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Expand

"I gained [my votes] through "legal" means (read: bribes and threats)."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carnor Jax

Post Posted: Mon, September 11th 2006 09:52pm    Post subject:

Jax stood on the observation platform, sable-lined cloak flapping in the crosscurrent as commuters zipped back and forth on their ways to various destinations. He picked out an old-looking transport, and a SoroSuub custom speeder weaving its way through traffic and he smiled slightly to himself, beneath his helm. Today would be a good day. He spoke softly to his commlink, voice surprisingly light. "High Marshal Testudinata, please report to observation platform CD-12."

He cut the communique before confirmation could be given, and folded his hands behind his back as he waited. The man had waited a long time for what Jax was planning on saying...

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

Expand

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Socra Testudinata
Private First Class

Post Posted: Mon, September 11th 2006 10:02pm    Post subject:

Socra straightened his uniform, cracking his neck as he left his post atop the command tower of Coruscant Air Defense. What the hell did the Grand Marshal want THIS time?

The words rang in his head as the door cycled open, revealing the armored individual standing at the edge of the platform. He took two steps through and straightened his back, listening as the door cycled shut behind him. Socra paused, allowng himself a moment of speculation. Frequently the Grand Marshal seemed to know you were there before you did, but it would not stop him this time.

He was also Master Trainer of Yinchorr, at least that is what was said about him. Socra assumed there was more, though... the way the Grand Marshal never seemed to be caught completely by surprise, and his choice of weapons was not typical of any Imperial officer. He had been granted leave of wearing his rank plaque not by corroboration of High Command but by the Emperor Himself... an event of seeming insignificance to the Grand Marshal's eyes, but of intense gossip among the rest of the Air Force.

Then there was the event of a year and a half ago, where he had used two lightsabers to cut down a rogue Jedi Knight. At the time, Testudinata had not thought of it, but as time passed it slowly began to dawn on him that not only was the man a warrior, but somehow connected to the all-but-extinct religion of the Jedi. He was not sure how it all fit, but one thing he was certain of: the man carried an immense burden, and it was beginning to show.

He took five paces forward, until he was virtually within striking distance of the Grand Marshal. He assumed a parade rest, looking out over Jax's shoulder at the traffic patterns. After a moment of silence, he spoke. "You asked to see me, sir?"

'Tis I says:
Ams sank your Socraship. :S
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carnor Jax

Post Posted: Mon, September 11th 2006 10:09pm    Post subject:

The cool scrutiny of the officer behind him was not lost on Jax. Some may have viewed it with contempt, but the fact that the man had been at his rank longer than Jax himself had been Grand Marshal, it was to be expected. After all, Testudinata had viewed his promotion to the highest rank of the Air Force with little short of open loathing, though he had spent a great deal of effort in winning the man over.

He did not turn, and did not ask the High Marshal to come forward, but instead continued looking over the Coruscanti sunset. "Such a beautiful day... a calm before the inevitable storm. Though I suppose you already knew that and have been making arrangements accordingly." He paused, tilting his head as if listening for a distant sound.

"Youv'e done most of the planning and prep work since I was promoted, and I don't want you to think that will go unnoticed. As a matter of fact, the reason I wanted you down here was so you could take down a bit of dictation. I assume you have a datapad."

Expand

Back to top »
Socra Testudinata
Private First Class

Post Posted: Mon, September 11th 2006 10:16pm    Post subject:

Socra's fists tightened. He reached carefully into his pocket and pulled the datapad out, grinding his teeth. He flicked it on and, while it loaded, took a step forward to stand beside the Grand Marshal. This was the last straw: If Jax killed him, then so be it, but he wasn't going to stand by any longer and be passed over again.

"Sir, with all due respect, why in the hell did you not get a secretary if you wanted to dictate something? I could at the very least have been monitoring some potential smuggling chains that have been infiltrating Coruscant over the past week, or perhaps reorgainze our attack stratecies. Instead, I'm called down here while you wax philosophical and treat me like some damn 'droid! What the hell is so important that you would have me take it down?"

His tone was cool, but fury blazed in Testudinata's eyes. He watched his reflection in the crimson contours of Jax's helmet, wondering if he would live to draw another breath... and finding himself not caring.

'Tis I says:
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carnor Jax

Post Posted: Mon, September 11th 2006 10:21pm    Post subject:

Jax turned to the High Marshal quite calmly. A short time ago he would have killed such a being for even thinking of launching on a tirade as Socra had just done. However, with recent speculation and insight, he had realized that the man's tension was justified. A hidden smile creased his lips, and he spoke simply.

"I called you, High Marshal, instead of a 'droid because you are familiar with the workings of High Command, and I need you to tell them that effective at 0000 tonight, I am resigning my commission as Grand Marshal of the Imperial Air Force. I also want you to place yourself in contention as my successor... as you probably should have gotten the job instead of me."

Jax's hands unfolded, the right laying on Socra's shoulder. "Good luck, my friend. It has been a pleasure serving with you." And with that, Jax walked aroudn the encircling dock to the platform on the other side and, with a kick of repulsors and a whine of ion exhaust, his TIE Defender shot out and into the atmosphere, to dock with Emperor Vader's squadron.

Expand

Back to top »
Socra Testudinata
Private First Class

Post Posted: Mon, September 11th 2006 10:26pm    Post subject:

Socra just stood there, blinking, as Jax walked away. Resign? Just what the hell was going on here?

Socra went to put the datapad in his pocket, only to realzie he had dropped it. He bent to pick it up, and looked at the transcribed words on the screen. He wasn't sure how the rest of High Command would take it, but he was sure that this close to war, it would be a major upheaval.

He straighted as he looked over the sunset, then turned and walked back into the Air Traffic Control tower. He decended the lift and exited the base of the tower, and immediately boarded a transport due for the Imperial Palace, intent on informing the Supreme Moff before too much time transpired.

'Tis I says:
 Back to top »
Socra Testudinata
Private First Class

Post Posted: Fri, November 24th 2006 11:27pm    Post subject:

For the first time since former Grand Marshal Jax had told him of his resignation, Socra Testudinata stood on the uppermost observation deck of the Air Traffic Control tower. Hands clasped loosely behind his back, he looked up through the grid of commuters towards a sector of the sky. A sector he knew his newest pet project to be resising in.

But this was to be something very special. An event for the ages, a blow landed with the might not only of the Empire, but of history behind it. A price exacted for the forgetfulness of past victories, and a reminder that Imperial Command knew how to learn from its mistakes.

It was for that reason that he had requested the presence of a rather unique individual... perhaps the single person that would most appreciate what he was doing. He heard the door cycle open and smiled to himself, his voice soft, yet still able to be heard by the one he spoke to.

"Grand Admiral Thrawn... it is a pleasure to finally meet you."

Socra turned and, with the crispness borne of years of training, brought his hand up in a sharp salute to the Chiss Warlord. The gesture was not necessary, being that they held the same comprable rank, but it was meant as a token of respect for the years of service Thrawn had in the Empire, and the resources saved thanks to his genius.

'Tis I says:
 Back to top »
Thrawn
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Fri, November 24th 2006 11:52pm    Post subject:

With a tug at the bottom of his crisp, white uniform coat, Thrawn stepped through the hissing doors into the room where his contact had asked for him to meet. There was just a wisp of motion as Rukh slunk his way into the shadows at Thrawn's right flank. The Noghri bodyguard was legendary in his efficiency.

The Grand Admiral's boots clicked softly against the sleek black floor, coming to a sharp stop before the man. Salutes, greetings, and pleasantries. Although Grand Admiral Thrawn could care less for the more theatrical productions of the Empire, he returned the man's salute with an astute nod. Respect, if anything, dictated a return. Thrawn would be wise to pay that much to a man of such background as the one before him.

"Grand Marshal Socra Testudinata," he spoke cooly, pausing a moment to scan the room. "To what do I owe the privilege of this meeting? This is of your arrangement if I am not mistaken?" One of Thrawn's blue-black eyebrows peaked slightly, the bare hint of a smile pursing his lips.
 Back to top »
Socra Testudinata
Private First Class

Post Posted: Sat, November 25th 2006 12:02am    Post subject:

The Grand Marshal smiled as he dropped the salute, then motioned for the Grand Admiral to join him as the sun began to set, throwing the entire cityscape of the Coruscant skyline into brilliant hues of yellow and orange. The effect was sublime in its beauty, a meld of high technology and nature in a way unrivaled except by a handful of other places in the galaxy.

"Indeed it is, Grand Admiral. I was looking through updates in the Imperial roster a couple days back and saw that you had renewed your commission. My recent trip to Reecee, and some of the thoughts I had along the way seemed to be right up your alley given what they say of your history."

Socra turned to look Thrawn in the eye. The glowing red orbs of the Chiss seemed to burn into his soul, and for the barest moment a thrill of the unknown raced down his spine. The Grand Marshal had never been one to be intimidated, but the intelligence belied in that gaze told him that this was not a man to be taken lightly... and that the rumors spoken of the Grand Admiral may not be rumors after all.

"I have taken the liberty of having a light supper prepared, Grand Admiral, in celebration of a continued history of the Empire. I was hoping we could share stories of the way things once were, I from the Starfighter side of it and you from the Navy.. and perhaps, through it, find what the future holds. What say you, sir?"

'Tis I says:
 Back to top »
Thrawn
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Sat, November 25th 2006 12:20am    Post subject:

There was a long moment of silence as Thrawn gazed out at the twilight skyline. It certainly was a rare sight to see such development of society and an untainted wash of natural color. Coruscant was indeed a rare locale. And looking out among the many skyscrapers and the various hues of color which spread themselves wide across the horizon, Thrawn couldn't help but reminisce the old days of the Empire. The days before Palpatine's death. The days before any needless conflict. But most importantly, the days before any peace with the Republic.

"That would be excellent, Grand Marshal," he replied. He took a deep breath of air, feeling the dryness of Coruscant's climate tinge his mouth. A meal with Grand Marshal Testudinata would do well to aid in Thrawn's transition back into the Empire. His return from the Unknown Regions couldn't have come a better time. Or so the Chiss would learn. "Shall we?"
 Back to top »
Socra Testudinata
Private First Class

Post Posted: Sat, November 25th 2006 12:36am    Post subject:

Socra lifted a hand towards the door, then walked at the Grand Admiral's right hand to a nearby conference room. As the door cycled shut the lights dimmed slightly, away from the harsh and utilitarian glare of flourescent bulbs to more natural lighting, gleaned from incandescent light sources. The table was of average size, enough so both men could seat themselves comfortably.

The humidity level was slightly higher than the climate of Coruscant, to better mimic the atmosphere of Csilla for the Grand Admiral's comfort. So too, for his tastes, was a comissioned art piece on the west wall, Ecumenopolis at Dawn. The flowing architecture of the painting and the way the colors seemed to run together was indicative of the mentality of Coruscant, but to Socra's untrained eye it was nothing but a piece of hide with pigments.

The first course was laid out, each man receiving a small platter of assorted sweetmeats and other appetizers. Socra had requested sushi rolls in the Terran style, and had informed the chefs of his dinner guest. Before Thrawn would be assorted tidbits, and a small section of the silver plate was devoted to cuisine from Csilla, prepared by a Chiss chef transported a narrow sliver of time before the O.V. forces had blockaded the planet.

A bottle of wine sat in a silver tub on a stand next to the table. The serving 'droid unstoppered it and poured two glasses full of the light white wine. "Coruscanti Vineyards, '32 Niagra. Bottled just after the battle of Yavin... a battle which rumors say you predicted and tried to warn Emperor Palpatine of when he told you of the Death Star's construction." Socra took a sip and closed his eyes, leaning back in his chair.

"I ask your forgiveness, Grand Admiral Thrawn - your career is shrouded in secrecy and locked away in secure files I am only beginning to have access to. Most of what I know of your career is through hearsay."

'Tis I says:

Last edited by Socra Testudinata on Sat, November 25th 2006 12:42am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Thrawn
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Sun, November 26th 2006 03:41pm    Post subject:

Sitting comfortably in his chair, Thrawn casually lifted the glass of wine, swirled it poetically, and took in a small breath of the sweet smell. Indeed it was good wine, indicative of Coruscant beyond measure. "An excellent choice, Grand Marshal. You seem to be of the more cultured persuasion than what your dossier describes."

Certainly Thrawn was delighted with the set up. An elegant painting for him to analyze, the selection of dishes from Csilla, and the seemingly perfect organization of the evening told Thrawn of a deeper purpose to the meeting. On the surface, it did seem as if the Grand Marshal was simply interested in enjoying conversation with Thrawn, but the Chiss knew better. "You'll have to excuse my rather forward tone, Grand Marshal, but would you please get on to what you called me here for?"

He set the glass down and cast his red eyes across the table to the seated Grand Marshal. There was no intent of intimidation, just curiosity. Thrawn simply wanted to know why the man had gone through such fuss to ensure the Grand Admiral's comfort if he truly wanted to share the evening.
 Back to top »
Socra Testudinata
Private First Class

Post Posted: Sun, November 26th 2006 11:33pm    Post subject:

Socra smiled as he took a sip of the wine, then set the glass aside. He made a subtle hand motion, and a serving 'droid came up with a small plate, laid over with assorted Noghri delicasies and tidbits, which were presented to Rukh. Socra watched the bodyguard's reaction a moment, then turned to Thrawn once again.

"If there is one thing I appreciate, Grand Admiral, it is a man that doesn't mince words. Very well then." Socra turned and slid a datachip from his pocket into a palm reader on the table, and the north wall, behind Socra's head, lit up with a schematic diagram.

"The point is this. I have comissioned a fleet under the command of the Starfighter corps, to be used in various defensive maneuvers and for transfering planetary garrisons to and from their respective posts. My request for your presence has not to do with command of this fleet, however... as a matter of fact, I had expected you to be a guest of honor to this operation. A tribute to your style, a show performed for an especially... appreciative eye."

The 'droid brought in the main courses of the meal: For Socra, it was a perfectly prepared red meat in an herbed sauce, with asparagus and accented with a light glaze. For Thrawn, it was a dish entirely unfamilar to the Grand Marshal's eyes, but among the most prized of edibles to be found on Csilla. No expense had been spared for this eve, just as no expense was to be spared for this upcoming mission.

He lifted his wine glass, looking directly into Thrawn's eyes. "To history. May we never forget what brought us to the present, and may we look to the past for inspiration for the future."

'Tis I says:
 Back to top »
Thrawn
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Sun, November 26th 2006 11:43pm    Post subject:

There was no mistake of the small smirk which perused Thrawn's lips. Indeed he was right. The Grand Marshal had called him there for something more than an enjoyable evening. And it tickled him to see to what extent the Grand Marshal was to invite him to be present for the operation. "I accept the invitation, Grand Marshal," he nodded and held his glass up.

His white glove cast small reflection along the rim of the glass. The smell of Chiss delicacies on his plate wafted into his nose. He had to admit that it was a kind show of respect on the part of Marshal Testudinata. Thrawn returned the toast and took a sip from his glass. "I'm looking forward to it."
 Back to top »
Socra Testudinata
Private First Class

Post Posted: Tue, November 28th 2006 12:08am    Post subject:

Socra took another sip from his glass and set it aside, then picked up a razor-sharp knife and slowly cut a thin sliver of the meat. Stabbing it with his fork, he pulled the bite and chewed slowly, considering as he savored the rich flavor. After a moment he swallowed and took another sip of the wine, before leaning back.

"Amazing how things have changed and history has come back to itself, no? There was a time of peace, then war erupted because of a conflict of interest. Then we had peace again, then another war due to yet another conflict of interest. This past couple of years, we once again stabilized the galaxy until someone got a bug up their ass and threw us into conflict once again."

The Grand Marshal let a smile come to his lips as he took a bite of the asparagus, letting the crisp and earthy flavor mingle with the red meat. He looked towards Thrawn for his perspective on the situation, his eye stealing once more to Rukh. The Noghri seemed tense, even as he slowly sampled from the platter set for him.

'Tis I says:
 Back to top »
Thrawn
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Tue, December 05th 2006 11:24am    Post subject:

[The whole no deletion of posts thing is tarded. I hate ugly posts like the one above mine. The one that's just an OOC note. Can we get rid of it please? Domo!]

Thrawn's cool gazed wafted down to Testudinata. The man had a contempt for conflict? In this era? It was almost laughable by standards. And yet, Thrawn couldn't help but sense that the man was right. Putting his personal motivations aside, Thrawn had looked at the ongoing, albeit slow, war between the Empire and Rebellion. There was a sense of loss beyond the mortal. Why were they fighting anymore? Who fired the first shot? Would it end?

Of course, the Chiss knew the answer to the question. Rather egocentric of Thrawn, though that being his inner voice, Thrawn knew that as long as he existed in the Empire, he would fight the Rebellion for all it was worth. There was no other acceptable outcome other than total destruction.

"Your view of the conflict is interesting, Grand Marshal," he replied. The sounds of Rukh finishing his meal echoed in the uncomfortable silence of the evening. "However, I will remind you who our singular enemy is. There is no point to conflict between the Galactic Empire and any other entity outside of the Rebellion. They, Grand Marshal, are the only threat posed to our alignment. Anyone else is just dirt to be swept under the rug."

The Grand Admiral paused a moment to take a deep sip of the wine. The sharpness of age tinged his tounge and cleansed his palate. "No, the Rebellion is an infestation of insects deemed ready for extermination. It's the only puzzle worth solving, Grand Marshal. The complete, total, and utter destruction of the Rebellion."

Last edited by Thrawn on Tue, December 05th 2006 11:25am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Socra Testudinata
Private First Class

Post Posted: Tue, December 05th 2006 11:42am    Post subject:

Socra finished his meal at about the same time, taking another glass of the white wine. He took a sip and let the flavor clear his mouth before speaking again, metting the Grand Admiral's eyes once more. His voice was somber, though without a trace of regret, and as he spoke, he could not help but feel the satisfaction of knowing he made the right choice.

"As always you are right, Grand Admiral. Any other systems that would think to resist us will fall into line with the destruction of the Rebellion. Personally, I believe that each and every one of them deserves a slow death for creating unnecessary casualties during the last Civil War. Compliance may not have been their first choice, but given they not only gave their lives, but the lives of those unwilling to fight is contemptable at best, and a war crime at worst."

Socra flicked a switch near his seat, and the schematics vanished, to be replaced with the painting and the smooth natural lighting. Another smile pursed his lips as he brought out a a package as long as his arm, and as wide as his forearm. he set the box, unadorned but for the seal of the Empire on its face, on the table before Thrawn as his plate was taken.

"Desert will be out soon, Grand Admiral, but before it slips my mind, a certain General-Admiral bade me return this to you. He and I spoke before he was dispatched to Thyferra, and he expressed his regret at not being able to be present."

The box would be heavy for its size, containing something that had formerly belonged to Thrawn and, finally, would be replaced where it belonged. Even as the Grand Admiral would remove the cover, Socra took another sip of wine. He waited for the reaction when Thrawn saw what was finally within, eager to get his own analysis of the man before him.

'Tis I says:
 Back to top »
Thrawn
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Tue, December 05th 2006 11:53am    Post subject:

A faceplate. An intricate, yet simple in style faceplate showing years of tarnish, nicks, and bumps. General Grievous' very own. Needless to say, it left Thrawn uncharacteristically at a loss for words. He had pondered the fate of the artifact for some time. And there is was, before him in a very plain, unassuming box.

A smile crept across his lips.

"A very fine gesture, Grand Marshal. Please pass my regards to General-Admiral Cartos," he finally spoke, carefully stroking his gloved fingers across the surface of the faceplate. "Do you understand the significance of this delicate facade, Grand Marshal?"

It was a chance for him to prove himself once more. There in front of Testudinata, Thrawn would demonstrate his keen understanding for artwork of any kind. It was that same understanding which lead him to victory after victory in the Unknown Regions and propelled him to Emperor Palpatine's side. Perhaps he could teach the man something in the process.
 Back to top »
Socra Testudinata
Private First Class

Post Posted: Tue, December 05th 2006 12:13pm    Post subject:

Cartos watched the Grand Admiral's eyes in silence. The faceplate was an artifact and a relic best placed in a museum, but somehow it looked... right, in the company of Thrawn. But Socra was no art expert, and frequently conceded the point whenever he was asked to appear at a random show. He shruged offhandedly, setting the wineglass aside.

"All I know of it, Grand Admiral, was that it was designed at the behest of the former cyborg General to match his own history, as was the choice of his 'droid bodyguards. Though the late General Kenobi destroyed him, the body was later used for a fully cybernetic reincarnation."

Eyes meeting Thrawn's again, all trace of any apprehension and any semblance of fear long since gone. "The only significance I can see is in the posession, and somehow a gesture of dominance over anything that would be set before us, even if it is through archaic religions that we must defeat them."

Socra leaned forward slightly, back bowing slightly to not show the Grand Admiral that he was, indeed, on the edge of his seat... the rumormongers of the Imperial Navy had supplied the Grand Marshal with no shortage of hearsay and gossip... and this was his opportunity to find out for himself the truth...

"Please, Grand Admiral... enlighten me."

'Tis I says:
 Back to top »
Thrawn
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Tue, December 05th 2006 04:44pm    Post subject:

Perhaps the Grand Marshal was more in tuned to finer points of life than he had originally surmised. Whatever the case, Thrawn would have loved nothing more than to explain the deeper workings of artwork with a colleague. Especially one so gifted for entertainment.

Thrawn's white-gloved finger slid across the faceplate, looping around the orbit of the left eye. His glowing eyes closed for a moment and his head tilted ever so slightly back. He was thinking deeply, remembering everything he had learned from his first encounter with the artifact.

"General Grievous," he said coldly, "was certainly a man to be feared. But not for his actions. With such time going into the appearance of his encasement, it isn't surprising that the average being cannot fully grasp the sophistication or subtlety of its design. He was conceited, brash, manipulative, forceful, but most interestingly, afraid of losing."

He paused to open his eyes for a moment.

"The ghostly expression and formless emotion framed on this delicate material has haunted the minds of many people. And continues to do so today, Grand Marshal. And why? After all, it is just a faceplate for armor. But it frightens so easily as a horror-vid or novel might."

There was another pause as Thrawn stood up from his chair, lifted the faceplate out of the box, and walked down a portion of the length of the table. His eyes closed again to reveal his trance-like state as he tilted his head back once more.

"Everything about this faceplate suggests to me that General Grievous, may his service to the Empire be seen as nothing short of legendary, was a man so concerned with his own faults and shortcomings that he needed something more prominent and forward than just policy. In essence, this simple and refined work of art was a mask. A mask which General Grievous used to cover up his faltering self-confidence. The General wasn't who everyone had thought him to be. And it was written all over his face."

Last edited by Thrawn on Tue, December 05th 2006 06:32pm; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top »
Socra Testudinata
Private First Class

Post Posted: Tue, December 05th 2006 10:32pm    Post subject:

Socra rose as the Grand Admiral finished speaking, his eyes still beholding the same mask, but perhaps... with a newfound appreciation for the subtle nuance of things beyond his grasp. The Grand Marshal looked into Thrawn's eyes, locking with the almost trance-like gaze before bowing his head.

"The rumors speak true... you are as they say. A man of singular insight... and of singular power. I had hoped these whispers were true, even though they were all but confirmed by Admiral Cartos, but never have I seen someone take so much from..." his words trailed off as he gestured to the duranium plate, some of the scortching still evident against the eye sockets. Socra smiled slightly, though his hands trembled as he clasped them behind his back.

"We have need of these talents of yours, Grand Admiral... as we speak, five paintings are being transfered to the Executor Dreadnought Chimaera II, which I have been told is to become your command ship."

He paused a moment, a question forming in his mind. Should he wait for High Command to inform him, or should he tell the Admiral himself? Yet even as the question formulated, the answer resolved itself, for the Grand Admiral was singular in his perception not only of art but of sentient nature.

"I have also seen, through my perusal of personel files... that General-Admiral Cartos has requested reassignment. As soon as his duties at Thyferra are complete... he has issued a specific request trancending Grand Admirals Zend and Treshan and went straight to the Supreme Moff, to be placed back under your command..."

He waited again, to see how the Grand Admiral would receive this news. This had been a momentous day not only for the Imperial war machine, but for the Grand Admiral himself... being asked on a new assignment, receiving an artifact long thought lost, and learning that his former executive officer may once again serve him... it would make a lesser man loose his footing.

'Tis I says:
 Back to top »
Thrawn
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Tue, December 05th 2006 10:47pm    Post subject:

"I've read those very same reports, Grand Marshal," he monotoned, waving a hand coolly at him. "But I thank you, nonetheless, for sharing your insights." Indeed, Thrawn previously knew of his acquisition of a new flagship as well as General-Admiral Cartos' request to be reassigned under him. It was, of course, welcome news regardless. Cartos was a great leader and one which Thrawn would appreciate serving under him.

He clasped his hands behind the small of his back in roughly the same manner as all Imperials did. There was a different vibration in the air. It felt like the old days, the very first of Thrawn's service to Emperor Palpatine. He was left with a feeling of nostalgia as he walked towards the Grand Marshal and extended his hand. "It has been a pleasure, Grand Marshal Testudinata. Perhaps in the future, we could do this again on my account?"

Rukh had already taken position behind and slightly to the side of Thrawn. It was his ceremonial place where he could observe everything around the Grand Admiral in quiet omniscience.

The Grand Admiral had decided to skip desert, preferring to finish his transition to the Chimaera II before the end of the night. The construction of his personal command room would be nearing completion any minute as well as the transfer of his collection of art. A collection, he prided, which would be one number larger.
 Back to top »
Ferdinand Cartos
Private First Class

Post Posted: Sun, January 14th 2007 07:34pm    Post subject:

The Potestatem exited hyperspace on schedule, entering the military sector of Coruscant's air traffic control. The ship, bearing various scorch marks and scratches that gave testament to its longevity in the Imperial Navy, settled into a standard orbit to the side, far away from the rest of the ships.

The crew bustled with activity, packing and retreiving mementos of their long posting aboard the Gauntlet-class vessel. There were hushed whispers, casual conversation, even loud laughter as stories were exchanged, and as the crew said farewell to the ship. The mood was jovial, though, as the Chimaera II was visible just off the starboard bow, their new assignment... their new home.

On the bridge, Ferdinand Cartos stood alone and silent, running his fingers over the burnished metal surfaces, worm smooth by so few hands over such a long time that if he looked closely, he might be able to pick out the ridges of the fingerprints of his communications officer, one of only two people ever to man the terminal for more than brief moments. So many memories, the General-Admiral thought as he sat in his command chair for the final time.

One by one, he issued the clearances for takeoff, watching as small groups of his crew transfered to the Dreadnought on the horizon. He watched the transponder signatures slowly receded, a handful of shuttles then a cargo transport bearing Cartos' personal effects, among them select works of art and datapads of music collected through his years of exploration. The ship was all but a bare hull, operable but far from homely. A new crew would be able to customize it well.

"Systems confirmation code Cartos four-one-three, initialize protocol Omega-1...

A half-hour later, Cartos boarded the last shuttle on the ship, the fighters transfered to the Executor and all remaining crew already aboard the ship. He took the helm himself, looking inside the hangar bay one final time. A wistful smile came to his lips as he initialized launch prodecues, then exited the hangar, pausing only to reinforce the rear shields.

He didn't look back, gliding slowly through the space between, only deigning to notice the sudden fireball of white, yellow, and red. The klaxons of incoming debris rang as sweet music to his ears as the shuttle shook from the shock wave. Coruscant's point-air defense would take care of the larger pieces, atmospheric burnoff eliminating the smaller chunks of molten metal flash-cooled in the vacuum of space. The Starfighter Corps air-defense networks began screaming with emergency scramble codes, only to be dismissed as confirmation was sent by the destroyed ship's final transmission datapackets. There were no saboteurs, no terrorists.

Everything with a purpose.

A slow shiver passed down his spine. Twenty-five years of service, countless missions and innumerable success, and it was reduced to nothing in an instant. The past, however, was the past. There was no use looking back on it, save to remember the mistakes made then. There was only serenity in that shuttle, peace before the coming storm. Only one thought passed through General-Admiral Ferdinand Cartos's mind as he sent clearance codes to the Chimaera II.

The Potestatem would never sail under another's hand. Never.

"Your intentions, whatever they may be, are irrelevant. The only things that matters is what you did, and what I am going to do to you because of it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alex - "What are you doing?" "Getting ready to nuke the planet." says:
I have you outnumbered and outgunned 2 to 1, so please go easy on me

Sōsuke [Aizen] says:
"Good evening. This is an Imperial experiment to determine exactly how many turbolaser blasts it takes to completely liquify a planet." *FIRE* "One..."
Supreme Moff Ams Jendob says:
"How many shots does it take to get to the mantle underlayer of a planet, Admiral Cartos?"
"Well, Billy, let's see..."

Last edited by Ferdinand Cartos on Sun, January 14th 2007 07:35pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Coruscant » Coruscant Air Defense
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: