}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
New Tax System?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » New Tax System?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noruas
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, June 15th 2007 09:27pm    Post subject: New Tax System?

Proposal for Payments

Introduction

VIII is a unique role playing experience, in my view. Why? Because you not only have the ability to play as you unique character in the Star Wars Universe, but you also get to play as a unique faction, designed to your liking, and the game incorporates a small amounts of economics, and large scale battles, which we have seen many times in the past (I have indeed started more than my fair share of wars). And yet, as the players evolve, the game must evolve with it. One of the most obvious “flaws” of the VIII-experience is the planetary payment system, and in the following, I will point out the obvious flaws, and introduce a new system for the game.

The Flaws

So what are the flaws of the payment system? Well for one, we don’t take into account the amount of money a person makes per year, and instead we seem to be able to take everyone on the planet 1 credit per year, even if they are dirt poor. We are not allowed to tax more than this per year, meaning that the rich are barely being taxed. Well, on some planet you’re going to have a problem.

Let’s take Cato Neimoidia, an extremely wealthy world and compare it to Tatooine, a poor as dirt planet. Now, let’s say Tatooine has 8,000,000 people, and Cato Neimoidia only has 5,500,000 people. Tax time comes around and we tax everybody 1/70 of a credit. Now, somehow, Tatooine makes much more than Cato Neimoidia, for no reason at all, other than it has more people. One would expect more actual revenue from a planet of high quality, than of one of low quality, and low standards. Why can we say this? Because people on Tatooine probably make 1,000cr a year on average and people on Cato Neimoidia probably make 100,000cr on average. Shouldn’t we then we capable of taking away more money from Neimoidians than from the people of Tatooine?

The current system also makes it so that people grab up the more populated worlds instead of the less, richer worlds. Let’s say we have a ecumenopolis that is much like Tatooine, and then we have Empress Teta, another city-planet, but much richer, the current system says someone is going to go for the crappy planet before he shoots for the better planet, Empress Teta. This is seemingly odd, because wouldn’t a government want to tax richer people than more people? A real life example can be seen in the United States v. Russia. Russia has vastly more people, but the United States makes more money per budget each year. Why? Because it’s people have a higher income, higher standard of living.

The Fix

Now, I’m proposing a somewhat radical idea for somewhat mellow VIII-style play, but I’m going to ask that we can perhaps implement a tax system that is done with a more complex equation than (P/70=I), where P is population, and I is income. Instead, I’m asking that we us this formula I have designed:

[(C*P)*0.05]/70=I

Where C is per capita income, P is population and I is income. The 0.05 is to represent the tax level. Now the question is, how do we get the population of planets without populations, and how do we get per capita income? Well, for the population of unknown planets, we have our craft little random number generator, designed by Cray, which can be rolled by a designed “Planet Admin” to find the population of the planet. Since we only tax our people once per year on norm, and we use a 70 week system we divide it by 70 (so we still get a weekly income, but keep the numbers more realistic) then, our per capita can be chosen from the chart below

Income Level-----------------------------------Per Capita
Super Rich-----------------------------------------------350,000cr
High Rich------------------------------------------------300,000cr
Moderately Rich----------------------------------------250,000cr
Rich------------------------------------------------------225,000cr
Low Rich-------------------------------------------------200,000cr
High Middle----------------------------------------------175,000cr
Above Average------------------------------------------150,000cr
Average---------------------------------------------------100,000cr
Below Average-------------------------------------------75,000cr
High Low Class-------------------------------------------45,000cr
Above Av. Low Class------------------------------------40,000cr
Low Class---------------------------------------------------30,000cr
Sub Low Class-----------------------------------------------17,500cr
Poor-----------------------------------------------------------7,500cr
Extremely Poor---------------------------------------------1,000cr

Now, if a planet doesn’t exactly have canon info, we take the die system, assign each level a number, and roll. If an unassigned number appears, roll again, until a level is found.

Here are some examples:

Coruscant
1,000,000,000,000 people
High Low Class (While some are super rich, many on the lower levels are poorer)
32,142,857,142,857cr per week

Empress Teta
4,000,000,000 people
Rich
642,857,142,857cr per week

Seems a bit more enticing to take lower population, higher money making planets, doesn’t it?

And if you need a man to do this system, look no further, as you read this I am working on, or have completed an Excel Worksheet that compiles the math by you inputting the population and the per capita, and get out weekly revenue.

Of course, the new numbers seem extremely higher, but relatively, everybody makes the same amount, and everybody can afford more defenses and etc.

But implementing this system, we’re going to have to make it much, much harder to take planets, by assigning them actual defense forces, and making diplomatic takeovers harder. How? Well, based on the income of the planet, we can determine what the defense force would be, and the chances of taking over a planet diplomatically should be reduced to 1 out of 20, flexible though, determining how enticing your offer is to them.

Planetary Admin

A new type of admin would have to be made though, to do all of this, as CMAC is overly busy as is. This admin would do most things relating to planets. I hope you all do not take this the wrong way, but being one of the best with numbers (economically) on this site (unless Gavin still plays, or one of you is an economist and I don’t yet know it), I would be one of the best, and complaints would be submitable to CMAC the standard way.

Thanks for reading,

VvD/Noruas

Current Assets: 76,530,000,000
 Back to top »
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, June 15th 2007 09:49pm    Post subject:

And this system basically benefits which power that owns all these worlds with significant population or rich people? The core is where everyone would immediately point. They would then go ahead and find the map legend. Guess who has brutally taken control of the core?

I think this system will add a little fun to the game, personally, it will probably finely give the Rebellion a reason to start more then a defense, can't wait.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." - Sun Tzu

Last edited by Brote Heckler on Fri, June 15th 2007 09:50pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Noruas
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Fri, June 15th 2007 09:57pm    Post subject:

There are plenty of non-rich Core Worlds, and rich Outer Rim worlds (the Chiss would be somewhat rich).

This system also opens up every planet in the Star Wars Galaxy mind you, leading to thousands of new Role Play opportunities. How? Because if you can go to any planet with the intent of taking it over, you can start dozens of different story lines, ie, taking it over via business, or rebellion, or any other of countless ways.

Edit: I'm not in any way discontent with the current system, these are just some suggestions.

Current Assets: 76,530,000,000

Last edited by Noruas on Fri, June 15th 2007 10:00pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sat, June 16th 2007 04:48am    Post subject:

Quote:
United States v. Russia. Russia has vastly more people

Actually, it doesn't. It hasn't since WW2 (when it had 40 million more)

Current population of the US is a shade over 300,000,000. Russias is about 150,000,000.

So :P I love this idea that Russia is filled with billions of Communist flesh-eating vampire ghosts, when in fact you outnumber it. It's cute.

I'll get back to reading the proposal now :P

EDIT: Finished. Okay, those numbers ARE too high.

Quote:
implementing this system, we’re going to have to make it much, much harder to take planets, by assigning them actual defense forces,

Ever been to Devaron? Or Coruscant? Or Nespis? Or That Rebellion World They Want To Defend (wherever it may be). Planets are already too well defended.

One word: IMC-2000s. Okay, one word and a number. A superpowerful ISD-destroying in one shot death gun that can only be made by the Empire. They cost something like 20 million, and they can destroy an ISD. And no one else can have them (just mentioning that again to keep that out there)

Then there's mines, planetary weapons, Golans which people buy for some reason, shields... try attacking Devaron and see how far you get. Not with ten thousand men could you do it. It is folly.

If incomes got any higher we'd have REALISTIC sized fleets of tens of thousands, ala Clone Wars. The Battle System (Cray) would literally die under the strain. I'm not convinced this could work, really. Unless you revise the numbers down massively.

-Grand Admiral, Chief of Staff of Nespis Defence Force-

"LOL DILDOS" - Cray | "FFS" - Ams | "Moff, you should know better." - Han

Alex says:
I outnumber him ten million to one
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:
everytime i talk to alexus, i love him a little more

Holder of the 30,000th post

Inventor of the phrase "I'll get my killin' hat." (Seriously. Google it.)

"My gut can't repel comedy of that magnitude!" - Jace911

Last edited by Velora Antana on Sat, June 16th 2007 04:56am; edited 3 times in total
 Back to top »
Xaph
Cadet

Post Posted: Sat, June 16th 2007 08:00am    Post subject:

VvD, I agree somewhat with your plan, but this, as has been pointed out so many times before, is not like SWD, and is primarily character driven.
Don Corleone
Corporal

Post Posted: Mon, June 18th 2007 06:35am    Post subject:

I'll assume that the Gavin you mean in that post is me VvD, and if so, I'm still here.

I agree with both the idea and Xaph, while it's a good idea, it might not be best to impliment on a game this... far along.
 Back to top »
Eric Brooks
Private

Post Posted: Tue, June 19th 2007 10:57am    Post subject:

I like the current system. It makes it too complicated for a Character-Based RPG if you take economics into it.
 Back to top »
Brote Heckler
Sergeant

Post Posted: Tue, June 19th 2007 03:08pm    Post subject:

Were talking ab out factions, people who want to play as characters is one thing, but there are others of us who have fun with economics and rule factions for that reason. We had a real problem once of to many people having control of planets and organizations and it being to easy for them to do the stupidest things. If we had economics actually involved MORE people would be inclined to play as characters then those who want galactic dominance from a single planet (which then the Empire has to intervene or the Rebellion and it makes things harder for factions like the DRWP).
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." - Sun Tzu
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ams Jendob
CMAC Battlemaster

Post Posted: Tue, June 19th 2007 03:43pm    Post subject:

Galactic dominance from a single planet would be difficult on its own. :p

Also, not to sound harsh or anything, but this isn't a nationsim. If you want to play a nationsim, there are many out there. The factions in this game are an extension of the characters, not the other way around.

Supreme Commander of the Central and Southern Galactic Segments, Director of Imperial Intelligence
Expand

Galaxy Map|Board and RPG Rules|Game Guide

"The Preying Mantis often sizes up a potential mate while wearing too much eyeliner..." - Velora

"You are so cool, you make James Bond proud..." - My Dad... sarcastically. Don't try to juggle cutlery. :p
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jacen Tranada
Corporal

Post Posted: Thu, June 21st 2007 08:11am    Post subject:

I wouldn't say hard as such ... you'd just have to be a little bit creative.

Or have Coruscant or Metellos as that planet ... either way is good :P

Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » New Tax System?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: