}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Bosq Nordest Cemetary
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Thanagar » Bosq Nordest Cemetary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shayera Jendob
Huggably, Lovably Able to Kill You

Post Posted: Fri, December 28th 2007 03:56am    Post subject: Bosq Nordest Cemetary

As the speeder passed through the black iron gates, a chill ran down my spine. Canja sat to the left of me, Ams on my right. The twins were facing backwards and toward us in the rear seat. I felt uneasy, but a gentle squeeze of my hand and a gentle smile from Ams eased it a little.

Canjra noticed as well. "I know how it feels," she said softly in Thanagarian. "Be strong, Big Sister."

The speeder finally came to a stop amidst the maze of paths, monuments, headstones, and simple markers for those who could afford no better. I looked over at my sister. "Are you sure it's them?" I asked in our native tongue. I wasn't trying to be rude to Ams by cutting him out of the loop, but this was something I'd originally planned on doing alone. Something very private and... personal, for want of a better word. And something that would probably hit me quite hard, quite deep, and I really didn't want to take it out on my family.

"I am sure."

But Ams had insisted, with the best of intentions at heart. But I didn't want to show him my doubt, my worry. Thanagarians did not have a concept of an afterlife, nor even any serious religions on the planet. We were taught that once you expire, that's it. No shiny marble or golden gates for the good, no pits of fire and sulfur for the evil. You rot in the ground, and only your memory and your family remain. But that didn't stop a couple of irrational traditions, or hopes. Traditions wasn't quite the word. I'd heard of people going to graves of loved ones, to converse with them. Obviously, I didn't expect any visceral answers (and if I got any, I'd probably be a kilometer in the air and flying away as fast as possible), but there was a certain... I couldn't even explain it to myself.

Basic can be so limiting at times, I mused. Of course, over the past twenty years, I'd accustomed myself to it that my very thoughts were in Basic, not Thanagarian. Maybe I hoped today would let me recapture a link to a time before all of that, before having to fend for two young siblings when I was just a child myself. Having to fight off those that would try to prey on us, and preying on those too weak to defend themselves just so we could survive.

This world held many grim memories, many chapters of my life I wished to remain buried and untouched, for the dust to settle and consume those horrid pages in my story. But they'd always be there. They helped shape me, shape Canjra, and Hro, and similar experiences had shaped many of the nine hundred million Thanagarians on the planet. Not much of a way to raise a child, but... if it meant that child lived, that's all that mattered on this world. That's all that mattered to Canjra, Hro, and me back then. Getting to the next day. The next day of searching for shelter, for food. Occasionally, we'd be taken in by this orphanage or that one... a brief respite. A bed, or cot under us at night, a meal... but eventually, the war would find that little comfort and snuff it out, driving us back out into the cold and rain and frenzied violence.

It was cold and raining on this day, too. Bitterly cold droplets splashed on my head and exposed wings as I exited the speeder after Canjra. I began to wonder why I was back on this oppressive little ball of rock, surrounded by graves of people I didn't know, and didn't wish to know.

But then I saw Canjra's eyes fix on a small plot with a simple wooden pole for a marker. It was rotted, decaying... much as the planet was all of those years ago. But, there was a ray of hope. As I moved closer, I saw glistening granite. It was new, incredibly new. Less than a month old. Etch into the surface were Thanagarian runes; the Aurebesh had no place on this world outside of a few educational texts and Imperial documents in various headquarters across the planet. The runes marked out three characters in Basic at the top, then with several smaller ones on each side of the stone block. They spelled out the name of my family and the given names of my parents.

I closed my eyes for an instant, to blink. As I did, the memory came back. The explosion, the screams and cries and wailing. Bolting to my parents' bodies, shaking them, screaming for them, begging them to respond... but they were never going to answer. I began to notice the details of the damage, the terrible, gory wounds...

And the image vanished as my eyes opened again. Before the details could be processed further, and I violently shoved that memory back into the darkest recesses of my mind. It was a memory that had been long silent, one not visited but in the darkest of nightmares or cruelest of recollection.

I had not known where my parents were buried, or indeed, if they had been. I hadn't cared. Thanagar was a lost planet until recently. I'd planned on never seeing it again, and I was more than fine with it. But fate, the Force, or some sort of driving force with a wicked sense of humor decided to bring me here twice for this sort of thing. First was the planet's rediscovery, a couple years ago. But that had a blessedly positive outcome... my sister and brother were still alive, the wars had ended, and the Empire gained a new ally in one of its own darkest hours.

But this... this ripped open old wounds I'd thought long since faded to scars. But I grit my teeth, trying my best to hide it. I wasn't going to be brought down by bad memories from almost thirty years ago. I wasn't frakking gonna do it.

I knelt before the rotten, decayed post and the headstone. I reached out and ran my fingertips across the smooth, slick granite. It was cold and almost slimy in feeling. So unfit for those who lay beneath it.

Canjra made a noise, and I looked up at her. A knowing, wistful smile adorned her lips. "I'll leave you alone, if you want," she said in Basic.

I nodded slowly. "Thank you," I replied, surprised that my throat had gone dry. "I'll try not to be long."

"Take all of the time you need," another voice said. "We're in no rush to go anywhere."

I looked back and saw Ams. He was wearing the same officers' overcoat I was, devoid of insignia out of respect for where we were. He was here as an observer, nothing more. He was the alien here.

They retreated several meters, the speeder with them; I was alone. I took a deep breath, and exhaled slowly. The rain still fell, but I didn't care now. I touched the polished granite with the palm of my hand, as if to create some sort of conduit between myself and the interred forms beneath. And against all reason, all rational instinct and logic that told me this was a silly and sentimental waste of time, I talked to my parents.

Colonel Shayera Jendob - Chief of Security for Supreme Moff Jendob
Expand

Last edited by Shayera Jendob on Wed, February 04th 2009 01:48am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Sat, January 05th 2008 02:28am    Post subject:

I watched as Shayera placed her hand the gravestone, and her mouth began to move. I couldn't make out what she was saying, and didn't try to out of respect. This was a private moment for her, and I wasn't going to intrude on it. Shayera and I kept very few secrets from each other, and those we did, we did so with reason. If she wanted to tell me after, I'd gladly listen. If not, it was her prerogative.

But I noticed her sister watching intently, broad green eyes fixed on the scene, her slightly-too wide mouth curled with concern. After a while, she said quietly, "This really hit her hard. You could just feel it coming off her."

I nodded. Then she added, "She also just said as much."

That was mildly annoying. I was going out of my way to protect my wife's privacy... "I can't quite make it out," I remarked.

"I'm not trying to spy on her, if that's what you think," she replied, sounding a little annoyed. "But she's not really making much effort to conceal what she's saying, either."

"I'm sorry," I offered. "I didn't want to imply--"

"You did," she smirked. "But you were trying to be oblique about it.

"Don't worry, Ams. She's your wife, but she's also my sister. If she wants privacy, she'll let us know. But if it'll make you feel better, I'll go make sure."

She walked away, and I noticed an familiar oddity in her gait. I waited until she returned from a brief communion with the elder Thanagarian, looking notably embarassed.

"She did want some privacy," Canjra admitted sheepishly. "Let's go over here."

Yes, she definitely had that distinctive pace. I waited until we were out of earshot for both races before mentioning anything. The speeder cruised silently beside us. After checking on the twins (who were napping), I looked at Canjra. "How far along are you?"

She gaped for a moment, then a knowing smile crossed her lips. "A couple of months. You certainly don't miss much."

"I know the signs," I smirked. "Congratulations."

She raised an eyebrow, laughed, and wrapped her arms around me. "What am I, your secretary? C'mere you."

I returned her warm embrace. "Well, I'm not quite sure what else to say," I laughed. "That's what I've always heard."

She squeezed a little tighter, then let go. "Sometimes I feel so bad for people who speak Basic. It's so... limiting."

Then Canjra locked those deep green eyes with mine, and for an instant, I thought Shayera was standing beside me instead of her sister. But the illusion passed quickly.

We quickly recovered a maintainable, but close distance. And as Shayera spoke with her parents, her sister and I discussed all manner of topics, from my experiences as a parent (and preparing her for her upcoming saga) to professional matters such as funding allocation for the Thanagarian military, signs of which I'd seen in orbit. An hour, perhaps two passed before we saw Shy move. After she stood, she looked over at us and I could see her smile.

Then she spread her wings and took to the skies of her homeworld, her form standing out against the red sky with cyan clouds. She soared toward us, and landed gently about three meters away. "So, what have you two been conspiring about?" she smiled. Her eyes were crimson-rimmed, but her expression and voice were bright.

"Oh, not much hermana," Canjra smiled. "So, how are you doing?"

My wife nodded. "Good, actually. I never thought I'd actually... talk to them. But it was... I can't really explain." Then she looked at Canjra. "Did you...?"

"Not really," her sister replied.

Shayera laughed. "No, I mean, you look different. Wait... are you--" Her eyes widened.

A grin split Canjra's face. "Yes, I am. You're going to be an aunt," she said excitedly. She barely had time to finish before Shy grabbed her in a hug.

"I'm so happy for you," the elder Thanagarian said. "How long?"

"Just found out, so a while," chuckled the younger. "Are you sure you're all right?"

Shy nodded. "Yeah... but let's get out of the rain. Unless, you want to, Canjra..."

But her sister merely shook her head. "I don't know... not now. Now let's go, it's getting cold out."

"Just?" Shayera smirked as she opened the speeder door. We quickly got back inside, and drove away. Despite her (and my unvoiced) expectations, Shayera was far from gloomy or depressed. If anything, she seemed like a huge weight weight was gone from her.

Then a ray of sunshine suddenly pierced the clouds and flooded the speeder with its warm glow.

Well, that was odd, I mused.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p

Last edited by Ams Jendob on Sat, January 26th 2008 01:58am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Thanagar » Bosq Nordest Cemetary
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: