}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Spacer's Inn Drinking And Gaming Establishment
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Nar Shaddaa » Spacer's Inn Drinking And Gaming Establishment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruby
Private

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 06:25am    Post subject: Spacer's Inn Drinking And Gaming Establishment

Ruby looked at the half-visible neon sign above the door to the basement pub, wondering if the proprietor was for real. Nobody in their right mind would call their pub such a ridiculously long name unless they were touched in the head, extragalactic or exceptionally stupid. She shrugged to herself and walked down the stairs.

The neon style continued in the basement level, barely lit pub. Pink, green, yellow and blue neon lights cast their contrasting glows across the inhabitants, making them seem even more alien than they already were and strategically placed black lights made drinks and white colors glow a revolting purple color. Ruby had no idea what had drawn her to this place, only that she wanted wanted a drink.

"Sonic Servodriver," she said. The barkeeper answered with a grunt and shuffled off to make her drink.
"That's an interesting choice of drink," said a middle-aged human male beside her. Ruby ignored him. He got offended.
"Do you know who I am?" he snarled.
"Some annoying kriffhead who's about two wrong statements away from a bleeding artery?" she suggested sweetly as her drink was delivered.
"You aren't packing," he said with a dangerous looking smirk, "you didn't set off the weapon scanner."
"I don't need a weapon to make you bleed," Ruby replied, her eyes glittering dangerously in the darkness.
"See here lady," interrupted the bartender, "I won't have you starting fights in my establishment. If you want to act like that you can take your business elsewhere."

Ruby glared at the man for a few moments before taking her drink and walking towards one of the empty booths. The problem with hiding blades as she did was that it was impossible to get them out without crouching down unless she was a Jedi, which she definately wasn't. She also hated using blasters and Tiara's lightsaber would have set off the previously mentioned weapon scanners.
 Back to top »
Denavus Zarthen

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 06:52am    Post subject:

Denavus watched the scene at the bar from under the dark hood of his cloak. There were more ways than one to kill a man. Even more to bring a weapon into a bar that didn't trip a weapon scanner. Though the girl carried herself well, he wasn't so sure she knew as much about the trash that frequented these types of places as he did. Leaning against the booth, he sipped his drink quietly while watching the man that had hassled her. He was going to act soon. He could see the man's eyes, wild with indignation as he continued to watch the girl that had 'insulted' him.

The move came soon enough. As the middle-aged idiot got up, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small metal club. You can do better than that... Denavus was up in an instant, moving smoothly and deliberately. As he approached the man, as one who has had more than a few tied on, he stumbled on purpose and threw his highly potent drink in the man's face.

" You son of kath hound!", the man screamed. " Watch were you're going!" Denavus smiled grimly under his hood. " Let me get that for you..." With a swift motion, Denavus pulled a small lighter from his cloak and clicked the ignitor, open flame setting the concentration of alcohol on the man's face ablaze for a split second before it burned off. The stranger screamed and swatted at his face, trying to ease the burn somehow as he stole patrons' drinks on his way out, splashing them into his face as he ran into the night.

" Zarthen!", the bartender screamed. " What the frak did you do?!" Denavus turned to face the bar. " He was going to try and make short work of your most recent customer. Consider it a gift that I kept him from causing a scene. The bartender grumbled and went back to his business; and Denavus went back to his booth.
 Back to top »
Ruby
Private

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 07:03am    Post subject:

Ruby watched the scene unfold in front of her with detached interest. More interesting to her than the idiot's inevitable violence was the bystander's defence of her. There was no reason for him to get involved and Ruby was more than capable of looking after herself. As she watched him return to his booth, she found that she had the inexplicable desire to follow him. Making up her mind in an instant, she got up and crossed the bar to sit opposite the shadowy being in his booth.

"Why?" she said simply, knowing that the person would know exactly what she was talking about.

Last edited by Ruby on Wed, May 21st 2008 07:16am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Ruby
Private

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 07:03am    Post subject:

double-post as a result of shitty internet.

Last edited by Ruby on Wed, May 21st 2008 07:06am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Denavus Zarthen

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 07:26am    Post subject:

Denavus raised a brow as the girl got up and walked over to his booth, sitting down opposite of him. He let her question hang in the air as he raised what was left in his glass to his lips under the hood and swallowed it slowly. Perhaps the girl would have been able to handle herself. She certainly carried herself well and showed it by being able to enter a place like this on a moon like Nar Shadda. Smiling slightly, he knew why he had done it. To show the fool that there were those who grew weary of their kind. Always sputtering about, confident in their feeble minds that there was no threat to them.

" Why?", Denavus said, repeating her question as he set his glass down. " Quite possibly... because I needed some entertainment. And because he needed a dose of reality."
 Back to top »
Ruby
Private

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 07:55am    Post subject:

Ruby raised an eyebrow; this seemed like her sort of person, or perhaps he was just trying to get a reaction. Were that the case he would be disappointed. She had learned long ago that the face was not a welcome place for emotions that you wanted to keep hidden. She drained the rest of the liquid in her glass to give her more time to think.

"I had wondered if the barkeep had the stones to kick anyone out for causing a ruckus. Obviously he doesn't. Thank you for you help, though I had it under control."
 Back to top »
Denavus Zarthen

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 08:01am    Post subject:

Denavus nodded under his hood and raised a hand, signaling for two more of the same drinks to be brought to his booth. He was certain the girl was neither prostitute or hunter. It simply appeared that his actions had been enough to solicit a genuine interest in them. he would repay her thanks, as well as the fact that he had taken the fight from her, with a drink. he had no interest in trying to woo her nor any in making friends. At least she seemed to be in the same mindset.

" The bartender is loud, but has no heart for fighting. That is why he has weapons scanners. As for you being able to handle the situation: i am sure you could have, I merely got to him first."
 Back to top »
Ruby
Private

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 08:17am    Post subject:

Trust was a relative thing, always an act of faith. This man appeared to have no love of the scum that frequented these sort of places, but did he have a love for the law? This was the problem with being out of the loop. She had never heard of this 'Zarthen', having come straight here to look for work after getting off the Amity.

"I've just landed; is there anywhere around here that I can get work?" she said, hating how she phrased the question but not being able to think of any way to put it on the spot. It was pathetic, she looked like a helpless little girl.
 Back to top »
Denavus Zarthen

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 08:23am    Post subject:

A slight pause, Denavus went completely quiet. As she spoke, he reached over into the next booth. The young man, no older than twenty, that sat there had removed a cigarette from a golden box. As soon as he saw who was reaching for it, he handed it to Denavus, his hand shaking with fear. He was probably no more than a messenger for some crime family, the name of Denavus Zarthen had that effect on the younger, more inexperienced thugs around here.

Bringing the cigarette to his hidden lips, Denavus lit it and took a deep drag, patting the shaking young man on the cheek in appreciation. " Work is a relative thing. I myself just left a job at a warehouse. The operation was falling in on itself," he said with a wry look of delight that barely showed from under the brim of his hood. " What are your skills?"
 Back to top »
Ruby
Private

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 08:32am    Post subject:

Being a law-abiding citizen wasn't the sort of business that inspired fear in the masses, so Ruby was relatively sure that this Zarthen wasn't any sort of rat. Being a corrupt fed might do it, but a corrupt fed would have work for her. He smoked too; Ruby was only slightly revolted. How anyone could do that to themselves was beyond her.

His next statement was said with a sense of self-aware irony that lead Ruby to believe that the work he was doing wasn't exactly on the level. Her skills weren't exactly the sort you kept written down in a CV, but still; she would have no problem relaying them.

"I am a decent shot with a blaster, but I prefer hand-to-hand combat with blades or swords. I can pick any sort of mechanical lock and have escaped from more than a few prisons in my time."
 Back to top »
Denavus Zarthen

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 08:37am    Post subject:

" Sounds as if you might do well here. If you have the right employer. Many of the bosses here... tend to cut loose bad prospects." He held the cigarette away from the table and tapped smoldering ash onto the floor. The bartender saw and shook his head in bemusement. Taking another drag, Denavus spoke slowly, his voice full of intent.

" I have a job to do in a few hours. Some clean up work at a motel. Perhaps you would tag along? There might be some experience to be gained, as well than a little more than a few credits."
 Back to top »
Ruby
Private

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 08:47am    Post subject:

Clean-up work? It wasn't what she expected, but was also probably a test. She decided to take the work; after all, what was the worst that could happen? A small voice in the back of her head came up with an alarmingly long list of possible catastrophies as if one cue. She blocked it out, assuming that this was the conscience that most people took for granted.

"Sure, I could use the credits. Is there any equipment that I need?" It was a weighted question, even a moron could tell that but nobody could blame her for trying to glean a bit more information by asking seemingly innocent questions.
 Back to top »
Denavus Zarthen

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 08:52am    Post subject:

Denavus sighed and stamped out the cigarette. He didn't like it when people began asking poor questions. There was no way that she didn't know what he was speaking of. Leaning over the table, he looked at her from under the hood. " Yes, wear something that doesn't stain." Standing up, he put some credits on the table for the bartender and looked to the door, than back to the girl.

" Five hours. Sleppers' Hideaway in the Fifth District. Tenth floor. Room 10-201. Don't be late."
 Back to top »
Ruby
Private

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 09:11am    Post subject:

Apparently some people could blame her for trying to get a little more information. It didn't matter at any rate; she had work, even if she had pissed off her employer at the start. He looked like he wanted to leave; she wasn't going to stop him. She wanted to ground herself properly anyway and find out who the hell this person was.

To her, no questions asked meant that she wouldn't ask her employer any direct questions; it didn't mean that she didn't want to know what she was getting herself into. Osiris always said that the only way to ensure your success was to hold all the value cards and if you could hold them, know who did.

"I will meet you there then," she said holding out a hand.
 Back to top »
Denavus Zarthen

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 09:15am    Post subject:

Denavus placed a credit chip in her hand and closed her fingers around it instead of formally shaking on a deal. He didn't believe in such niceties. there were far more important things to do. He turned again for the door and spoke quietly, loud enough for just the two of them to hear.

" Buy yourself some better shoes, anyone with enough experience can see plainly that you have blades hidden in them." With that, he left the bar.
 Back to top »
Ruby
Private

Post Posted: Wed, May 21st 2008 09:30am    Post subject:

Smartass, thought Ruby as she returned to the bar the place her empty glass down as a sort of timewaster before exiting the bar herself. The first thing she did was access a public information terminal to find out where her job was so that she could familiarise herself with the area and find any possible routes of escape should something go wrong.

She took an airtaxi through the area using the credits Zarthen gave her. While en route, she noticed the rubble of a building that was still smouldering, apparently having been destroyed recently. Ruby made a mental note to find out what had happened. It usually paid to know about any gang activity in areas you were planning on working in.
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Nar Shaddaa » Spacer's Inn Drinking And Gaming Establishment
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: