}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
A Moment Of Silence
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Off-Topic » A Moment Of Silence
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thanates Scyntor
Corporal

Post Posted: Sun, January 04th 2009 12:51pm    Post subject: A Moment Of Silence

Lester Conrad, my grandfather and veteran of World War II, passed away at 1209 Zulu today.

He had been fighting a losing battle with Alzheimer's for nearly three years, and still was able to remember and cognate some of the most obscure details of his life. He was in a VA hospital, where even in his illness he managed to win a fight against a more powerful opponent: A hospital that had been taking advantage of the patients under its care.

He was a tank driver in Africa during World War II, attached to the 5th Infantry, the force that went against Field Marshal Rommel's forces. In his first tour, the tank he was driving was hit by artillery. The commander and gunner were both killed, and he survived for three days wedged between the track of the tank and the undercarriage, before being rescued by Allied forces. He was awarded two Purple Hearts for his injuries.

But this wasn't enough. He got a false ID, signed up again, and was deployed. It wasn't until after he was shot that the facade was broken and people found out who he was. For his bravery and his incessant need to do what he knew was right, he was awarded his third Purple Heart and the Presidential Citation.

A man of few words, he didn't talk with me about the hell he had seen abroad... but on retrospect, I remember seeing ghosts of it in his eyes. He always did what needed to be done, not because he felt the compulsion to do it, but he knew that it was the right thing and it NEEDED to be done. Brilliant and unassuming, memories of him are among the happiest of my childhood.

My friends, the character of Thanates Scyntor would not exist, were it not for him. It is the inspiration of his courage on the battlefield, of his abilities with machinery, and of his uncanny ability to find a simple solution to almost any problem that provide me with the drive to make this character live. I ask not for your sympathy, but your remembrance of a conflict that shook the world. The greatest gift you can give to a veteran is the vow that their struggle is not forgotten... and is not in vain.

"I do not forgive. Look into my eyes, and you will see only the promise of Hell."

~~~~~~~~~

Brent - Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing... how embarrassing. says:
DT-IVs are MY pets
Dj (VIII is begining to piss me off.) says:
SCREW YOUR PETS!
Supreme Moff Ams Jendob says:
Indeed.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, January 04th 2009 01:09pm    Post subject:

RIP.
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sun, January 04th 2009 02:40pm    Post subject:

My condolences, Rory.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Petyr Baelish
Aedile

Post Posted: Sun, January 04th 2009 03:35pm    Post subject:

I'm sure his life will not be unremembered.

2084rpg.net - Business, science, intrigue, and rebellion.

"Pazaak bores me. I often suspect my opponent of cheating. I prefer predictable games, such as galactic economics."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leyao Quon
Private

Post Posted: Sun, January 04th 2009 03:48pm    Post subject:

He lives in you still, Rory.

Field Marshall Leyao Quon
 Back to top »
Derek Brand
Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, January 04th 2009 09:23pm    Post subject:

Rest in peace. v_v

*Stabs Wedge repeatedly* :P Now everybody's happy. - Lazer

In Soviet Russia, Force uses you! :P - Kypjargon

Sarin, you ***** *** pansy, you screw with me, you screw with my GIANT LASER GUN. - Xaph, imitating Commander Shepard
 Back to top »
Zero
Sergeant First Class

Post Posted: Wed, January 07th 2009 06:05pm    Post subject:

Sorry for your loss Rory. Your grandfather was a true hero.

<Rank image pending...>

Scyntor: Oh and this is my new best friend Zero...no...noooo...don't point the big experimental plasma weapon at the nice rebel leader...
 Back to top »
Luke Skywalker
CMAC Associate

Post Posted: Thu, January 08th 2009 02:44am    Post subject:

Sorry to hear that, Rory. My heart goes out to you.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Off-Topic » A Moment Of Silence
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: