}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Denon Courthouse #S13-B
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Denon » Denon Courthouse #S13-B
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel Wright
Private

Post Posted: Thu, March 22nd 2007 02:10am    Post subject: Denon Courthouse #S13-B

”Frak.” Lionel muttered, underneath his breath. Or so he had thought.
“What’s wrong?”

That someone actually responded nearly startled him. Lionel looked over at the man seated next to him. Either Wright had been louder than he thought, or Roy Nullg had better hearing than he would have guessed. Either way, it was not good that he had given his client something to worry about.

”Oh, nothing.” he said, trying to ease his nerves. ”It’s just that the water’s lukewarm, and I’m rather preferable to cold water myself. Didn’t even put any ice cubes in.”
“You’re upset about the temperature of your water?”

Wonderful. He had just made it worse.

”No no. Don’t think that it’ll interfere with my ability to represent you today. I just like my water cold. That’s all. It’s a minor thing, really. Just a preference choice.”
“I certainly hope so.”
”I understand completely.”

“All rise! The honorable Judge Woodstaff presiding!”

”Oh, now he enters.” Lionel thought to himself as he stood with the rest of the courtroom. Why couldn’t he have entered before Lionel had worried Nullg with his talk about lukewarm and cold water?

“Mr. Roy Nullg. You have been charged with aggravated assault, aggravated battery, and third-degree beingslaughter. How do you plead?”
“Not guilty.”

Lionel managed to glance over at Mr. Schmitty as Roy entered his plea. The man was grinning. Trying to hide it of course, but grinning.

Oh yeah. It was on.

Pocket Change: 50,000

The guy who made the 25,000th post
 Back to top »
Lionel Wright
Private

Post Posted: Thu, April 19th 2007 10:09pm    Post subject:

Lionel didn’t pay much attention to the prosecutions opening statements. He heard a few things about how obvious the evidence would make this case for the jury and all the standard issue bantha droppings about justice and how the victim was crying out for vengeance. But mostly, Lionel went over his own opening statements in his head, making sure he was absolutely certain he had his words right. So caught up in his own little world that he didn’t realize it was his turn until the judge gave him a reminder.

“Mr. Wright?”
”Hmm?”
“Your turn, Mr. Wright. Unless you’d like to defer?”
”Oh, yes. Thank you, your honor.”

Walking up to the generic, run of the mill space for statements, or the soapbox, as he liked to call it, Lionel faked a coughing fit. The bar officer started to get up to see if he was alright, but Lionel held out his hand, and quickly ended the act, giving the assurance that he was alright.

”Excuse me.” he said with an easy voice. ”Sometimes court makes me allergic.”

That got a couple chuckles, but not quite the reaction he had hoped for.

”What you just saw may or may not have been real. Unless you happen to be very good at knowing what’s what with that sort of thing. But that’s neither here nor there. The fact is, sometimes it is hard to tell when someone is sick.”

Turning to look for a moment at Mr. Nullg, he then turned back to face the jury, keeping his hand indicating to his client as he referred to him.

”The man I represent today is one of those people. Now my associate over there at the other desk would like you to believe that locking him up for a long time will be some sort of justice. As I will show you, to put Mr. Roy Nullg away would in fact do the exact opposite. For as you likely do not know, Mr. Nullg is a sick man. As I will show you today, whether or not he committed the crime in question, he can not be guilty of this crime because he did not realize that he was doing it. Believe it or not, he has no knowledge whatsoever of doing anything wrong.

Taking a quick breather, he tried to assess how his speech was coming. The jury gave no signs. Expected, but unfortunate.

”Come on. Help me here.”
“Believe it or not, Mr. Nullg is a man who needs help. Professional help. My associate, however, is misguided and doesn’t realize this. If only he knew. Then he would realize that instead of putting this man away, what we should do instead is pity him and let him get the help he needs. Fortunately, both him and you will get to hear his sad story today and realize also that Mr. Nullg is a man who needs help.

His argument finished, Lionel returned to his seat. Overall, he felt he had done well. That would put him in a good mood to carry through and hopefully win this thing.

“The prosecution may call its first witness.”

Back to top »
Lionel Wright
Private

Post Posted: Sun, May 13th 2007 02:41pm    Post subject:

The first ‘witness’ was a Mon Calamari named Horto Acbah. After he was sworn in, it quickly became apparent that he really a witness in name only.

“Please state your name for the record.” Schmitty said to him.
“Horto Acbah.” He replied.
“And please tell me why you are in this courtroom today.”
“Because I was witness to the murder that Mr. Nullg committed.”

Donald took a moment to unnessicarily let the jury take in the information.

”You arrogant…”

“So you were present when the murder took place?”
“That is correct.”
“You saw exactly what happened?”
”Objection! We’ve already established this information. Twice.”
“Upheld.”

Lionel silently thanked the judge as Donald was forced to move beyond his original point.

“What is it that you saw?”
“I saw Mr. Nullg approach the now-deceased and, without warning or provocation, violently begin attacking the victim, eventually killing him.
“Anything else?”
“Mr. Nullg then laughed to himself and ran off.”
“Anything else?”
“He appeared to be enjoying himself as he commited the crime.”
“No further questions.”

Lionel rolled his eyes. This wasn’t a witness, it was a joke. He was going to have an easier time than he had guessed.

“Tell me, Mr. Acbah, for I’m not well versed in the physiology of Mon Calamari. Does your species see in the dark better than humans do?”
“We do see on different wavelengths than humans.”
”That wasn’t my question. Are you better able to see in the dark? Do you have an easier time seeing things when it isn’t as light out?”
“I do not believe so, no.”
”Thank you.” he said with a smile. ”This crime took place in the middle of the night, did it not?”
“It was late at night, yes.”
”One last clarification statement about the time and location of the crime: It took place in the back of an alleyway, did it not? A less-kept alleyway?”
“Objection! Leading the witness.”

Lionel changed his question before the judge got a chance to respond.

“Where did this crime scene take place?”
“In the back of an alleyway.” Horto said, showing signs of worry.
”I see.”

Lionel began hoping to himself that all of Schmittys witnesses would be this easy as he moved himself towards the opposite side of the area he was allowed to tread around.

”So it was a dark night, in the back of an alley, and you yourself is not part of a species that is known for having excellent nighttime eyesight. Tell me, Mr. Acbah. How is it that you happened to see this crime taking place to begin with?”
“I was passing by the alley in question and I heard something that caught my attention.”
”So you heard this crime taking place?”
“Yes.”
”Is your hearing exceptionally good?”
“I would say so.”
”You would say so? What about your friends and acquaintances?”
“They…not…not so much.”
”I see. Would you call Denon a quieter ecumenopolis than is average?”
“No.”

Lionel was pretty sure he had already beaten this witness. Now to put the clincher on it.

”Tell me. If you saw this crime taking place, why is it that you did nothing to help the victim when he was being attacked?”
“I…didn’t…couldn’t…see…if it would result in my harm.”
”And yet you watched the entire crime take place. No further questions.”

As he got back to his seat, Lionel would have stuck his feet up on his desk and leaned back if it wasn’t a courtroom he was in.

Back to top »
Lionel Wright
Private

Post Posted: Sat, June 09th 2007 12:58am    Post subject:

The next couple of witnesses were more or less like the first – so-called ‘witnesses’ that seemed more like acts than true viewers of the crime scene. And like the first ‘witness’, Lionel was easily able to handle them, tearing their stories apart, and Schmitty fortunately not bothering to re-examining them, probably because he realized that it wouldn’t do him any good. But there were plenty of other possible reasons. But no matter trying to figure it out. It was now time for a real witness.

“We call Dr. Ro’bart Miggiw to the stand.”

Dr. Miggiw was a half human, half assortment of who knew how many other human-compatible races that had made their way into one side or the other of his family tree somewhere down the line. What was truly odd about it was the little ways these things stuck out. Unfortunately, it was also more than a little distracting, even with the people he was used to.

“Please state your name and occupation for the record.”
“Dr. Ro’bart Miggiw, Police Coroner.”
“And please tell me, Dr. Miggiw, why you are in this courtroom today.”
“I carried out the autopsy on the victim of Mr. Nullg.”
”Objection!” Wright said. ”Speculation. We have not yet established that the victim was, in fact, killed by Mr. Nullg.”

As expected, Woodstaff upheld it.

“I carried out the autopsy on the victim that Mr. Nullg has been accused of killing.”
“And would you please tell the court what the autopsy you performed showed.”
“The autopsy showed that the victim had been severely beaten, having, among other things, cracked ribs, a fractured arm, severe head trauma, and multiple cuts with a vibroblade.”
“Were there signs that the victim had resisted his attacker?”
”Objection. Leading the witness.”

This time, his objection was beaten down.

“There were, in fact, signs that the victim attempted to protect himself.”
“Now would you please tell the court what part of your investigation connected this victim with Mr. Nullg.”
“A DNA and Blood match between the blood of the victim and some blood found on the clothes of Mr. Nullg.”
“You would say without a doubt that the blood you mentioned that was found on Mr. Nullgs clothes matched that of the victim?”
“Yes.”

Donald turned to the judge and gave a small bow of his head.

“No further questions.”

Back to top »
Lionel Wright
Private

Post Posted: Sun, August 12th 2007 02:52pm    Post subject:

”We have no questions for this witness.” Lionel said as he stood, letting the doctor leave the stand. This apparently made Nullg very distraught, based on the look on his face as Wright sat down.

“Yeh, yeh, you…you’re not going to question him?” he asked in what was barely a whisper, confirming that he was not entirely on to the strategy that Lionel had been going for.

”You might want to keep your voice down a little.” he responded, keeping his own voice at a more reasonable level. ”You hired me to get you off, so trust me on this. I know what I’m doing. Questioning him further will likely only hurt our case.”

That didn’t entirely calm him down, but it at least shut him up. Lionel looked at his note to see where they were, telling him that there should only be one more person for Schmitty to call up, an officer Har’eet. Bothan, and head of what Lionel could only call the small investigation that had taken place to get the evidence he had.

Based on what information he had, Lionel guessed that this would not be a difficult final witness. Roy had not once even let on that he was confessing to the crime, a common mistake that Lionel had seen before, and the questioning that had taken place had resulted in a rather emotional turn for the accused. If he could bring that out, it would be highly beneficial to his case, and from there, he saw the case going down easy street for him.

“We call Officer Joner Har’eet to the stand.”

</span>'; foldSwitch(this);} else {foldSwitch(this);}" style="cursor: hand; cursor: pointer;">Expand

Back to top »
Lionel Wright
Private

Post Posted: Sun, August 19th 2007 12:29am    Post subject:

Officer Har’eet was a Bothan. Mostly blue colored fur, though from certain angles it could appear to be blue at times. And all bothans that Lionel had actually met, he was arrogant and full of himself. A pleasant fellow only when such words were used sarcastically. This would be loads of fun.

“Please state your name and position for the record.”
“Joner Har’eet, Denon Police Officer with Crime Investigation. I headed up the Nullg case.”
“Would you say that the information that you have acquired in this investigation point to the guilt of Mr. Nullg?”
“I would.”
“And why would you say that?”

The bothan cleared his throught before continuing.

“Because all the evidence I have acquired make it plainly obvious that Mr. Nullg is guilty. He not once stated that he believed he was innocent, clothes and a vibroblade with the victims blood on them were found in his residence, and he himself believes that he may have done it.”
“He himself believes he may have done it?”
“Exactly.”

Schmitty nodded his head and grabbed two bags from a table and, one at a time, handed them to Har’eet to look at.

“Would you identify these for me?”
“They are the clothes and vibroblade that I mentioned previously.”

Schmitty placed them back on the table.

“I present Exhibit ‘A’, one bloody piece of clothing; and Exhibit ‘B’, one bloody vibroblade.” He added before turning back to continue questioning Har’eet.

Back to top »
Lionel Wright
Private

Post Posted: Sun, September 02nd 2007 02:40pm    Post subject:

The rest of the questioning was all stuff that Lionel knew already – the part about Roy calling the police about his situation, what had happened with the questioning, and so on. It was surprising to Lionel, however, that he was surprised that he didn’t hear anything new. Regardless, the whole of it made Lionel glad when he was finally given his turn to cross-examine what he saw as just another lame attempt at courtroom spin.

”Tell me, Officer Har’reet, did Mr. Nullg ever once say he was guilty?”
“No, but…”
”Tell me, then, what he did say.” Wright said, blocking the attempt to change the answer away from the direction he wanted it to go.
“Objection!” Schmitty exclaimed. “That information has already been established!”

That was unexpected. Working with the objection, Lionel quickly recovered with his rebuttal.

”Your honor, I am simply trying to clarify the information for the sake of getting the facts straight.”
“Overruled.”
”Thank you, your honor. Officer Har’reet, what was it that Mr. Nullg said during the investigation?”
“He said that he thought he might have been guilty.” The bothan said with regret in his voice.
”So he thought he might have been guilty.” he repeated with emphasis for the sake of the jury. “So he never actually confessed.”
“He never said he was innocent.”
”That’s not what I asked. Did he actually ever confess?”
“No.” Again, in a tone that suggested he had not wanted to say it.
”Did Mr. Nullg even suggest that he knew who he had potentially killed?”
“No.”
”Was there anything he said even once during his questioning that suggested he knew anything other than that he had potentially killed someone?”
“No.”

Excellent

Back to top »
Space Jawa
Commander

Post Posted: Mon, September 03rd 2007 12:59am    Post subject:

Er, delete this post, please!

Assets:
3,054,300 Credits
Modifications
YKL-37R Nova Courier Schizophrenia
Stuff abord the Schizophrenia

------------------------------------------------

Star Wars: It doesn't have to make any sense!

Last edited by Space Jawa on Mon, September 03rd 2007 01:02am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Lionel Wright
Private

Post Posted: Mon, September 03rd 2007 01:03am    Post subject:

That should have been plenty to throw the entire police questioning session into question, leaving Lionel free to move on to the evidence.

”The vibroblade and clothing – do they belong to Mr. Nullg?”
“They were found in his residence, as previously stated.”

Still being difficult. No surprises there.

”But do they belong to him?”
“They match items that we know belong to Mr. Nullg.”
”Are they an exact match?”
“As close as can be told.”

Oooo…a curveball. One that he almost welcomed as a challenge to his reasoning capabilities.

”By whom?”
“By almost anyones’ standards. The blade is the same make, model and length, the clothing is of the same fabric and made by the same company, same size. All of it fits.”
”Does it? Is it not true that it is common for a company to make more than one of the same thing with all those matches for the purpose of making a profit?”
“I don’t see where you’re going with this.”

It had to be a lie. It just had to be. Shouldn’t it be obvious for an officer of his supposed skills to see where this was headed?

”Is it not possible that the blade and clothing in question do not actually belong to Mr. Nullg?”
“Objection! Leading the witness!”
”Your honor, I think it’s a perfectly legitimate question. I fail to see what I’ve actually suggested.”
“Overruled.”

It was Lionels guess that it was more for personal reasons than for his own argument, but there was a tone in Woodstaffs voice that suggested that he would need to watch where he was headed.

”The answer?”
“I fail to see how they could not belong to him.”
”Is it not true that two items that are identical in nature could easily be switched around without anyone who is not privileged to the fact that said items were switched around being any more the wiser?”
“Excuse me?”

Fair enough. He had picked his wording poorly on that one.

”If two men have identical items, and they are switched around without either knowing, how hard would it be for either to think they still have the same item they started with?”
“Fairly easy, I suppose.”

”Ah HA! Point nailed!”

“Then is it not possible that the blade and article of clothing in question may actually belong to someone else, and that Mr. Nullgs blade and article of clothing are currently in the hands of someone else?”

“Objection! Leading the witness!”

This time, the objection was upheld. Time to switch gears to keep on target.

”How much blood was there on Mr. Nullg when you finally arrived at his residence?”
“Little to none. He had washed the majority of it out.”
”And he told you this?”
“Yes.”
”Did he say why?”
“Objection! Here say.”
”Question withdrawn.”

For once, he had actually hoped his question would have been objected to.

”But you were still able to get samples from where the blood had been when all was said and done?
“Yes.”
”And were they consistent in quantity to a crime such as what Mr. Nullg has been accused of?”
“It’s difficult to tell based on the nature of the crime.”

What did have left to bring into doubt? He had beaten the evidence, destroyed the questioning, and left the blood in doubt. That seemed to about wrap it up.

”No further questions.”

Last edited by Lionel Wright on Mon, September 03rd 2007 01:03am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Lionel Wright
Private

Post Posted: Mon, September 03rd 2007 08:53pm    Post subject:

It was not surprising that Schmitty went with a cross examination in an attempt or something to recover what he could. Lionel wasn’t able to tell if the man was nervous with what the bothan had said, but he doubted anything that could be asked could really recover his position.

“Officer Har’reet, did the accused say he thought he might have killed someone?”
“Yes.”
“In your own opinion as someone who had performed a great deal of interrogations, what was the state of the accused when he said this?”
“He was very emotional.”
“What kind of emotion?”
“Sadness. Possibly regret.”
“Does this normally come from someone who has not actually committed a crime?”
”Objection! How can he know with enough certainty whether a person has actually committed a crime during questioning?”
“Upheld.”

It seemed as that was the last of his attempts to recover the investigation, as Schmitty then moved on, though that he skipped most the evidence question and went the that last portion of Lionels argument.

“The blood found on Mr. Nullg. Was there sufficient amount on him to point towards the possibility that he had been at the scene of the crime when it happened.”
“I would say so, yes.”
“The biological evidence on the bloody shirt that Mr. Nullg had – DNA, that sort of thing – was there sufficient of it to suggest that it did, in deed, belong to Mr. Nullg?”
“Based on what I know, yes.”
“In your experience, have criminals attempted to remove blood evidence from themselves after they have committed a crime?”
“Indeed.”
“No further questions.”

Wow. That had been, well, quite pathetic, if Lionel did say so himself. And with the Officer dismissed, the last of the prosecutions witnesses left, leaving the ball in Wrights court. Now it was really game time.

Last edited by Lionel Wright on Mon, September 03rd 2007 08:54pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Lionel Wright
Private

Post Posted: Fri, September 07th 2007 02:02pm    Post subject:

Lionel had decided to keep his own witness list short and sweet; to the point. There was one point that he wanted to try to get across, one that he was resting the bulk of his defense on – that even if Roy did commit the crime, his medical history put to much question onto if he had been capable of knowing what he had done. To do that, he would rely on Roy’s doctor, who could confirm his medical history, and Roy himself.

”The Defense calls Dr. Nororo Mooio to the stand.”

Dr. Mooio was an Ithorian, a doctor who ran a very private practice, functioning almost like a private lawyer would if they healed people instead of suing them and defending them. It made sense that a guy like Nullg would use that kind of medical care than a more public facility. It wouldn’t be the greatest in terms of their case, however, as he knew of more that a couple people who saw Doctors like that as shifty and, in a couple cases, just highly qualified quacks.

He didn’t see their reasoning, but he wouldn’t be surprised if Schmitty tried to exploit that or something. More as an annoyance than anything, as Lionel felt certain he could objection away any questions of that nature.

”Dr. Mooio, what is your position?”
“I am a private medical practitioner who sees to the medical care of, among others, Mr. Roy Nullg.”
”How long have you been Mr. Nullgs’ doctor?”
“For a little over seven years now.”
”Now, Mr. Nullg has a certain medical condition, is that not true?”
“Yes.”
”Would you please describe this condition for the court?”
“It is a sleep related disorder. A variation on sleepwalking that results in one behaving as if they were still awake when they are, in fact, technically asleep. The afflicted will react to stimuli occurring around them, yet because they are asleep, believe themselves to be dreaming. To one who is not aware of this disorder, it will often appear to outsiders that the afflicted are still awake, though they will often refrain from speaking and, when doing so, will speak in a less than intelligible voice, much like when one is drowsy.”

Ugh. That had been hard for even him to follow. Not good.

”I have here” he said, picking up a datapad and placing it on the evidence table ”documentation of this disease.”

”Does someone with this disorder remember these “dreams” that they have?
“As with all dreams, the memory retention of them can be unpredictable.”
”Now, Mr. Nullg has this disorder?”
“Yes.”
”How long has he had this disease?”
“It is impossible to pinpoint the exact time at which he acquired this disorder, but I first discovered that he had it not long after he began coming to me.”

”Datapads documenting that Mr. Nullg does in fact have this disorder, documented by Dr. Mooio over nearly seven years.”

He picked up another set of datapads and placed them along side the first one.

”No further questions.”

Back to top »
Lionel Wright
Private

Post Posted: Fri, October 19th 2007 12:09am    Post subject:

“Dr. Mooio, you said you run a private medial practice?” Schmitty said as stood up for his own round of questioning.
“Yes. I am fully certified.”
“Is it not true that as legitimate as you may or may not be, there are some who view your system of medical practice as questionable?”
“I have never had it said to my face.”
“But you’ve heard of people saying it?”
“I have.”
“Have you ever had Mr. Nullg looked at by a standard medical center?”
“No. There has been…”
“In the nearly seven years that you have known him to have this disorder, you are the only one that he has seen for it and has attempted to treat him for it?”
“Yes.”
“No further questions.”

Schmitty returned to his seat, opening the floor for Lionels re-examination. He had but one point to clarify.

”If you wouldn’t mind telling the court, why is it that you haven’t sent Mr. Nullg to a standard medical center?”
“There has been no need. I have attempted to treat him for it, and for the most part, his treatment works fine when used properly.”
”For the most part?”
“No treatment is perfect.”
”Thank you.”

Whew. Almost finished. All he had to do now was get Roy and few of his close buddies and relatives to testify for him and the case should have been wrapped up for him. Life was good.

Last edited by Lionel Wright on Fri, October 19th 2007 12:10am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Lionel Wright
Private

Post Posted: Thu, November 08th 2007 11:48pm    Post subject:

All was going well. Roys friends had come up, confirmed what the doc had said, and Schmitty had yet to put a dent in his argument far as he could tell. But that was the thing. It was possible the Jury saw things much differently than he did.

”The defense now calls Roy Nullg to the stand.”

After several moments, Lionel realized that Roy hadn’t moved. It was as though he was frozen in his seat. Clearing his thought, Lionel gave the man a small nudge.

“What? What? Am, eh, what?”
”The stand. You need to, uh, go up to the stand.”
“Oh, yes.”

Lionel couldn’t help but feel a little sympathy for Roy. He was probably terrified, though the fear hadn’t exactly come out until this point. No one liked being accused of anything, let alone murder.

On second thought, he could think of plenty of people who probably wouldn’t give a wampas behind if they were accused of murder. But then again, those people were more likely than not guilty of it in the first place. But Roy was not in that category of people.

”Please state your name for the record.”
“Roy Nullg.”
”And you are here today because you have been accused of murder, correct?”
“Y, y…yes.”

If he hadn’t known better, Lionel would have guessed the man was on the verge of a metal breakdown. That would certainly not go over well. Unless the jury took it as a sign that he was innocent and didn’t know what was going on. But better not to risk it.

”Mr. Nullg, would you please tell the court what you remember about the night the victim was killed?”
“It was a normal night for me. After eating dinner alone at home, I caught up on the latest news. I hadn’t made any plans and none of my friends had invited me over for anything, so I went to bed early. In the middle of the night, I woke up to discover that my clothes were bloody and I held a bloody vibroblade. My dreams that night had been…troublesome, to say the least, and putting it together, I feared that I may have unintentionally killed someone. I called the police and told them what had happened, and they quickly came over.”
”Did you have any reason to believe you had killed someone beyond your dreams and the blood?”
“No.”
”Your dreams for that night. Can you recall them for us?”
“Not really. They were fuzzy at best when I woke up. All that I remember is that they were violent. Very violent. Other than that, I haven nothing.”

Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Denon » Denon Courthouse #S13-B
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: