}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
A Beaten Horse
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Announcements » A Beaten Horse
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyrus Bounto
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Fri, January 19th 2007 03:09pm    Post subject: A Beaten Horse

People are fighting who shouldn't be fighting. People are saying things they shouldn't be saying. And actions are taking place which shouldn't be. What does that mean? It means that we're once again faced with a community-wide epidemic of frustration.

There can only be so many speeches, reports, warnings, proclamations, and pomp and circumstance before something has to give. And VIII, as a community, has failed to budge and inch.

You might recall Jax's lengthy journal about his perspective of the game's progress. His outlook was positive, hopeful that things could/would change and the community could go back to the days of old where it was fun to be around the forums.

Alas, you might have noticed, his outlook was hopeful at best. There has been no change. Surely people have posted more and the "plot" has moved forward, but that's generally it. There's still the bickering, out-of-character raucous there always has been.

Why?

Here's my theory. This community is populated by a group of people, children if you will, who believe that life is about winning a game. And not just any game. A game where cooperation and imagination is key. Cooperation? Failed. Imagination? That can be argued. So what's missing is any real feeling for what this "AU roleplaying experience" is supposed to be about.

I offer a challenge to Ams, Cray and Han. Turn things around. Grab the leash, stop hiding behind aways and busies and slap a purpose on this game. Is it about the players? The characters? The ships? The money? What is the focus or motivation behind this experience? It's time for CMAC to be held accountable for the status of this game. Afterall, there is responsibility with privilege, although from personal experience, I don't really see any privilege that comes with running one of these things.

And I also offer a challenge to the players. Us measly members who squabble and pick at each other over petty things like "he slapped my cheek when I said he couldn't" or "where's my money?" It's time we realize what we're doing here and what we expect out of the game. Set some standards for yourself and the CMAC. Do you really want to be here? Or are you doing this because it makes you feel better about yourself when you "pwnzor the n00bs?" Really think about why you're here and what you want out of the promised experience.

There it is. A James-like rant and rave of epic and intriguing proportions. I hope that you can take it for what it's worth and not turn this into another debate over "he took my cookie, she hit my bell, I want, I want, I want." If I see anything remotely resembling a discussion about other people, I will have lost complete faith.

Here's to hoping for no more numbered pages of yellow raves.

- James
Private First Class

Post Posted: Fri, January 19th 2007 05:01pm    Post subject:

Amen Brother!

Don't mess with a merc.

Personal funds: 39,275 credits

Last edited by Tyro on Fri, January 19th 2007 05:02pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Volytar
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, January 19th 2007 06:16pm    Post subject:

What exactly are you trying to establish here Cyrus - are you saying that we should not dissagree OOC or are you saying that we should not get caught up over rules? I'm not quite sure from were I'm sitting you claim that there are standards that need to be met but never define those standards - please clarify?
 Back to top »
Gavin Onasi
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Fri, January 19th 2007 06:24pm    Post subject:

Well I have been caught up over the same rule for a long time now..... I want my damn Commonwealth back :?

credits: 34,976,000,000 credits

"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
-Ganner Rhysode
 Back to top »
Han Solo
CMAC Artist

Post Posted: Fri, January 19th 2007 08:09pm    Post subject:

Gavin Onasi wrote:
Well I have been caught up over the same rule for a long time now..... I want my damn Commonwealth back :?

That's not a rule. It's what we established within the Alliance and you agreed to it when you joined us. It has nothing to do with the game as a whole.

Quote:
I offer a challenge to Ams, Cray and Han. Turn things around. Grab the leash, stop hiding behind aways and busies and slap a purpose on this game.

I have to say, I NEVER hide behind aways and busies. I am always here online and willing to help someone out. Now, I can't say the same for the others(and I won't go into it), but that's how I operate. There is also a line where we can moderate and turn things around. Half of the stuff that transpired over the past few days was fueled over MSN. We can't moderate that. However, the stuff that is going down on the forums IS being discussed and we're doing our best to sort it out. We're not miracle workers and we can't turn heated enemies into best friends(that was the catalyst of the arguments you see on the boards) and we're doing our best to solve the problem regardless.

"You know, if you could apply that smuggler's brain to real politics, you'd be my equal."
"Meaning I wouldn't be able to just draw my blaster and shoot the politicians? What kind of a deal is that?"

---Leia and Han

Last edited by Han Solo on Fri, January 19th 2007 08:10pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, January 19th 2007 08:45pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I offer a challenge to Ams, Cray and Han. Turn things around. Grab the leash, stop hiding behind aways and busies and slap a purpose on this game. Is it about the players? The characters? The ships? The money? What is the focus or motivation behind this experience? It's time for CMAC to be held accountable for the status of this game. Afterall, there is responsibility with privilege, although from personal experience, I don't really see any privilege that comes with running one of these things.

It's about the characters, not the power, the glory, or who's the big shot of the universe. It's not about whose personal army is biggest, or who controls the most characters and thinks they're gonna take over the Galaxy.

And to be plain, that needs to click in people's heads.

Quote:
What exactly are you trying to establish here Cyrus - are you saying that we should not dissagree OOC or are you saying that we should not get caught up over rules? I'm not quite sure from were I'm sitting you claim that there are standards that need to be met but never define those standards - please clarify?

Rules are to be obeyed, or they wouldn't exist. Paramount among them is respecting your fellow forummers. As I said in my thread, I was thoroughly disgusted the other day, and quite frankly, there will be reprecussions because of it.

Oh, and guys... stop sending crossover designs and stuff. I'll be the first to admit to being the greatest violator, but it's gotten way out of hand across the board (literally) and we're clamping down.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tiara Tranada
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Fri, January 19th 2007 08:54pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Grab the leash, stop hiding behind aways and busies and slap a purpose on this game

We got a translation for what Away and Busy means to them a while back.

Busy means they're doing stuff but are still willing to answer any questions as long as they're not stupid or ill-conceived ones. (I added the last bit)

Away means either not present :P or that they're really busy and don't want to be disturbed.

That said I always get a reply from all three when I ask a question on MSN (with the exception of when away really does mean they're not here :P)

And the purpose of the game bit has been mentioned before too.

It isn't up to the mods to decide what people should do. Everyone here has been RPing long enough to know what is acceptable and what isn't and everyone here is capable of giving their characters their own plots and their own agendas. If your superior officer isn't active at the moment, send yourself on a mission.

No matter where you are, there are always things for a character to do, whether they be sorting out domestic disputes or infiltrating terrorist cells for the people on the right side of the law or smuggling weapons and other things past NPC governments or taking bounties on the other side of things.

This game is about using your imagination, so why is that not applied when thinking up things for your character to do?

Colonel Tiara Tranada
Agent Stentax 666

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Fri, January 19th 2007 09:00pm    Post subject:

However, when using your imagination, use the libertarian philosophy: do as thou wilt as long as it hurts no one. I.e. if you want to go around and spark revolts or heckle a faction with other people in it, don't be surprised if you suddenly find yourself on the wrong end of a gun. On the flipside, you also cannot waltz past local defenses because you are so perfect and skilled or you sliced them with an unstoppable droid or computer or you have perfect, indestructible soldiers that will wade through the enemy, reach down their throats, and rip their hearts out.

In other words... play fair, and play nice. Can't do it? Then maybe you should consider playing elsewhere, at least for a little while.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Trassk
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, January 19th 2007 09:01pm    Post subject:

I have more luck with the imaginative bit when I'm playing as Kir or 307, since they are isolated most of the time. Don't know why...
-1,165,126 Per Week

"If Godzilla had a gun..."
–Jase Denora

"THE SHARK'S NOT WORKING!"
-Random person working on JAWS

"Beavers and ducks!"
-Some guy on BANDITS.

"I should face my fears by leaping off a roof?"
-Jace

One Trandoshan's a problem. Two is a fight. Three is suicide.
 Back to top »
Gavin Onasi
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 12:12am    Post subject:

Quote:
That's not a rule. It's what we established within the Alliance and you agreed to it when you joined us. It has nothing to do with the game as a whole.

I was FORCED to join the Alliance by the rule you made up right after I created it saying new factions had 2 weeks to get a second member or they would be disbanded.

"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
-Ganner Rhysode
 Back to top »
Han Solo
CMAC Artist

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 12:41am    Post subject:

Gavin Onasi wrote:
Quote:

I was FORCED to join the Alliance by the rule you made up right after I created it saying new factions had 2 weeks to get a second member or they would be disbanded.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but that rule was not made up because you decided to join the Alliance. And no, you were not forced. I distinctly remember the conversation we held on MSN where I offered you a job, a rank and a sum of money which met your needs. You wanted to join the Alliance because you expressed how running your own faction wasn't working out and you wanted to be involved elsewhere. And I offered you the choice of joining which you jumped on. Don't go putting the blame on us and making us out to be the evil tyrants who twisted your wrist so we can steal your planets. It all goes back to your initial decision.

Now, enough of the squabbling on this subject and let's get this thread back on topic.

"You know, if you could apply that smuggler's brain to real politics, you'd be my equal."
"Meaning I wouldn't be able to just draw my blaster and shoot the politicians? What kind of a deal is that?"

---Leia and Han
 Back to top »
Gavin Onasi
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 10:48am    Post subject:

No no noi no no.... I was forced into a faction by this rule:

Quote:
There's a new rule that has just been made to deal with the huge excess of factions we have. It applies to current factions, and also to any factions created in the future. All factions must now have more than one user member. It is insane for someone to enter the RPG, create a faction, and do nothing for the rest of the time except make things more complicated.

If you never had more than one member in your faction, you must get more. For existing factions, you have three weeks (January 9th) to either gain an additional user member or to merge with another faction.

For new factions, the same rules apply; three weeks after faction creation, you must have more than one member or you must merge with another faction.

Please don't feel like this is the CMAC infringing on the smaller factions, because it's not. It's merely to improve the RPing experience and have more members in the factions that already exist, rather than spreading them out over tons of factions.

Thanks.

I choose the Alliance over the Empire, I had a choice of joining the many factions of VII and the Alliance was my choice, but I wil still forced into a faction.

-Ganner Rhysode
 Back to top »
Cyrus Bounto
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 11:09am    Post subject:

Here's an example of another debate over pointless garbage. See what I mean now, everyone?

Gavin. You were not forced into the faction. The rules simply state that if you wanted your minor faction to continue to exist beyond the deadline for having multiple people in it, you would have to merge it with another faction.

In other words, you could have dissolved your minor faction which no one was a member of and stayed away from the Alliance.

No one forced you to do anything. You made your own decision.
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 11:16am    Post subject:

It means I was forced to merge with another faction lest my commonwealth be destroyed. :roll: THe rule was bullshit and I havent seen it enforced on anyone else (I can remember a faction haveing 1 member for a while, but it wasn't dissolved?... dont ask me which one at this point)

My 2 choices from this rule were bad and worse..... join another faction = bad. just dissolving my faction all together = worse. And I dont know about you, but I didnt feel like wasing hours of wookieepedia searching trying to find planets no one else has taken. Almost all of the good planet's were taken but i still managed to find planets worth a total of 11.8 billion a week.

-Ganner Rhysode

Last edited by Han Solo on Sat, January 20th 2007 11:23pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Kalydon Skirata
Aedile

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 11:16am    Post subject:

Indeed my psychotic, dinner crazy friend, and to add onto your point:

Gavin had three weeks to find another player, three weeks is an awfully long time. I know that if I had a faction in danger of being dissolved, I would go to great lengths to keep it alive (not saying he didn't), and I would nag on people to sign up or at least try to convince them to.

In short Gavin, CMAC gave you a chance to do what you needed to do to keep your Commonwealth, you were unable to do so, and there you go.

Field Marshall Kalydon Skirata
Commander of Stormtrooper Spec Ops and of Strike Force Omega

Forum Rules, Code of Conduct, and Technical FAQ

Xbox Live Gamercard
Expand

Adam Sessler calls out the Halo Haters
Expand
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gavin Onasi
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 11:25am    Post subject:

Kalydon Skirata wrote:
Indeed my psychotic, dinner crazy friend, and to add onto your point:

Gavin had three weeks to find another player, three weeks is an awfully long time. I know that if I had a faction in danger of being dissolved, I would go to great lengths to keep it alive (not saying he didn't), and I would nag on people to sign up or at least try to convince them to.

In short Gavin, CMAC gave you a chance to do what you needed to do to keep your Commonwealth, you were unable to do so, and there you go.

I pmed like 10 to 15 players, I talked to others on MSN (on and off the RPG) I went to far as to ask Zekk to joiin the faction, they all said no. Three weeks is not a long time considering how many player join per week.... which is usually less then 1 a week on average. This was also at a point when there was only people allowed in 1 faction so all of the players were inother factions, so why would they leave them for my faction? Not to mention everyone wanted Jedi, and they were like OMGGGZZZZZ TEH EMPIRE!!! ALLIANCEE PWNNNAGEEEEE

-Ganner Rhysode
 Back to top »
Cyrus Bounto
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 11:26am    Post subject:

Thanks for the name-calling, Gavin. Much appreciated.

And my point still stands that you, and only you, chose to merge with the Alliance. No one said you had to. In this case, you wanted to keep your precious Commonwealth and merge. Your choice. No one else's.

Try and be a little more respectful next time. It will get you farther.

Strike one, VIII.
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 11:30am    Post subject:

HS EDIT: That's quite enough, Onasi. That last comment was uncalled for and you've just earned yourself an official warning. Do it again and it's a ban. We don't tolerate flames.

-Ganner Rhysode

Last edited by Han Solo on Sat, January 20th 2007 11:35pm; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top »
Trassk
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 11:37am    Post subject:

Quote:
especially when one of my friends is in the hospital ready to die.

I'm really sorry to hear that, but that's Cyrus' fault because...?

Show him the post where anyone in CMAC said: ZOMG U MUST JOIN TEH ALLIANCE!!!11!!

And stop the namecalling. It's not getting you where you want. Quite the opposite.
-1,165,126 Per Week

"If Godzilla had a gun..."
–Jase Denora

"THE SHARK'S NOT WORKING!"
-Random person working on JAWS

"Beavers and ducks!"
-Some guy on BANDITS.

"I should face my fears by leaping off a roof?"
-Jace

One Trandoshan's a problem. Two is a fight. Three is suicide.

Last edited by Han Solo on Sat, January 20th 2007 11:26pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Kalydon Skirata
Aedile

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 11:37am    Post subject:

Mr. Onasi, that's enough with the insults.

Tell you what, I'm feeling merciful today, one more outburst like that and you will find yourself in a most uncomfortable position.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend but that's no excuse for taking it out on other people. If you're really that distressed, the Logout button is at the top of the screen. Get off the computer and go spend time with that friend of yours.

Xbox Live Gamercard
Expand

Expand
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gavin Onasi
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 11:50am    Post subject:

Quote:
Show him the post where anyone in CMAC said: ZOMG U MUST JOIN TEH ALLIANCE!!!11!!

If you didn't notice....
Quote:
Anyways; I did choose to join the alliance
then I went on my rant

Quote:
Wow. Shows your IQ level

Im quite proud of my 144 IQ level

Quote:
Tell you what, I'm feeling merciful today, one more outburst like that and you will find yourself in a most uncomfortable position

Thank the gods your being merciful......TBH there is no "uncomfortable" position left, the worse you can do is bann me.....

Quote:
Get off the computer and go spend time with that friend of yours.

Two problems: 1- Im not family so I can't see him at this point, (and me and my friends tried once) 2- He was airlifted to a hospital hours away

-Ganner Rhysode
 Back to top »
Natalie Pearson
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 11:52am    Post subject:

1) I work in a hospital and trust me when I say that there is always someone around who is sympathetic and will turn a blind eye to your presence.

2) So break the law, it ain't that hard. Use your imagination. The cops are usually pretty lenient in cases such as this...

Superior Moff Natalie Pearson
PalpySlut Second Class

"... it's "Voila," you inbred piece of --hey look, a butterfly... " - Rory
 Back to top »
Gavin Onasi
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 11:54am    Post subject:

We tried last night....

-Ganner Rhysode
 Back to top »
Kalydon Skirata
Aedile

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 11:58am    Post subject:

Gavin Onasi wrote:

Quote:
Tell you what, I'm feeling merciful today, one more outburst like that and you will find yourself in a most uncomfortable position

Thank the gods your being merciful......TBH there is no "uncomfortable" position left, the worse you can do is bann me.....

*I* won't ban you, you're actions however may force the administration to do otherwise.
I was merely referring to burning your worlds, pillaging your bases and cities, and generally spreading chaos and despair.:p

Gavin Onasi wrote:

Quote:
Get off the computer and go spend time with that friend of yours.

Two problems: 1- Im not family so I can't see him at this point, (and me and my friends tried once) 2- He was airlifted to a hospital hours away

Understandable, I was once in your exact position so I believe I have a fair idea of what you're going through.
Still, you have shown to be rather pissed off, perhaps you should log off for now and give yourself time to cool off?

Xbox Live Gamercard
Expand

Expand
 Back to top »
Gavin Onasi
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Sat, January 20th 2007 12:01pm    Post subject:

Quote:
*I* won't ban you, you're actions however may force the administration to do otherwise.
I was merely referring to burning your worlds, pillaging your bases and cities, and generally spreading chaos and despair.

Ohh Noes!!! MY cities :P Ohh wait, I live next to a little bar by the sea hahah

Quote:
Still, you have shown to be rather pissed off, perhaps you should log off for now and give yourself time to cool off?

Its probably a mixture of frustration and me being genuinely pissed about the Commonwealth. But yeah, I think IM going to shower and write an essay (as my English teeacher will want it done no matter what)

-Ganner Rhysode
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Announcements » A Beaten Horse
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: