}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Canon character reclamation
Goto page 1, 2  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Announcements » Canon character reclamation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 12:01am    Post subject: Canon character reclamation

With just a few minutes after it being unveiled, I know a lot of you are probably outraged. So, allow me to explain.

There needs to be a method for dealing with canon characters being down-right abused by their owners. However, I also realize the current system (the one just unveiled) leaves a lot of room for abuse. While I don't think we're capable of that, I do recognize that I would have the same concerns that you do. So, there's always going to be a proceedure to follow before a character can be "auctioned off."

Except in the most extreme of godmodding cases, to initiate a process to begin a character reclamation, an admin will open a poll thread (either of his own accord or perhaps on community complaints). It'll stay open for 1 week, allwoing all users to voice their opinion on the matter. Everyone must also post in addition to voting in that thread. There could be cheating otherwise.

If there is a majority vote after 1 week, the character contest will begin. Do keep in mind that the original player is able to participate in this contest. If the player manages to capture the essence of the character, then he'll obviously keep the character. If not, the best poster would get it.

However, this is all a product of what the community thinks. CMAC will do judging, but it's you that need to pass the initial vote to start the process. During this whole procedure, respect is a key issue. You can't cuss someone out because you think they aren't doing a good job at playing a character...this includes everyone, even admins. Concerns may be voiced, but if flaming starts...

Additionally, if the owner of the character decides to give the character up for whatever reason, the contest will inititate to determine the next player.

Thread open for comments. We're willing to hear them because we know how hot of an issue this has the potential to be.

Last edited by Nevin Antilles on Fri, February 09th 2007 02:46pm; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top »
Nubis Serin
Thread Killer

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 12:26am    Post subject:

Let me preface my post by stating that what I say is in no way intended to offend, badger, upset, or humiliate anyone. They are soley my opinions and I ask that they be respected as such. You may not like or agree with what I have to say, but I am entitled to say it.

With that being said, I find the idea proposed by CMAC to be ingenius. In all roleplaying communities, whether it be Star Wars, Star Trek, anime, or what have you, there is a trend of players using canon characters in a manner which doesn't quite make sense. Many a time have I wished that the player would just come to their senses and realize that what they are doing is wrong on one very basic level.

The character is not their own.

Now I know I'm no angle and I have, at times, stepped a character out of their realm to make a point or satisfy a scenario. But my point is that when you take on a canon character, you're agreeing to the idea that you now have the responsibility of paying the character's creator a certain degree of justice. It is disgraceful is someone were to take C.S. Lewis' White Witch from Narnia and make her all sugar and smiles. It's a travesty to the character and C.S. Lewis.

Star Wars is no different. We owe it to George Lucas and the expanded universe novelists to portray their characters to the best of our ability even if it counts for nothing. Mr. Lucas doesn't read these forums (at least I don't believe he does), but it's the simple respect for the world he created that should drive a player who uses his characters.

At any rate, I'm excited to see where this can lead. If anything, these 'competitions' encourage players to really devle into the characters. It will be a treat to see what people can do with the same scenario, but different takes to the same characters.

Last edited by Nubis Serin on Wed, October 11th 2006 12:27am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Ta'Chume
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 08:54am    Post subject:

So, does all canon characters have to be put through the test, or only those which other players have a complaint against?

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 10:06am    Post subject:

Right now, just complaints.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Carlist Rieekan
Master Sergeant

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 10:37am    Post subject:

Outrageous. This leaves room for abuse in that players who want a character can just dream up phoney charges.

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 10:44am    Post subject:

We anticipated that. There are many ways to prevent fraudulent charges from being used.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gavin Onasi
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 11:06am    Post subject:

Maybe we should bring up charges against Darth Vader for not being evil enough and not following his master's path.... Or Luke for leading an organization, or Han for leading a fleet and even being CiC, he hated being a rank in the NR/RA.

My point being is, kicking people from their characters is just stupid lol

credits: 34,976,000,000 credits

"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
-Ganner Rhysode
 Back to top »
Nubis Serin
Thread Killer

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 11:12am    Post subject:

Gavin Onasi wrote:
Maybe we should bring up charges against Darth Vader for not being evil enough and not following his master's path.... Or Luke for leading an organization, or Han for leading a fleet and even being CiC, he hated being a rank in the NR/RA.

My point being is, kicking people from their characters is just stupid lol

Characters aren't reclaimed for acting in such a manner. Those are what are called character choices in acting. What does warrant a reclaimation, as I understand, is when the basic moral fiber of a character is changed. An example would be if Palpatine suddenly decided to hold elections with the possibility of losing his regime. Such a change in a character's persona doesn't make logical sense.
 Back to top »
Gavin Onasi
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 11:22am    Post subject:

Yet (no offense, just an example) Luke leaving the ways of the force/teaching the force decided to go off on his own, leave the Jedi order. Then turn around and lead a large company for a while, then turn around again and lead a whole faction.... thats way out of line for a character. Luke never wanted power, he knew what power could do to a person.

Same thing with Solo (no offense once again). Solo did not like the rank of General he was given, or the fact he was given people under his command at all, he is a rogue at heart and would rather smuggle and steal his way through life. Yet in the alliance he was the CiC.... and now a major commander in the Alliance military.

"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
-Ganner Rhysode
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 11:43am    Post subject:

If you read Han's posts, he hates the job, and resigned his CiC position. :P

Expand

Back to top »
Gavin Onasi
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 11:53am    Post subject:

yeah.... "resigned"......

and of luke?

ohh I call shananagins against Shy!!! She isnt being played by Ams well enough.... I mean... no one would have babies with that man :P :lol:
just kidding ams

-Ganner Rhysode

Last edited by Gavin Onasi on Wed, October 11th 2006 11:54am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 12:06pm    Post subject:

LOL. It doesn't extend to originals. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 12:08pm    Post subject:

Ams is a nice bloke and deserves the best. :P

As for Han Solo, she plays that character perfectly and we all know it. :twisted:

I do have to say that some canon characters are affected by the alternate timeline and thus some may actually be quite different in the change of events. Not all, but some... I believe CMAC will be able to tell ,in the future, if such a character was affected by such. Rare, but not impossible.

I am willing to give this new process a chance... for those with canon characters, it is going to be difficult, but in the end, this helps keep all of our minds in top shape.

I have nothing to really worry about, to be honest, I do not have a canon character. For those that do, I hope you understand this is for the character. You signed up and have played that character because you had the desire to play him/her/etc. I doubt CMAC would take a character away from a player if their posting quality isn't as great as someone else, its how you treat them.

Luke Skywalker..... I would suggest a poll for this character to put it bluntly and as kind as possible. I agree with Gavin Onasi, this player has abused the canon image multiple times.

In short, we can try this policy and see if it assists the RPG as a whole. Nubis had some great points, I suggest you read them carefully.

Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 12:11pm    Post subject:

Guys... this is not for commentary on who needs it done...

Expand

Back to top »
Gavin Onasi
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 12:12pm    Post subject:

Ams, nice bloke? Yeah I guess so... :P

Yeah, I was making a generalization on Han... and I was wrong.... lol

-Ganner Rhysode
 Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 12:16pm    Post subject:

Quote:
However, this is all a product of what the community thinks. CMAC will do judging, but it's you that need to pass the initial vote to start the process. During this whole procedure, respect is a key issue.

My mistake, must've misread.
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 12:40pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Yet (no offense, just an example) Luke leaving the ways of the force/teaching the force decided to go off on his own, leave the Jedi order. Then turn around and lead a large company for a while, then turn around again and lead a whole faction.... thats way out of line for a character. Luke never wanted power, he knew what power could do to a person.

If you really have an issue with him, do what I said in the post - contact CMAC and we'll see if it's warranted.

Quote:

Same thing with Solo (no offense once again). Solo did not like the rank of General he was given, or the fact he was given people under his command at all, he is a rogue at heart and would rather smuggle and steal his way through life. Yet in the alliance he was the CiC.... and now a major commander in the Alliance military.

Actually, by the end of the Trilogy, Han's character (in my opinion) fundamentally changed from smuggler to actually a nice guy. I think Han captures him perfectly.

I know it isn't the best system, guys, but there needs to be a way. Like someone said, what if Palpatine started holding free elections and basically destroyed his character? We can't just take him away, because I know that would not go over well with the player and the community...however, if half of the community is involved in reclaiming the character, I think that's more fair.

If you don't, does anyone else have recommendations for a system? We're willing to listen, as I said.

Also, for people that have willingly given up their characters (Boba Fett for example) these contests will be used regardless. A similar requirement will be for anyone that applies for a really major canon character.

Last edited by Nevin Antilles on Wed, October 11th 2006 12:41pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Han Solo
CMAC Artist

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 01:08pm    Post subject:

Gavin Onasi wrote:

As others said, if you would actually read my posts, you would see that Han resigned the position willingly because he did hate it. I went into a fair amount of detail on Corellia with that. And he's very reluctant now to be holding any kind of rank. If you look at my last post IC as Han, I go into that. It's not my fault you missed it because you haven't read my posts and that's no reason to call me out for "not playing the character correctly."

Also in the EU, Han does hold rank and command fleets. He's reluctant about it, sure, but he does it anyway. It's his duty at the time. He's committed fully to the Republic after ROTJ and leaves his life as a smuggler behind. He doesn't stay that careless smuggler the rest of his life. He changes. It's called a character arc. Read up on the character a bit.

"You know, if you could apply that smuggler's brain to real politics, you'd be my equal."
"Meaning I wouldn't be able to just draw my blaster and shoot the politicians? What kind of a deal is that?"

---Leia and Han
 Back to top »
Gavin Onasi
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 01:15pm    Post subject:

As I said, I was wrong....

-Ganner Rhysode
 Back to top »
Han Solo
CMAC Artist

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 01:16pm    Post subject:

Heh, didn't see that.

Then in that case, I apologize. But that'll be an example to all of you of my wrath. :P

"You know, if you could apply that smuggler's brain to real politics, you'd be my equal."
"Meaning I wouldn't be able to just draw my blaster and shoot the politicians? What kind of a deal is that?"

---Leia and Han
 Back to top »
Gavin Onasi
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 01:18pm    Post subject:

Its alright, I might be able to forgive you :P

-Ganner Rhysode
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 01:39pm    Post subject:

Speaking of canon... if that's how Gavin looks, shouldn't he be a little heavier by now? :p

Expand

Back to top »
Gavin Onasi
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 01:53pm    Post subject:

Nope, he has been in training over the year unlike Lee Adama... the fat lazy bastard....

-Ganner Rhysode
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 02:03pm    Post subject:

Hehehe... more cushion for the pushin', that's all. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Gavin Onasi
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Wed, October 11th 2006 02:19pm    Post subject:

Well if he didn't eat so damn much......

-Ganner Rhysode
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Announcements » Canon character reclamation
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: