}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Force Powers and Abilities
Goto page 1, 2  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » Force Powers and Abilities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cilghal

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 08:01pm    Post subject: Force Powers and Abilities

I saw this on a another board that I use to roleplay on. (Close down last summer) That they had force powers and abilities, letting Jedi or Sith characters specializing on one, and their is a master of that order that can teach the lower characters how to do those techniques.

Like lets say, Luke Skywalker is the Master Teacher of Lightsabers and my character is master of healing or force usage then a character that wants to specialize in the role would come to one of them to learn.

It doesnt have to be level based but just a Rank Base. Other then recieving that ability instant it would take a few post or many depending on how powerful it is.

But I gotta say this board is alot of fun, and I like the Military features that comes along with it.

Cheers,
Ryan
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 08:47pm    Post subject:

Actually, that's what we're working on. But thank you for the suggestion. :)

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jace911
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 08:51pm    Post subject:

Ooh! Ooh! Me want! :P

"Screw Lucas." - Moff, avid Star wars fanboy

Attack of the Clones, as summarized by Alexus.

Expand
 Back to top »
Cilghal

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 08:56pm    Post subject: Thats awesome

Well if you guys need any help on gathering spells or abilities just message me. I'd be more then willing to help.
 Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 09:00pm    Post subject:

We're gonna stay with the level-based system, but it's going to be heavily modified. In the end, it's going to be somewhat similar to KotOR's system of Force power selection, complete with automation. :)

We are aware of the problems with the current system that it tends to group all FS into one group, so the new system will fix it. It's just a matter of getting off (or on :p) my ass and doing it.

Last edited by Nevin Antilles on Tue, January 16th 2007 09:04pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Volytar
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 09:11pm    Post subject:

But all FS's are grouped into one group in canon - we are all more than capable of using any of the Jedi powers - its simply HOW we use them that affects our ballance in the force. Surely if your concidering changing it you could just adopt the control/sense/alter method?
 Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 09:16pm    Post subject:

I don't describe to that philosophy, and plus it is also to limit the power of characters so that everyone doesn't act like a Revan. One version was going to have three separate levels, Combat, Perception and Alteration, but I scrapped it and chose to incorporate it in the new system.
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 09:21pm    Post subject:

However surely what has canonically been established is the right way to go - after all we KNOW that both light and dark Jedi are capable of using force lighting we have evidence from the books. Just like we know that Dark Jedi are capable of using the force to heal - the one power that has ever been used exclusivly by one of the two disiplins is the ability to drain life, which the Jedi wouldn't use for obvious reasons.
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 09:23pm    Post subject:

We're not saying that Dark Jedi cannot use a certain power simply because its light-side associated. Perhaps before criticism is launched, the system could be completed first?

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 09:24pm    Post subject:

Er, Light Siders WILL be able to use Lightning if their Force level allows it. :p It isn't to tell you which powers you can use - you can choose that, as long as they're within your range and current level. It would be stupid to say, though, that, say, Kyle Katarn could be as powerful as Anakin Skywalker...that's why there's a max level in our system.
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 09:28pm    Post subject:

So we will now be able to 'level-up' as it were?
 Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 09:30pm    Post subject:

You currently are able to. It's just that it doesn't really mean anything until I get the system set up. You will get points per level to spend on powers...some powers will require previous powers on their own "chain", like, say, Force Push III would require Force Push I and II.
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 09:44pm    Post subject:

But thats...skill sets....thats horrible and pen and papery, I preferred it when it was informal - what now so I wont be able to use the force to shove someone because I ran out of points to upgrade myself - points in control/sense/alter is ok, but making us buy our skills? Well then you'd have to apply it accross the board to every skill.
 Back to top »
Cyrus Bounto
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 09:46pm    Post subject:

... why is everything a debate here?

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 09:56pm    Post subject: Hm

Well lets wait for them to finish this and then we can discuss things.

I'd rather have a skill type set then just having that power and anyone can use it. But this is where creativity comes in when the Sith Lord has the same abilities and effectiveness as a Apprentice. Then it wouldn't be as fair for that Master to achieve such a powerful rank.
 Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 09:59pm    Post subject:

Well, Volytar, that's basically what it comes down to. Not everyone can be all-powerful =/

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 10:00pm    Post subject:

Agreed. :D
 Back to top »
Volytar
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 10:07pm    Post subject:

Yes but force push is not an ability on its own - all kinetic control of the force is under one heading - you can't push and not pull - this is not about beeing 'all powerful' its about beeing unneccessarily restrained. As I'm trying to say there are only really three skills within the force.

Control – this is the ability to control one’s own body using the Force. A Force-user with control can access his or her internal well of Force energy, learning harmony and control over the functions and abilities of his or her own body.

Sense – this is the Force-user’s ability to sense the Force in other things beyond his or her own body. The Force-user learns to feel the bonds that connect all living things and gains the ability to understand how all things are interconnected. Sense governs powers such as detecting danger and learning information about the world around the Force-user.

Alter – A Force-user using Alter learns how to change the distribution and nature of the Force. Force-users who are good at Alter can move physical objects with their minds, help others control their own Force, or can manipulate the Force in the bodies of others. This power can also be used to change the perceptions of others and make them come to incorrect conclusions.

Some famous Force powers are listed below, along with the Force area(s) they use. This should give a general idea of the ‘construction’ of powers.

Absorb/Dissipate Energy (Force Absorb): This is a Control power. This is what Yoda used to dissipate force lightning, and what Darth Vader used to harmlessly absorb the energy of blaster bolts into himself. Those who are particularly skilled in Control may be able to channel the energy they absorb into their own reserves of the Force, giving them additional power – though this would run out very quickly, perhaps after one or two tappings.

To heal oneself using the Force (Force Heal) is a Control power. However, if one wished to heal another with the Force, one would be combining the powers of Control and Alter. Therefore, it is possible for a character to be extremely good at healing their own wounds using the Force, but unable to heal those of another.

Force concentration, meditation, and hibernation trances also come under the heading of Control. Luke Skywalker, for example, used Force Concentration to fire the proton torpedo into the Death Star’s exhaust port by slipping into a somewhat trancelike state. Meditation in order to search for something else through the Force, however, would be a combination of Control and Sense. The use of the Force during combat (usually lightsaber duels) to sense your opponent and react yourself is a Control and Sense power.

The ability to sense Force presences of other beings, or lack of Force presence, such as in droids, is a Sense power. The ability to magnify one’s senses to see better in the dark, hear sharper, or feel far more precise senses of touch is also a Sense power. Receptive telepathy, such as mind-reading, is a Sense power. However, in order to actually project thoughts, one would have to be skilled in Alter. Hence, one would require skill in both Sense and Alter to carry out a telepathic conversation via the Force.

Powers such as Force Push and other uses of telekinesis are Alter powers. The use of the Force to move faster or jump higher, however, would be a combination of Control and Alter. The other main use of Alter, however, is destructive – any use of the Force to cause harm, such as the infamous Force Lightning, would also be considered an Alter power.

The main power that combines all three types of Force usage is the Mind Trick. This can be used in many different ways, both as persuasion (‘These aren’t the droids you’re looking for…’) and to plant false perceptions into the mind of another (Making the stormtroopers believe that they heard a sound). This power has many uses, but be warned that it often skirts close to the dark side to meddle with the mind of another.

Another power which combines all three types of Force power is Battle Meditation. The Force-user is Sensing how the battle is going, and having the minds of all those involved flowing through them. The Force-user has entered the meditative state using Control, and is Altering the minds and bodies of others to swing the battle whichever way the Force-user desires.

Even the method of this differs based on alignment, however. Light-side Battle Meditation involves inspiring one’s own side to skill and bravery through the Force, planting positive thoughts and gently helping.Dark-side Battle Meditation can involve nearly taking control of one’s own side, increasing coordination and efficiency but fundamentally removing the free will of said ‘assisted’ people. Both types of Battle Meditation can involve disorganising or planting negative thoughts in the enemy, but this is an advanced form of the skill.

And there you have it...I still have that and a working skills system left over from my old RP...
 Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 10:17pm    Post subject:

That's ok, but thanks for the offer. :)
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 10:21pm    Post subject:

Yeah I didn't really meen I wanted you to adopt my skill system - I just wanted to make the point that that is how the force actually works - you don't spend points (spend time refining) on particular skills you simply have to work withing the three diciplins - if you try and drag us down to using stats then every other RPer on the board has to have their skills governed by stats to prevent logicallities.

Instead of assigning skill levels to specific powers (although this could be done), it makes far more sense within this system to assign an ability level (as listed above) to each Force area – Control, Sense, and Alter. This will help define the Force-user’s abilities and create a far more logical manner of dealing with the Force.

For example, a character could be Skilled at Control and Alter, but only a Novice or Competent at Sense. This would mean that whilst the character was able to improve themselves and use telekinesis, as well as heal others, much of their ability to meditate and detect danger would be impaired.

Whilst some Jedi, such as Luke Skywalker and Kyle Katarn, are rounded in their abilities and are good at all three aspects of Force usage, the majority are naturally flawed in one area. Corran Horn, for example, is excellent at clouding the minds of others and absorbing or dissipating energy, but has weak physical Alter in being nearly completely unable to use telekinesis (and by extension, unable to Force Jump or use Force Speed). Bear in mind that Jedi skilled in all areas of the Force would be exceptional and rare.
 Back to top »
Cilghal

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 10:32pm    Post subject: Cool

That does sound really cool, I like that Voly.
 Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Tue, January 16th 2007 11:45pm    Post subject:

As I said, that was in my original sketch, but that also arbitrarily would make it necessary to decide what level a character has in which class, per se, which would amount to even more of CMAC dictating what a character can do or cannot do. This system is much better. You can focus on what you want to focus on. You won't be able to be equally good in all fields unless you are an extremely high level...like, above Vader-high.

Last edited by Nevin Antilles on Tue, January 16th 2007 11:45pm; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top »
Darth Vader
Sergeant

Post Posted: Wed, January 17th 2007 12:09am    Post subject:

I'm tired of your Christmas Vortigaunt.

Darth Vader, Galactic Emperor

Vader's kittens
Expand

Expand

Expand

DARTH VADER
Muahaha! Here I am! Aren't I just
generally intimidating as hell?
 Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Wed, January 17th 2007 12:18am    Post subject:

It's staying up until Han does my avatar. :p

Post Posted: Wed, January 17th 2007 12:31am    Post subject:

*shoots it. It doesn't die.*

CRAP! We're in Half-Life 2...
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » Force Powers and Abilities
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: