}
Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Short Stories
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Fan Activities » Short Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 03:37am    Post subject: Short Stories

I've recently decided to start writing some short stories that I'd been thinking about. Some will be funny, some will be Thurber-esque (like the Fables for our Time), some will be thought provoking.

Read and offer me tips for improvement. I demand it.

I'll start off with a short and deeply cynical story I wrote yesterday:

SHORT STORIES

The Boy and the Dragon

There was a spot by the little stream that wound along the Cleardale Valley where a tiny conglomeration of stones too stubborn to be borne from their resting place by the weak current had transformed the still waters into a tiny set of rapids. Small silver fish would dart around the rocks in a miniature slalom race, just like the ones that were held annually at the Village Fair.

This spot was the boy’s favourite; it was his own private stream that no one else knew about. Grown-ups were too busy to wander through the nearby grove and over the ridge of the hill to the valley below. Girls were too boring to explore, staying at home and playing with dolls, or sewing, or whatever it was girls did. All the other boys in the village were too old to want to see the stream; they spent their time working the fields, tending to the horses, and gazing at the older girls across the High Street.

This dearth of any contemporaries had driven the boy to exploring, and thinking, and playing soldiers with sticks he found on the gently sloping sides of the valley. He would go to the stream every day to skip pebbles, and lie back and dream of the far off lands the ripples might eventually make their way down to.

But one day, a long time since the thousandth day he had picked his way down the face of the valley-side to watch the stream, he was not alone. He noticed the Dragon as soon as he crested the hill, and he had kept his eyes trained on it as he slowly advanced down, through the long grass, over the big rock that lay half way along the valley floor, past the pile of sticks he had accumulated over the years – pausing only to stop and pick up his favourite one.

The Dragon was about five feet long, with deep green pearlescent scales that covered its body. There was a small ridge of soft, rubbery spikes along its back, and it was sitting on the other side of the stream, eyes half shut, mouth half open, breathing softly. With each breath a little puff of orange smoke would escape its nostrils and wind up into the air before drifting apart and fading away.

The boy stopped on his side of the stream, the Dragon sitting four feet from him, narrow pupils lazily following each darting movement he made. From what he could see of the creature’s underbelly, it was softer, with finer scales. He put down his stick – he found himself to be quite unafraid. He found his voice. “Hello,” he said, cautiously. The Dragon focused on his face and sighed out another cloud of fume. “Are you a Dragon?”

The Dragon nodded, opening his eyes fully, then nodding his head to shake away his doze. “Yes,” he replied, in a deep masculine voice that evoked images of clouds, and spices, and – for some reason – dark chocolate. “I am. Who are you?”

“I’m a boy,” replied the boy, nervously, and then remembered what his father had told him to call visitors, “Sir.” The Dragon nodded as if this was apparent, and adjusted his sitting position. He had talons like the sparrowhawk that sometimes circled the village, but they seemed blunt. One of them was broken. “Are you going to eat me?”

“Hardly,” replied the Dragon, “I’m not that sort of Dragon. Those big ones you get in the south with their massive flappy wings and their fiery breath and their horrid eating habits.” His tone was refined, yawning, almost petulant. The boy wasn’t even feeling nervous now, but there was still a worm of fear curled up in his stomach. They had been told stories about Dragons. “Eating young girls,” the Dragon continued, “And always virgins, too. What does that do for the taste, I ask them, and they just try and stamp on me. Brutes.”

The boy sat down as well, his head about level with the Dragon’s, but still slightly lower. There was a question he had wanted to ask since he first saw the creature. “Can you fly?” he asked. The Dragon snorted with laughter, and another puff of smoke curled up into the sky.

“Look at my wings, silly boy,” he said, in a derisory way, and the boy could see that they were rather stubby, and they didn’t move much other than the odd twitch when the Dragon breathed. “I’m an evolutionary dead-end.”

The boy considered asking what that meant, but was worried he wouldn’t understand. There was already a lot he didn’t understand, something his father reminded him of almost daily. “Can I show you to the other people at my village?” he asked.

“If you want,” sniffed the Dragon, “I’m not budging from this spot, though. It’s most picturesque,” he continued, looking up at the small copse at the top of one side of the valley-side, “I shall stay here several days, I’ll imagine.”

“Alright,” said the boy, “I’m sure they’ll be really looking forward to meeting you. I’ll see you tomorrow, Dragon.” The Dragon nodded.

“Goodbye,” he said, “Be careful walking home, you don’t want to get hurt at your age.” He stopped, and chuckled. “Listen to me, I sound like my wife.”

The boy smiled and nodded, and made his way back home to tell everyone in the village what had happened. The next morning, they all went down to the stream in the valley and chased the Dragon out of their land until it was too tired to run, when they set upon it with sticks and rocks and pitchforks that shattered his pearly scales and tore his useless but ornamental wings.

The boy made himself a necklace out of the unfortunate creature’s teeth, and as the summers swept by began to work in the fields, tend to the horses, and gaze at the girls across the high street. He eventually married a very pretty girl named Lalith, with whom he had four children, who in turn bore him seven grandchildren. Every winter festival he would tell them of the fearsome battle the village people fought against a terrible sixty-foot Dragon, and show them the Dragon-tooth necklace. He died, old and rich and fat and happy, at the age of a hundred and five.

Moral: The only good Dragon is a dead Dragon.
 Back to top »
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 03:44am    Post subject:

OMG. That's disturbing!!!

Alex, write something more... happy. lol.

Sorta humorous in a sense, but really sad. :(
Jane Williams
Lance Corporal

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 04:50am    Post subject:

poor dragon...

[New Image to Come]

Next in line of succession - Tom Williams
 Back to top »
Xaph
Cadet

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 11:46am    Post subject:

Quote:
Girls were too boring to explore

ROFL.
Alatáriël Pallanén
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 01:21pm    Post subject:

True. :P
Surge Skyes
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 01:51pm    Post subject:

This thread disturbs me.

Grand Air Marshal Surge Skyes

CEO of Skyes Cargo

AWC-180II Red Hawk

1,019,052,120 Cr

6,000 Per Week
 Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 02:26pm    Post subject:

That's quite a hurtful thing to say :(

-Grand Admiral, Chief of Staff of Nespis Defence Force-

"LOL DILDOS" - Cray | "FFS" - Ams | "Moff, you should know better." - Han

Alex says:
I outnumber him ten million to one
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:
everytime i talk to alexus, i love him a little more

Holder of the 30,000th post

Inventor of the phrase "I'll get my killin' hat." (Seriously. Google it.)

"My gut can't repel comedy of that magnitude!" - Jace911

Last edited by Velora Antana on Sun, May 20th 2007 02:27pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Surge Skyes
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 02:47pm    Post subject:

Okay, I loved your story about the dragon being stoned. :P

CEO of Skyes Cargo

AWC-180II Red Hawk

1,019,052,120 Cr

6,000 Per Week
 Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 02:56pm    Post subject:

Don't you understand the message of the story? The Dragon is perfectly nice and pleasant, but because it's a Dragon they kill it. They don't judge it for who it is, but what it is.

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Space Jawa
Commander

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 03:12pm    Post subject:

I get it! The moral of the story is a saterical metaphore for people hating one another based on race, gender, and other frivolous reasons!

Assets:
3,054,300 Credits
Modifications
YKL-37R Nova Courier Schizophrenia
Stuff abord the Schizophrenia

------------------------------------------------

Star Wars: It doesn't have to make any sense!
 Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, May 20th 2007 03:15pm    Post subject:

Space Jawa recieves one cookie.

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Dr. Gregory House, M.D.
Corporal

Post Posted: Mon, May 21st 2007 03:31pm    Post subject:

What!? I so totally got it, I just didn't feel the need to point it out!
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
 Back to top »
Surge Skyes
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Mon, May 21st 2007 05:38pm    Post subject:

I did too. I just said it was disturbing. :P

CEO of Skyes Cargo

AWC-180II Red Hawk

1,019,052,120 Cr

6,000 Per Week
 Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Wed, May 23rd 2007 12:36pm    Post subject:

Here's another one, non-comedic this time.

Desperate Measures

“In the beginning, the sun formed, igniting in stellar fusion and forcing out her first feeble rays. The dust left over from the reaction, once it had settled into its own orbit, began clump together, as dust often will do when left in orbit of a young star. Slowly, but surely, the planets formed – seven in all. The seed of life withered on six, but on the fourth planet out it flourished, leading, eventually, to a race of beings who called themselves the Danladi.

After a tumultuous period of countless generations where leaps in technology were followed by deep dark ages that lasted for centuries, where countries would form and fall at the drop of a hat, where wars raged over the nine continents almost continuously, progress began to be made. The Danladi, breeding and evolution eventually erasing ethnic boundaries and a new philosophy of thoughtfulness leading to a unity of religions and cultures, set aside the countless grievances we had fabricated in the past and began to dream of what lay beyond our home.

We sent mechanical probes to each of the Six Jewels – as we call them – followed by increasingly intricate and intelligent robots, and then manned missions. To our disappointment, we found nothing. Nonetheless, we continued to dream.

The Danladi then were a people given to quiet introspection, analysing their own thoughts and dreams and emotions to a level other races might not. We were not ones for loud outbursts or spiteful acts, and this was reflected by the culture that emerged from our unity. Our theatre was mainly soft dialogue between small groups of people on the subject of morality, our songs lilting and whimsical. Numerous papers and novels were written that attempted to work out what an alien culture would be like, and the Danladi made boundless progress in all fields of Science, rejoicing that we had been able to outgrow the practice of war.

Over the decades and the centuries, we began to establish colonies in other inhabitable star systems to alleviate the crushing problem of overpopulation, once again looking to the stars to solve our worries, as we had so many times. Soon increasing numbers of Danladi were moving to this new speckling of dependencies across known space, and all was good.

Such was the state of affairs when three years prior to this - the nineteenth day of the third quartile of the Astral Year 6856 – three years to the day – the first of a hundred warfleets arrived above one of the glittering ninety two worlds of the Danladi people.”

Dren stopped, sighed, and bit the end of his stylus thoughtfully. This was foolish, he knew. The Histories would be written by the Historians, and any account of the next few days written by him would be analysed mercilessly by the news reporters and the politicians. Still. I can’t do this without pinning it down on a page… classic example of the enforced loneliness of my station. But he wasn’t lonely. He had his crew, who were his family, part of a chain of command and responsibility far looser than that of the Enemy, or any other race they had stumbled across in the last few years. He sighed again, as if his worry would be expelled in his breath, and continued.

“I am writing this to try and get some sense of what has happened, and what will happen shortly,” continued Dren, writing feverishly as the stylus brushed over the writing tablet, depositing his words on the screen in a bundle of pixels, “And I hope that other Danladi, and other races we have encountered and may one day encounter, may also make sense of this.” Dren shook his head; that introduction was more of a meandering attempt at poetic history. He wiped everything but the last paragraph, and after staring at it for another five minutes let out a gasp of frustration and left the writing tablet on his desk, its glowing screen casting a forlorn light in the darkness of Dren’s quarters.

He stood, pushing his seat to the desk, then waved open the door, heading out to the solace of the corridors. The starship hummed, the bristles of the soft floor coverings trembling as the engines groaned out as much power as the engineers dared coax out of them.

When Dren reached the bridge, nudging his way past a silent crewman, Kali was already reading out the day’s casualty reports. This far from home, the news would be several days out of date, which would cause much heartache to those who received the news of a fallen friend or family member; any prayers or mourning spared for them would be too late to be of any service.

Dren had always found Kali to be a rare beauty, and her conveyance of the dealings of war lent a strange and distorted undertone to that. I’m under a lot of stress and am not thinking properly, Dren chided himself. “DDV Opaline Splendour,” Kali announced in her flowing, enunciated speech, the subtle inflection of the second syllable of each word betraying the region of Danladis she had grown up in, “DDV Joyous Shout, DDV Tomorrow’s Sun, DDV Enlightened Thoughts,” at the last name, one of the assembled crew, who stood tight lipped at their stations and in the doorways, gasped in distress. Another woman, an officer, put her arm around him and squeezed his shoulder, her face set in the expression of deep sorrow that so many people had assumed since the war began.

“And Janillin has finally fallen to the Enemy,” Kali continued, that wonderful voice cracking slightly with sadness, “The last city fell two days ago. There were no survivors from the population.” A murmur spread through the crew, and Dren, looking to his left and right at the worried faces, could understand their worries. With Janillin now taken, there were but a handful of Danladi worlds that still stood. Not to forget, he also thought, seeing how many utterly devastated faces there were in that view, how many of us lived on Janillin, and how many lost their lives trying to protect it.

An officer - Navigator Felan, from the sound of his voice – began to sing. Another voice joined the chorus, and another, and soon the entire bridge was united in song, their voices high and clear, the Danladi Hymn of the Fallen echoing through the bridge and down the corridors of the ship. Tears on their faces, the Danladi wailed the final verse of the chant, and bowed their heads in reverence. No one had tripped over their words or forgotten the lines; they had sung the song too often for that.

Kali and Felan joined Dren at the front of the bridge, in front of the helmsman’s station, where the toughened surface of the main viewport met the floor of the room. There were tiny scratches and scuff marks all along the surface of the pseudo-glass – before the war, every viewport of the ship would have been polished daily. But back then they had been an explorer and passenger ferry. There was no room for frivolity on a warship.

“How long do you think we have?” Felan asked, initiating the conversation without any preamble, a habit he had picked up from the war. Before, people had crafted their discourse, thought of it as an art. But now, there wasn’t time for that. There was only the harsh reality of war. “Now that Janillin is gone. They’re moving faster than before.”

“It’s only a matter of time,” Kali said, a sigh suffusing her voice. Dren wondered if she had a husband, and then chided himself once more. Now was not the time. Not for those sorts of thoughts. “We haven’t got long. What are we going to do?” she despaired, head dipping downward in anxious contemplation.

“We have one option left,” Dren said, quietly, and Kali and Felan looked up from their thoughts and into his troubled aquamarine eyes. “One option, assigned to me by the highest authority. You’ve wondered, yes? About the long flight, and the delivery just before we left?”

“I think we all have,” Kali said, “Especially with things progressing as they are. Why are we out so far?” She brushed back a lock of her dark blue hair. Dren looked around the bridge, and decided it was time for the truth.

He said, “You’d better come with me.” It would be good to finally be able to tell someone.

---

Five minutes later, Dren had sealed the door to the ship’s Projection Room – once a tool for the projection of lifelike holographic forests and mountains, it was now mainly used for mission briefings and strategic thinking. Dren withdrew a tiny data sliver from his pocket and inserted it into the slot next to the door. A silver sphere, roughly a meter wide, materialised in the middle of the otherwise empty room.

Felan and Kali looked at Dren expectantly, and he began to pace slowly around the sphere, waving his arm through the image, distorting it. Finally, he came to a halt and began to speak.

“It’s called the Victory Weapon,” he said, “and the only one in existence is currently waiting in Launch Tube Five.” He began to pace again, wishing desperately that the mission had been entrusted to someone else – but there were few ships left, and his was the largest that could make the voyage in time. “It’s a simple device. Fired out of a launch tube, it will traverse thirty light minutes in forty seconds.” His voice broke slightly, and he coughed to get it under control. “When we arrive at the Enemy’s home system we will approach to a distance of thirty light minutes from their sun and deploy the weapon.” He felt sick, and he knew he was perspiring, his normally turquoise skin paler than it was meant to be. “When it reaches the sun, the weapon will detonate with precisely the right amount of energy to destabilise it. It will undergo a supernova it could never have experienced otherwise. Eight minutes after that, the Enemy’s capital world will be annihilated by the shockwave.”

Kali and Felan, shocked, stood agape. Kali finally managed to say, “The Enemy’s home system?” Dren nodded, eyes pricking.

“Over ninety five percent of their population is centred in it,” he said, “They will be all but destroyed. Danladis will be saved.”

“How many of them?” Felan asked, and Dren felt a shiver run up his spine.

“Forty five billion,” he replied, hoarsely, his voice no more than a whisper. He walked over to the wall and pressed the eject button, the data sliver once again making its home in his pocket. He turned to Felan and Kali, and said, “I don’t want to do this.”

“It’s the only way,” Kali said, surprising Dren. Kali had always been such a gentle person, such a kind soul. “We can’t win this. We’ve lost most of our worlds, a full three quarters of our people are killed. Our navy is barely the size of a single enemy warfleet. They ignore all our pleas for unconditional surrender. What else is there to do but die?”

Dren nodded sombrely. “We’ll arrive tomorrow morning,” he said, and left. There was nothing else to say.

---

Fearing sleep and the terrible dreams it would bring, Dren had turned up the lightning in his quarters to full, chasing away the shadows to lurk in the corners of the room. His writing tablet remained half full on the desk. Pulling on his uniform tunic and trousers, Dren padded over to the drinks cabinet to peruse the meagre collection of spirits he kept in there, hoping that they could provide the courage he needed to face the morning.

The door beeped, and Dren went to open it. When it slid open, Kali was standing there, also in her uniform. Wordlessly, he let her in and closed the door.

“You’re worried about tomorrow,” he stated. He returned to the drinks cabinet and located a half-empty bottle of Leilis, a mild spirit made from pressed fruit. He poured two glasses and joined Kali on the wide seat in front of the shorter table that held various papers and magazines he never had the inclination to read.

“I wanted to see you,” she replied, and her voice was like honey.

“So, you’re worried about tomorrow,” Dren repeated. He knew that the scenario kept playing in his mind again and again, and he knew Kali couldn’t just shrug it off.

“I am,” Kali said, “But I also wanted to see you, Dren.” She smiled and leaned in closer, setting down her drink. “I’ve always wondered about it… haven’t you?” The look in her violet eyes left Dren no doubts what she meant. Her blue skin seemed so soft, and the uniform tunic defined her figure so well, and her scent was so intoxicating. He fought.

“We’ve both been under a lot of stress,” he said, tremulously, “I don’t want to rush into anything. Maybe we should wait…” until after the mission, he wanted to say, but found it hard to voice. Things would be so very different after the mission.

“Has it been long since you last coupled with someone?” Kali asked him.

“Oh, too long,” Dren replied, and she nodded.

“I’ve felt this way a long time,” Kali said, “Don’t think this is because of tomorrow.” She leant in and kissed him, her surprisingly forceful arms snaking around him to loosen his tunic, and Dren found he couldn’t – and didn’t want to – resist any more.

---

Dren was awoken from a peaceful slumber by the chiming of the communication system. Kali, bleary eyed, but smiling, looked up at him, swathed in his bed sheets. He returned the smile, and then the crushing reality hit him. The chimes would be to inform him that they were at their destination. He jabbed the intercom.

Felan’s voice, tinny and plagued with static, told him. “Five minutes, sir.” Dren looked at Kali, who set her mouth and nodded.

They arrived on the bridge together, just in time to see the ship slide from the white corridor of hyperspace and into a view of stars, infinite in number and in majesty. Millions of kilometre* away, the unsuspecting Enemy slept. Their sun was a beacon of light in the middle of the forward viewport.

All eyes were on Dren as he walked, mesmerised, up to the space between the two forward workstations. He sighed, the deepest sigh of his life, the sum of all his responsibilities and fears, and then he gave the order.

The tiny silvery sphere shot from the Danladi warship, quickly out of sight, and continued past a crimson world with snow on its poles, past thousands of gunmetal-grey starships that orbited a blue and green world with a single moon, past another Enemy outpost above a planet of storms, and then the sphere was nearer and nearer to the Enemy’s sun, nearer than the tiny pockmarked planet that sweltered in its heat, just fifty million kilometre* out.

The sphere plunged into the star’s corona, and with a flash the blazing sun was transformed into a curtain of light that swept away all those worlds, all those warships. Eight minutes later, it was all over.

The Danladi, tears streaming down their faces, sang their Hymn for the burning Earth, the crisp words filling the bridge and down the corridors and all the way to Danladis, where a thousand years later a new star burned brighter than ever in the sky.

Last edited by Velora Antana on Thu, May 24th 2007 04:01am; edited 3 times in total
 Back to top »
Xaph
Cadet

Post Posted: Wed, May 23rd 2007 12:48pm    Post subject:

Velora Antana wrote:
Here's another one, non-comedic this time.

:(
Trassk
Staff Sergeant

Post Posted: Wed, May 23rd 2007 04:31pm    Post subject:

That last one was...interesting.
-1,165,126 Per Week

"If Godzilla had a gun..."
–Jase Denora

"THE SHARK'S NOT WORKING!"
-Random person working on JAWS

"Beavers and ducks!"
-Some guy on BANDITS.

"I should face my fears by leaping off a roof?"
-Jace

One Trandoshan's a problem. Two is a fight. Three is suicide.
 Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Thu, May 24th 2007 03:42am    Post subject:

So, you didn't like it? :P

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Surge Skyes
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Thu, May 24th 2007 07:10pm    Post subject:

I did.

CEO of Skyes Cargo

AWC-180II Red Hawk

1,019,052,120 Cr

6,000 Per Week
 Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Fri, May 25th 2007 02:51am    Post subject:

Recieve from my bounty five cookies, each more cookieish than the last.

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, May 27th 2007 09:29am    Post subject:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t73DxNi9fXA

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Surge Skyes
First Sergeant

Post Posted: Sun, May 27th 2007 11:52am    Post subject:

Yay! :D

CEO of Skyes Cargo

AWC-180II Red Hawk

1,019,052,120 Cr

6,000 Per Week
 Back to top »
Velora Antana
ECP Member

Post Posted: Sun, May 27th 2007 12:00pm    Post subject:

Oops, wrong thread.

Alex says:
Alex says:
GOOD ODDS FOR ANY GREEK

Expand

Crazed says:

Back to top »
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny Forum Index » Fan Activities » Short Stories
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: