}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Ideas and features for New RPG
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Announcements » Ideas and features for New RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Sun, June 14th 2009 01:05pm    Post subject: Ideas and features for New RPG

As you've (hopefully) seen in the last thread, CMAC has come up with a finalized setting and initial plot for the next RPG. If you didn't read the last threads, read this:

Quote:
The RPG will start at/around 41 ABY. Up until about 12 ABY, things will remain canon. When Admiral Daala tries to unite the Imperial warlords; however, this time, she succeeds and the Empire is able to seriously contend with the newly forming New Republic for a much longer period of time, building their strength along the way.

However, in 20 ABY, the sudden, mysterious departure of almost half the Empire's military to the Unknown Regions - including some of the most hardcore Imperials - leaves the superpower in a bad position, spread thin across many worlds. It is not long before the Empire and the Alliance enter a truce. Out of this emerges a new Empire, led by forward-minded leaders, attempting to rebuild its worlds peacefully. The reason for and location of the other Imperial forces' abandonment still remains unknown...

As time goes on, the differences between the Alliance and the Empire become narrower and narrower. In 29 ABY, the Alliance and the Empire enter in the Galactic Union, a joint government with the two factions as member states. Finally, the galaxy is united in peace and genuine friendship, divided like provinces within a single country.

In early 41 ABY, rumors start to spread of a new power arising in the Unknown Regions, spreading tendrils out into the rest of the galaxy. This is where the game starts.

Let me pause from explaining the narrative for a minute. At this point, the only two factions in the galaxy allowed will be the Empire and the Alliance. The entire galaxy is effectively united, and other factions are small or insignificant enough at this point that they'll be non-playable (unless you want to be independent). The Galactic Union is to the Empire and the Alliance as the European Union is to the countries of Europe, except even more united.

After some time has gone in in-game, the True Empire will return to the galaxy, in full force and ready to take back its rightful claims. The stress and division of loyalty between the residents of the Galactic Union will eventually tear it apart. The True Empire will also have been infiltrating the galaxy for some time, planning its return. In the midst of this chaos, this is when new factions will form from small groups of breakaway planets - and this will be the only time, excepting very special circumstances.

When the game starts, no one IC will know the True Empire is coming back, but OOC, we'll be planning for it.

Since I know someone will ask about it, the Jedi Order will be alive indeed. However, due to influence due to the union of the Empire and the Alliance, they will not be quite as pristine as their canon counterparts, and will have drifted closer to grey.

The battlesystem will be nothing like SWVIII's. There will be no assets, no fleets, no maintenance, and no specifications. All battles will be decided by RPing and common sense. The prototype template for this system was created by Zara and I on KotOR, and it is a great system filled with fun that we believe will work very well on the new game. It's kind of difficult to explain, but it is outlined very well, and numerous examples will be present when the game actually opens.

So, most of the community seemed to receive this very well. It's time to talk about some of the smaller things.

If you're skimming, start reading here

Things that are more-or-less set in stone

• RP-powered battlesystem (no dice).
  • No asset rolls or hard specifications.
  • No money.
  • The Galactic Union will fracture sometime at the beginning of the game, as will the Jedi Order at another time.
  • Faction creation only allowed at the beginning of the game, and only a small number. Prior to the splitting of the Galactic Union, your factions will be parts of the New Republic or the Empire. After the fracturing, your worlds will secede from the Union, and your factions will be created then.

Please note that these things will be easy, fun, and simple... if we all make them that way. There are not going to be any superships or near-godmods. If you make any designs, or (preferably) use existing ones, it will be specified, generally, how comparable they are to something in-universe (more on this when the forums are up). Please don't make outrageous weapons or postulate that Joe Jedi is the most powerful Jedi in the universe, because we don't want to ruffle any feathers, but at the same time, we know such things cannot be allowed. CMAC will approve or deny things on a case-by-case basis (including starting equipment/assets, plots, characters, as well as guiding battles). I think we're all tired enough from this kind of thing happening on VIII. So please, let's all try to cooperate in a friendly spirit. We've seen VIII grind to a halt, and I know none of us want to repeat that. I know there will be disagreements, but if we all at least try to play nice, I have every confidence this system will work fine.

Things we're pretty well decided on

• Six PCs and 4 PNPCs allowed.
  • Each player is allowed to have one FS PC character and one FS PNPC character. Switching FS PCs and PNPCs around is not allowed. If your FS dies, you may make a new one, or make your PNPC FS to a PC FS, but you may not designate an FS character as inactive to get the slot back, nor may you swap them for this purpose. No miraculous resurrections in the same RPG. This happened way too often in SWVIII.
  • All canon characters (FS canon characters included) may be killed only if CMAC approves (this is to prevent, for example, a new player getting hold of an important canon character then killing him later on if he decides he wants another FS slot, or for any other reason like that). Your original (new) characters can be killed perfectly fine if you consent to it, but canon characters are rather irreplaceable. Swapping canon FS PCs/PNPCs will be decided on a case by case basis.

I realize the above section was kind of confusing. Forgive me. :p The last thing we want to do is to provide a meticulously mapped-out set of rules, but some things get rather complex.

Things that you guys can vote on

• Force system - There is no set, specific battlesystem as there was in SWVIII. However, the Force system web application I created for the KotOR RPG is still working and, in my opinion, an excellent application. If you guys would like, I could adapt the Force system to the new RPG at a later time. This would re-introduce the concept of points and levelling. It is a very good system that is fun to use, but it's up to you if we want to use it, or don't.

• ECP - The ECP was a good idea that fell short for VIII, due to all kinds of issues - most of which should be solved in the next RPG. CMAC is rather depressed that the ECP didn't work out for SWVIII, but we are more than willing to give it another shot in the new RPG, if the fanbase is willing. If you guys want to do it, the ECP can be formed after the principle initial plots are carried out (establishment of factions, return of the Empire, fracturing of the Galactic Union, etc).

Anyway, please let us know what you think about these things. Please vote for the ECP and Force system ideas clearly, by doing something like Votes to have the ECP or something like that.

We're very excited to see how things are shaping up for this game, and we hope you share the same sentiments. :D Please let us know what you think soon so we can get things rolling!

PS: As I said in the last thread, if you are not very interested in the setting or Star Wars in general, we will have a forum where mini-RPGs can go. The most important thing to us is keeping this group together in the same place.

Last edited by Nevin Antilles on Wed, July 15th 2009 02:16pm; edited 7 times in total
 Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, June 14th 2009 01:20pm    Post subject:

Votes to have the ECP.

I won't be using it myself, I imagine, but it sounds cracking so Votes for the Force System too.

Shotgun on one of the allowed factions :P I also feel Imperial... or Freelance...

So many possibilities! :D

-Grand Admiral, Chief of Staff of Nespis Defence Force-

"LOL DILDOS" - Cray | "FFS" - Ams | "Moff, you should know better." - Han

Alex says:
I outnumber him ten million to one
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:
everytime i talk to alexus, i love him a little more

Holder of the 30,000th post

Inventor of the phrase "I'll get my killin' hat." (Seriously. Google it.)

"My gut can't repel comedy of that magnitude!" - Jace911
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sun, June 14th 2009 01:47pm    Post subject:

Now, do you want your Imperials Russian-style or German? :p

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zero
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Sun, June 14th 2009 02:31pm    Post subject:

Ams or Cray, if either of you can be on MSN in the next half hour, I'd like to talk about my characters prior to the start of the new game :D

<Rank image pending...>

Scyntor: Oh and this is my new best friend Zero...no...noooo...don't point the big experimental plasma weapon at the nice rebel leader...
 Back to top »
Shayera Jendob
Huggably, Lovably Able to Kill You

Post Posted: Sun, June 14th 2009 03:31pm    Post subject:

Crap. I just got back home. :(

Sorry, Jase. :(

EDIT: And what about Han? I think she was on...

Colonel Shayera Jendob - Chief of Security for Supreme Moff Jendob
Expand

Last edited by Shayera Jendob on Sun, June 14th 2009 03:38pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Han Solo
CMAC Artist

Post Posted: Sun, June 14th 2009 03:36pm    Post subject:

What about me?

I was on all afternoon all alone. :(

But now I'm leaving, but I'm just saying...I'm CMAC too and I'm available to talk if anyone needs anything.

"You know, if you could apply that smuggler's brain to real politics, you'd be my equal."
"Meaning I wouldn't be able to just draw my blaster and shoot the politicians? What kind of a deal is that?"

---Leia and Han

Last edited by Han Solo on Sun, June 14th 2009 03:37pm; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top »
Zero
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Sun, June 14th 2009 04:03pm    Post subject:

Yeah... sorry about that Han... I forgot :(

I'm still on though(stupid college paper) so.... yeah?

<Rank image pending...>

Scyntor: Oh and this is my new best friend Zero...no...noooo...don't point the big experimental plasma weapon at the nice rebel leader...
 Back to top »
dudop
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, June 14th 2009 04:54pm    Post subject:

I see loopholes. [soon-to-be] dead loopholes. lol.

So is there an implication that you can't be T.E.?

And if there's no money, can anyone stop me from making a pirate organization dedicated to building an Accuser-style craft in about a year? Without specifications I clearly can't say "IDK victory for me" but I can say "My ship took a year to build, it's figgin huge and it haz a laz0r! Uberpwnage and escape to hyperspace!!!!!1"

BTW, GU FTL. But otherwise I like all the suggestions so far.
Shayera Jendob

Post Posted: Sun, June 14th 2009 05:54pm    Post subject:

Quote:
So is there an implication that you can't be T.E.?

What is TE?

Quote:
And if there's no money, can anyone stop me from making a pirate organization dedicated to building an Accuser-style craft in about a year?

Yes. We're called admins, and we prefer to use an honor system. Break it, and you lose honor. :p

Quote:
Without specifications I clearly can't say "IDK victory for me" but I can say "My ship took a year to build, it's figgin huge and it haz a laz0r! Uberpwnage and escape to hyperspace!!!!!1"

Well... it's not so much there are no specifications at all. Obviously, ICly... you should be able to count how many guns you have. But the game isn't decided by who has more heavy turbolaser cannons.

Expand
 Back to top »
Tiara Tranada
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Sun, June 14th 2009 07:55pm    Post subject:

I Votes for the ECP and the Force System.

You've mentioned the Jedi Order as being closer to grey their their ancestors/canon counterparts, but what about Darksiders? Would there be a set hierarchy controlling the darksiders or would the Jedi have reduced them to a mere memory?

Quote:
What is TE?

True Empire?

Colonel Tiara Tranada
Agent Stentax 666

Back to top »
Shayera Jendob

Post Posted: Sun, June 14th 2009 08:03pm    Post subject:

I call it the Rag-Tag Imperial Fleet... searching for a home... :p

And I was under the impression applications would certainly be accepted for that faction.

Expand
 Back to top »
Don Corleone
Corporal

Post Posted: Sun, June 14th 2009 08:08pm    Post subject:

I too would like to see many of these features come to be. The ECP is a decent idea, since CMAC seem to have burnt out at times and obviously a helping hand would be excellent.

The Force system is the same, many people may recall, back when I was young and stupid, the ways I abused my force position as Luke. Freezing blaster bolts, setting cloaks on fire and so forth. So having a more concrete platform on which to base our powers and abilities may be in order. However, I believe that the current system on deciding how powerful each Original FS is needs to be improved. From my understanding it is purely based on dice rolls, this is all well and good but I believe some expansion is in order.

For example, let's say Joe and his friend Steve both play here. Joe is a casual player and turns out a few acceptable posts a week. However Steve is here constantly. Driving plots forward with his expansive and descriptive posts submitted daily. Which of these two should be granted a more powerful FS character? In the old system the dice was rolled from 1-20, I believe, and the number randomly rolled was awarded as a maximum and 'current' force power indicator.

In the revised system things are essentially the same, however, with CMAC, with the input of the ECP, would evaluate players based not on post count per se, but on content and dramatic expansion, that is how much they push their current plot with their posts. And with said evaluation they would be able to better use the FS slots to the game's advantage.

For example, both Steve and Joe want an FS. This is fine. Whereas the old system would roll 1-20 for both of them, again using my limited understanding, and the rolls would be random. With my proposed system the maximum 'level' would also be decided by rolls. However instead of 1-20 it would be something like 15-20 for Steve, due to his being a constant and driving force behind the game's dramatic expansion. And Joe would have been rolled between 10-15, since he is active but not as involved as Steve.

Just my two cents.
Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, June 14th 2009 11:06pm    Post subject:

Vote for the Force system.

Will there be Sith characters as well in the True Empire?

*Stabs Wedge repeatedly* :P Now everybody's happy. - Lazer

In Soviet Russia, Force uses you! :P - Kypjargon

Sarin, you ***** *** pansy, you screw with me, you screw with my GIANT LASER GUN. - Xaph, imitating Commander Shepard
 Back to top »
Kilvec Ordo
Lieutenant

Post Posted: Sun, June 14th 2009 11:33pm    Post subject:

Dildos. You heard me. Plural.

Actually, the set up sounds good. Quiet good. I am pleased. I'm not sure about no money, because then, well everything can come easy, and the feeling of limitlessness can become dull quickly. However, it can work out.

I vote Force System.

Kilvec Ordo

Chief Commander of the Citadel Krytocracy

"You just broke physics."-Peyr Baelish

"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of Kilvec's nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Gustaf Koehler." -Alexus
 Back to top »
Shayera Jendob

Post Posted: Sun, June 14th 2009 11:37pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Will there be Sith characters as well in the True Empire?

Not likely. We don't want VIII lite, with Sith versus Jedi.

Quote:
Dildos. You heard me. Plural.

Just because I can get away with it in MEC doesn't mean you can here. :p

Quote:
Actually, the set up sounds good. Quiet good. I am pleased. I'm not sure about no money, because then, well everything can come easy, and the feeling of limitlessness can become dull quickly. However, it can work out.

Nothing's limitless.>_>

But having a stringent economy system was a major cause of VIII's downfall.

Expand
 Back to top »
Derek Brand
Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, June 15th 2009 12:05am    Post subject:

So what state is the Jedi Order in?

*Stabs Wedge repeatedly* :P Now everybody's happy. - Lazer

In Soviet Russia, Force uses you! :P - Kypjargon

Sarin, you ***** *** pansy, you screw with me, you screw with my GIANT LASER GUN. - Xaph, imitating Commander Shepard
 Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Mon, June 15th 2009 01:20am    Post subject:

I like the idea as well, and I look forward to joining.

I think everything should be open to the public though, and perhaps core characters can be split evenly at first?

And to clear a thought up: this game has nothing to do with VI/VIII, correct? :P

And I'd love to play a Sith leader-ish.

Last edited by Alatáriël Pallanén on Mon, June 15th 2009 01:21am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Mon, June 15th 2009 04:06am    Post subject:

honour/honor system is a good idea. It will encourage people working together ^_^

EDIT: But I will actually leave both games forever if you do not get rid of this verdammt word filter that Americani s es every word! It actually does offend me. No foolies.

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Last edited by Velora Antana on Mon, June 15th 2009 04:08am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Tiara Tranada
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Mon, June 15th 2009 06:06am    Post subject:

:o I never knew you silly americans filtered words with our in them...

Colonel Tiara Tranada
Agent Stentax 666

Back to top »
Nevin Antilles
CMAC Webmaster

Post Posted: Mon, June 15th 2009 08:32am    Post subject:

That's Moff's idea. :p

Anyway, as far as Sith go, I'm not sure. I will be leading the True Empire, and I'm not sure what the Empire ran into while they were away. Sith are a possibility, but certainly not... well, certain, yet. I rather doubt it myself, but we'll see.

As far as the Force system going by honor, maybe. But I don't think it's very good to have someone go from being an 11 to a 19 on good behavior. I dunno.

@Alex: No, it has nothing to do with the SWVII/I universe.

Last edited by Nevin Antilles on Mon, June 15th 2009 08:32am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Shayera Jendob

Post Posted: Mon, June 15th 2009 10:52am    Post subject:

It was supposed to be an April Fool's prank... but the software wouldn't let me fix it. :(

Anyway, in my opinion, you'll still have Lumiya lurking around and doing nasty things, but pretty much everything since Darksaber unhappened. :p

EDIT: Rather amusingly, Alexus, the dodge you tried to use in your post wasn't in the filter. It was just some very common words, like meter, saber, kilometer, armor, and honor. :p

Expand

Last edited by Shayera Jendob on Mon, June 15th 2009 11:13am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Mon, June 15th 2009 11:22am    Post subject:

:(

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Shayera Jendob

Post Posted: Mon, June 15th 2009 11:28am    Post subject:

The damage has been repaired. Now be nice. :p

Expand
 Back to top »
Luke Skywalker
CMAC Associate

Post Posted: Mon, June 15th 2009 02:01pm    Post subject:

Derek Brand wrote:
So what state is the Jedi Order in?

The Jedi Order in this setting will be somewhat similar to the Order that I saw in the KotOR-era. Since there's been relative peace for so long, Luke has had a lot of time to work on building and expanding the Order. Academies have sprung up in many places across the Galaxy, but as the Order grew, those in charge of the various academies have disagreed with Luke's teachings, so some of them are a little grayer than others.

There are basically two major players in this situation; Luke, and my Jedi Historian character. Luke's teachings are more or less similar to how they are in canon, but my character's are much more gray on the scale, and it is well known that the two tend to butt heads when the RPG starts. Eventually, my character will secede from "Luke's Order" and start her own, then the rest of the Jedi will have to choose their sides and basically turn the whole situation into a Jedi Cold War.
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Mon, June 15th 2009 02:08pm    Post subject:

I would really like to see Jase as one of these academy runners. Basically, I've envisioned him in this timeline as breaking away from being an assassin after meeting Luke; and actually training and becoming Jedi Master. Of course, with his mindset, his teachings at an academy would be very gray, which would cause some distancing between himself and Luke.

If that's okay with you, as you weren't Luke's player when Jase met him in VII.

Lt. Colonel Jase Denora
Leader of The Unknowns, Rogue Jedi, Smexy
The Hugh Hefner of Homicide

Jedi Powers: FS Roll
DT-III Armor: Having the right connections
Mace Windu's Lightsaber: Clever plotting
Getting away with murder: Priceless

Holder of the 10,000th post

Expand
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Announcements » Ideas and features for New RPG
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: